Will GM's V8 1500 Trucks Match the Torque of Ford's New V6 Eco

Gorehamj

I'm making the switch next time - going with an F250 Crew Cab 4x4 6.2 gas. I do not want another loaded to the moon truck, and I miss the solid front axle.

Making us buy loaded to get the 6.2 is insane.

Ford's annual employee pricing sale makes buying the F250 cheaper than a 1500.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^^ Just lost another one, GM! :thumbs:

I'm making the switch next time - going with an F250 Crew Cab 4x4 6.2 gas. I do not want another loaded to the moon truck, and I miss the solid front axle.

Making us buy loaded to get the 6.2 is insane.

Ford's annual employee pricing sale makes buying the F250 cheaper than a 1500.

What about a solid front axle do you miss?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

What about a solid front axle do you miss?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The ride height/ground clearance for one, and the ease of repair. Once the seals start leaking on the IFS front diff, they have to drop it out to swap them, not so with the SFA.

And like mentioned above, it want/need the torque the GM 6.2 offers, but do not want a loaded truck again.

Couple of thoughts.

Isn't the GM torque rating said to be conservative?

Also, the sound of the 6.2 beats the living daylights out of the whine of that little V6. Sometimes that's worth so much more than 10 measly ft/lbs.

And, I bet the 6.2 will get better milage towing, or at least when ripping the top of that torque curve. Overall though, the V6 would get better MPG of course.

The supercharged Corvette version of the 6.2L is rated at 650 hp with 650 ft lb's torque. Appears to me that there's plenty of room to grow for the GM twins 6.2.

It's all a numbers game! Horsepower in the operating range! Without knowing what RPM the Ford is rated at, there is no way to compare. The current GM 6.2 at 420HP @5700 and 460TQ @4200 (I hope my RPM is correct) computes to 368 to 420HP in the operating range. The Ford is 375HP and HP at torque peak is normally about 50 less, who runs best will depend a lot on the drive train matchup. Where the Ford will really shine is at altitude.

Mike

My 6.2 was sure happy pulling my 4500lb trailer over Monarch Pass, CO at about 11,300 feet. We were passing easily. Of note is that it's hard to hear the engine when cruising along but when it needs to pull, it clears its throat and over the hill it goes. On the down hill, trailer mode with Manual gear selection and I barely had to touch the brakes.

My question is, who the heck needs a 10 speed transmission in a 1/2 ton truck?????? IMHO, manufacturers are really starting to get stupid just to try and sell trucks to a bunch of followers. Wait until you have to repair that 10 speed auto....

My question is, who the heck needs a 10 speed transmission in a 1/2 ton truck?????? IMHO, manufacturers are really starting to get stupid just to try and sell trucks to a bunch of followers. Wait until you have to repair that 10 speed auto....

It's called needing to get every bit of good fuel economy as possible because of CAFE standards that have to be met.

Yeah, thank the government when it costs you $10,000 for a tranny rebuild ...

My 6.2 was sure happy pulling my 4500lb trailer over Monarch Pass, CO at about 11,300 feet. We were passing easily. Of note is that it's hard to hear the engine when cruising along but when it needs to pull, it clears its throat and over the hill it goes. On the down hill, trailer mode with Manual gear selection and I barely had to touch the brakes.

10-4 On that! When you hang your leg in a 6.2 they really thunder! I live in Central Washington and no matter which way I leave it's up hill. I'm well below my gcwr @11,000+ so the 6.2/3.73 eats up the grades like an "A card" Teamster!

I don't know at what RPM the new "mega torque" eco boost is rated at, but if it is like the older ones @2500, I could care less! The only time my truck sees 2500 at full throttle (WOT!) is for a split second in first gear on my way to road speed. To me the perfect spot for torque peak on a gasoline engine is around 4000 RPM, that way you can cruise at less than torque peak then down shift to torque peak at a higher RPM where you have some real power, (HP= torque X RPM / 5252), and still have the flexibility to run up to 5700 RPM if the occasional Ford gets in the way!

Like I ask my friends, "is your Power Stroke missing"? Check under my tires!!

Mike

I "thought" I read somewhere that this new ten speed is a joint venture with Ford and GM. if true, I'm wondering why GM Let Ford get the jump on them by introducing it a year ahead of them. Doesn't seem to me to be very smart marketing strategy.

I "thought" I read somewhere that this new ten speed is a joint venture with Ford and GM. if true, I'm wondering why GM Let Ford get the jump on them by introducing it a year ahead of them. Doesn't seem to me to be very smart marketing strategy.

It's true, it is a joint venture.

Archived