Anyone using the wireless charging with a Galaxy S6 Edge+?

I was really excited for this feature, until I went to put my phone in and find out it's about 1/16" too big. The phone sits at the slightest angle, and doesn't make full contact. I got it to charge one time but I think it was a fluke because I've tried a hundred times since then and it won't pick it up. Anyone wise dealing with this, or have suggestions?

The first phone I tried in my 2016 was a s6 edge. It fit well and worked no problem.

I no have a s7 edge and again it fits flat and charges no problem. I have a low profile case and with the case on its has to be sitting just right to work and sometimes disconnects. Are you trying to charge it with a case on?

The first phone I tried in my 2016 was a s6 edge. It fit well and worked no problem.

I no have a s7 edge and again it fits flat and charges no problem. I have a low profile case and with the case on its has to be sitting just right to work and sometimes disconnects. Are you trying to charge it with a case on?

Nope, it's too big with the case off..I might have to upgrade to the S7!

• 2 weeks later...

I took my S7 case off. Its hit or miss. I position it to the very back. It says its charging but the red cell charging light goes off. So it hit or miss. A poor GM design and no fore sight. My 2016 is 3 weeks old. Really let down, but not as bad as one has to hardwire in to use text to voice. FORD puts this 60k truck to,shame.

Chuck

PAE

No not text to voice. But fitting a Samsung S7 edge. IF you have any case it will not charge in the arm rest cradle. I took my slip on case off and it still was a hit or miss to find "ThatSpot" so the phone would charge.

It appears GM utilized a rubber pad that may be too thick, AND the recessed area the phone sits in is to small to accomodate any phone with a case errr correction even without a case. It is rumored that the '16 eacalade is what will work. Whats a couple hundie to self convert after spending all this hard earned cash.

So say the present Denali was during the refinance / bailout, ok thats 8 years ago! I see 2 to 3 years for design paper to hard parts WITH UPDATES like all the camo preproduction vehicles. Din't tell me no one in design looked at cell phones? I got some hot land to sell you in Hawaii!

• 2 weeks later...

So today after work I go to a Cadillac dealership in search of the arm rest. They was really nice to show me the escalade and I looked it over. I took some photos and tried to charge my Samsung S7 Edge. The sales person was great and he knows the pitfalls of the wireless charging. I had to pair the cell phone to start with on the escalade. After it was paried I took off the slim slip phone case off. I lay my phone and it starts charging but it ook a a little bit lets say 20 to 30 seconds. So it was easier to charge. I tried with my case and it didn't work at all.

The shape of the charging pad on the escalade is some what like a tear drop shape, our GMC trucks is rectangular in shape. We have ridges on the pad and the esclade has diamond shape.

20160809_164915_zpsnpvibojp.jpg

The GMC truck design

20160809_172907_zpskcz56ian.jpg

So now we can see the difference. My thought is we cannot charge any phone with any type of case. Yes I find it was a bit tight BUT I think a good strong aftermarket charge in the escalade armrest will work. Guess that means I may try it IF the cost isn't crazy. I will try an coax my dealer shop person to show me how totak the armrest off and take things so I can mount a "Samsung fast charge" wireless charger.

Chuck

PAE

My S7 needs to be pushed towards the back of the charge area for charging to hook.

Pushed to the back, it works every time. (as long s it is just the phone)

If the phone is in the add-on 'Lifeproof' case ti will not sit flat and will not charge.

AA only works when phone is connected by usb cable, which of course means wireless charging isn't required.

I was thinking of the strength of the coil charging on our trucks. Now we all compare to those desk quick chargers that you can drop your cell phone on it and it charges it good. I tried on mu cell phone and it too needs to be centered to work. So the central placement is needed in both situations.

The next thing was distance from the cell phone to the charging unit. I have a Samsung quick desk charger round in shape. I placed several items to get a estimated distance between the charger and the phone. Yes I can easily charge my cell phone with its case on. I can also add almost 1/4 inches of business cards and other plastic items and it still charges.

Lets look at the situation on our truck wireless charging situation.

This is a Escalade console but the Denali arm rest is the same.

3e8a4ed5c39096fff1637cf6e671cba1_zpsquz0

that little box under item 7 is the charging unit basicly in a plastic enclosed box so it can be placed during production into the armrest. So figure this is like your home charger sitting on your desk or table. BUT

NOW add item #2 which has again plastic on the top armrest pad. The plastic in the recess section again adds material between your phone AND the charge. NOW MORE

ADD in item 3 which is the cover that holds the rubber pad you see on the recess armrest. BUT THERE'S MORE!

ADD THAT item 3 the rubber PAD!!! now we have enough distance and obstructions to barely make our chargers work due to diminished charging signals!

Don't have to worry about your phone case, I don't think if you got it to fit into the recess area the charging would be dismal.

This is why those customers that have their phone fit into the recess the phone cycles on charging and dropping charging. I bet its a combination of voltage from running the power systems and slight changes due to heat or road vibration while in operation.I think this is a reasonable reason it does not work.

Now to see IF our GM engineers ever look at these forums, how about reducing the distance by removing materials and slight modification of placement of the charger unit. I can understand the module encased BUT how about making a opening in the armrest and reduction thickness of materials on the reces plastic and the rubber pad. Maybe even making another opening on the recessed plastic. Hey I'm sure GM could bench check my recommendations. Make a lot of customers happy. Also a refit of the cup and trim on the edges to allow phone to be placed with a small case.

Chuck

PAE

• 2 weeks later...

Archived