2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 knock sensors

bradterry

Question

11 answers to this question

Okay thanks, I've check the harness to the pcm and the timing is good, the only thing I've noticed is when I start off it glitches for a sec but that's a rare occurrence. Is there any harm in ignoring it until I can fix it?

I am having another problem I thought was fixed. When I press hard on the throttle starting off like pulling into traffic it just wants to sit there until I let off a bit, I cleaned the mass air flow sensor and it got better but now it's coming back and the idle is rough at times, is this related to the knock sensor also?

As long as it doesn't sound like marbles in your engine when you've got your foot in it (spark knock). If that happens, back off the throttle. Another band aid would be running higher octane fuel until you fix it, if that knock ever happens.

Timing mostly - if the computer thinks there's a knock, it'll retard timing until it stops ...and if it doesn't stop, it will hit a maximum, which isn't very HP/torque friendly.

Some reading here: http://www.diycardoctor.com/knock_sensor.htm

I've made it my personal rule that no engine built after 1995 gets washed under any circumstances. I don't care what it looks like - I just want it to WORK, and continue working!

Regular everyday driving can get water in them. But the longer you wait, the more corroded and nasty things will get. I blew out the cavities before removing them, and made sure the threads were clean after. Just be sure to use plenty of silicone on the new grommets and you won't have to mess with them again for a long time.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Archived