Short Causing Several Problems???

ryver

Question

I have a 2004 Chevy Tahoe. First, the air conditioner stopped working a year ago, but if you could get on the highway you could get some relief from the air passing through. Then my wife hit a number of potholes and the air started working again. But, after that I lost my instrument cluster (totally), then today I ran the air, stopped at a convenient store....turned on the "Hoe" and it started to blow hot air. I am totally lost, I have read to change the battery cable, but I don't wan't to spend 100.00+ to find out that this isn't it when that money could go to the actual issue. If anyone could give me a hand, I would greatly appreciate it.

Many Thanks

1 answer to this question

When it's blowing hot, grab a thick piece of wood (hammer handle or something) and rap the end of the compressor where the clutch is. If it engages, you just found the problem.

What causes that is the clutch gap has grown too wide. Really easy fix, especially if you live where they don't salt the roads in winter. Yank off the clutch hub, and grab the shims out of the hole with a magnet. Take one out, reinstall the hub, and it should be good to go.

You want roughly .015" with a feeler gauge. No more than .020" , and not so little that it drags and burns itself up.

Archived