bc-chris' 2014 Silverado SLZ Z71

bc-chris

my speedo insert from usspeedo arrived today

http://www.newtruckstuff.com/US-SPEEDO-CUSTOM-TIMELESS-EDITION-STAINLESS-STEEL-GAGUE-FACE-SPEEDOMETER-KIT-BLUE/productinfo/TMGM31B/#prettyPhoto[gallery]%20nofollow/0/

it's the KPH version of this....

speedo_zpsij1njjza.jpg

i'm not gonna lie.... i'm FREAKIN' PUMPED to install this - hopefully this weekend!!!!!

where did you get the blue gel ???? any other color's ?

^^^ the speedo comes like that from usspeedo....

http://www.newtruckstuff.com/US-SPEEDO-CUSTOM-TIMELESS-EDITION-STAINLESS-STEEL-GAGUE-FACE-SPEEDOMETER-KIT-BLUE/productinfo/TMGM31B/#prettyPhoto[gallery]%20nofollow/0/

the blue gel that i have for tinting my other lights i got from a friend who is involved with audio/video production stuff. i asked if he had some blue gel he didn't need and asked me how much i wanted!!!!

i just searched "spotlight tint gel" on amazon and the first result was this....

https://www.amazon.com/Color-Transparent-Correction-Lighting-Plastic/dp/B004A9PMGE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473357886&sr=8-1&keywords=spotlight+tint+gel

looks like the same stuff

so the 'blue-ing' of my interior is getting there....

i installed my speedo inlays from us-speedo. i LOVE them - they look soooo good!!

there are a couple of thing that need to change...

1 - the black part behind the tach is wrong. when things 'light up' they are not correct (head lights are on but the abs logo is illuminated). it looks like the black part is from the speedo inlay instead of the tach inlay - it's likely just the wrong back part got grabbed during assembly. i'm not too concerned. i emailed us-speedo over the weekend and i'm sure they'll send out a correct tach inlay right away (they've been great to deal with so far)

you can see below that something is definitely not right with the black part on the us-speedo inlay

IMG_1854_zpss6npsqzz.jpg

2 - i need to remove the stock red LEDs behind the needles - they don't really illuminate the needles at all and i think the red looks goofy since everything else is blue. i'll be ordering both blue and white LEDs. i'll put blue in first. if they don't cut it then i change them to white

so here is the dash (i did paint the plate that shows voltage/temp/gas/oil pressure and i painted all the needles)... day and night shots....

IMG_1858_zpsadrmi0a0.jpg

IMG_1905_zpskozfq28r.jpg

and i continued to blue my interior buttons/knobs

IMG_1928_zps4b9k08dc.jpg

IMG_1994_zpshxoxcfhi.jpg

IMG_2024_zpsfuuxefyd.jpg

the only 'blue-ing' left to do for buttons/knobs are my controls in the steering wheel and the 3 white LEDs in the rear view mirror

i'm really liking how it looks and can hardly wait to start adding footwell lighting and some other lighting accents

i will be posting a bunch of 'how-to' posts for the blue-ing of the buttons in this thread in the next few days - just need some time

i did take a ton of pics while pulling things apart. most everything was really easy - you just need to be patient and be gentle. the toughest stuff was figuring out how to pop the knobs on the hvac and entertainment controls

• Like 1

so i already heard back from us speedo....

Hey Chris,

So I had my parts guy take a look at your pic and it didn't take long for us to realize he accidently sent you a speedo colorband instead of a tach colorband. Which is why it has all the wrong icons. Now some of the icons we make look a little different but they mean the same thing, mainly the brake icon. Ours just says "brake" on it instead of the actual icon. But other than that you should be all set. We'll send the right one out today.

Go ahead and just keep the other one and show it off to a friend :)) haha

Ty

US Speedo

like i mentioned before - a great company to deal with.

if anyone wants stuff like this contact Ty!

[email protected]

can't wait to see the pix of this installed and lit up - been thinking about this mod but not sure how it looks in our trucks....good luck with the install!

btw, did you install the face and reset the needles yourself or can you buy the whole gauge cluster with it already installed?

hey TXTruk15

the install was really easy. i was a little nervous about removing and reinstalling the needles but i watched this video and saw what they did and just replicated it....

if you want, you can ship your cluster to us speedo and they'll do the install for you, but honestly, it isn't that difficult (it was my first time and after doing it once i would not hesitate to do it again)

Edited by bc-chris
  • Like 1

This truck looks awesome!

If you don't mind me asking...

What are your thoughts on the 7.5" RC Lift so far? Any particular notes or tidbits to share after driving around on it for awhile?

Also curious to know, would the stock rims, from your original post in this build thread (with the same 35" tires) have cleared the knuckles? If so how would they compare in offset to the current setup (stick out/in further)?

Keep it up dude, truck is looking great.

did a little photo shoot this morning....

IMG_6257_zpsvkrokbew.jpg

IMG_6256_zps5lsk0rrf.jpg

IMG_6253_zpsbvcxcnmp.jpg

This truck looks awesome!

If you don't mind me asking...

What are your thoughts on the 7.5" RC Lift so far? Any particular notes or tidbits to share after driving around on it for awhile?

Also curious to know, would the stock rims, from your original post in this build thread (with the same 35" tires) have cleared the knuckles? If so how would they compare in offset to the current setup (stick out/in further)?

Keep it up dude, truck is looking great.

thanks!

i think the lift is great. now, i really don't have much to compare it to becuz i bought the truck and pretty much my first stop was the place that put in the lift. i think i only took the truck out twice before the lift was installed - it just didn't 'feel right' not being up high (my other truck ('89 chev short box stepside) is lifted 6")

as for the stock rims with 35s... i'll be able to tell you fairly soon. i'm getting studded 35" general grabber AT2s to run for winter tires in the next few weeks

thanks again for the compliments

your interior is what I want mine to look like when it grows up - the biggest problem I have is whether I go with all red or all blue lighting. I love the blue, especially when I see what you've done. However, I have red GMC stuff in other places on the interior like my lighted door sills and red seems to be a little easier on the eyes at night....I'm leaning towards going to all blue after seeing yours though, that's for damn sure...great job!

Edited by TXTruk15
  • Like 1

Any night shots of the speedo with the lights on so that the needles are lit up too?

this is the night shot....

IMG_1905_zpskozfq28r.jpg

the problem is that the stock LEDs in the cluster are red, so i need to replace them (they make the needles glow a dark purple - barely visible). i'm not sure if blue LEDs will be bright enough so i'm going to order both blue and white. i'll try blue first becuz that is what i'd prefer, but it they don't have enough glow then i'll put in the whites

• Like 2

this is the night shot....

IMG_1905_zpskozfq28r.jpg

the problem is that the stock LEDs in the cluster are red, so i need to replace them (they make the needles glow a dark purple - barely visible). i'm not sure if blue LEDs will be bright enough so i'm going to order both blue and white. i'll try blue first becuz that is what i'd prefer, but it they don't have enough glow then i'll put in the whites

looking good. add that to mine do list

• Like 1