bc-chris' 2014 Silverado SLZ Z71

bc-chris

not much lately - i do have a bunch of stuff to do, but it's just a nutty time of year.

the run up to christmas is the busiest time of the year for my business. add to that running a men's hockey team, playing in a band (and now we're actually in the process of recording an album - that doesn't eat up lots of hours!!) and having a sick household since early december (somehow i avoided the bubonic plague that got my wife and our two kids (4 yrs and 1.5 yrs old)) - just not a lot of time to do truck stuff

my current to-do list for january/early february....

- install stubby antenna (i've got a 12" for now... might end up getting a really short one in the future)

- install silver trim around interior pieces in cab

- install bull rings in box

- install police scanner and external speaker in cab

- install new air intake tube

- get a new exhaust installed

- possibly get a tune (likely needed after the new exhaust/air intake tube is installed)

- need to order more LEDs from oznium.com for a few things i want to try once it warms up :)

once spring hits the list is....

- summer rims (or wheels... don't want to get in trouble again for calling wheels 'rims'!)

- new mud tires (i want to leave my other rims/mud tires on my old truck)

- amp research power steps

- fender flares. likely bush whacker

- i'd like to open up my headlights and replace the amber lenses with clear ones and while i'm in there i'm likely going to add halos

i'm currently in 'discussions' with my local chev dealership. i took my truck in for the airbag recall and they of course mentioned the not yet done seat belt recall. i sent them a link to the thread in this forum and asked 3 times if the flaps would get cut. each time i was reassured by the guy that nothing would be cut. i get my truck back and the flaps are cut - soooo not impressed. the head service guy who told me nothing would be cut said, 'yea, the tech wasn't supposed to'. so we'll see where that goes. like i said - i'm not impressed :fume:

Edited by bc-chris

• 2 months later...

a little update on the truck....

installed the stubby antenna and bull rings in february

towards the end of february i got new exhaust - oh sweet mother!! i love it!!!

i ordered the MBRP S5080AL. when the guys doing the install opened the box there was some old used exhaust in the box - so they were not impressed. they tried to get another one shipped out right away but there was no stock available out west and they wanted it here right away becuz of the screw up. they could get the same exhaust but stainless here the next day, so that's what they did at no extra charge to me - so that was pretty sweet!

i've been wanting to give my truck a bath for the last couple weeks since it's been so warm, but we seem to be in a weather system right now of 2 nice days then a rainy day... then repeat

i ordered my summer rims (or wheels if you prefer)/tires yesterday

rims will be... moto metal MO951 20x10 -18 https://www.customwheeloffset.com/buy-wheel-offset/MO9512055218/moto-metal-mo951-20x10-18-custom-wheels

mo951_chrome_top_zpsoprfp4rx.jpg

tires will be 35" hercules terra trac mud tires (but with black lettering, not white)

A-HERCULES-MT-WhiteLettering-STUDIO-34-T

i'll also be getting the bushwhacker fender flares (the ones that come painted black to match)

i can't wait for the summers to go... likely in mid-april

• 3 weeks later...

ok - a few pics of some of the changes that have happened the last little while...

i picked up some used running boards. i still want to get the amp research power steps eventually, but these will do for now (and cost a whole lot less)

IMG_5531_zpsrn1ecied.jpg

IMG_5539_zpsvpyj84kp.jpg

Edited by bc-chris

this past weekend i finally had some time to wire in my police scanner and external speaker. it wasn't too hard to figure out.

i replaced one of the cigarette lighters with a switch from oznium.com - it worked great! i used the power from the cigarette lighter for the scanner/speaker. i like it becuz it's always on power. this was the first time i've ever used a relay so i was pretty happy everything worked (thank you google!)

the scanner is a small 'desktop' scanner and it fit pretty much perfectly into the side cubby by the driver's right leg

in process....

IMG_5676_zpsqhvia73z.jpg

and then all buttoned up...

IMG_5694_zpsd8rlvrzf.jpg

IMG_5685_zpsjm1pzy9c.jpg

Edited by bc-chris

i finally got around to adding some of the interior 'trim' that i bought a while ago - i went with chrome (for now). i can see myself changing to blue in the future

i also added some 'finger grip' things to the doors to hopefully reduce the finger prints on the outside of the door

front driver's side door...

IMG_5688_zpsbqqbun1o.jpg

rear driver's side door

IMG_5689_zpsubdjp84w.jpg

Edited by bc-chris

and the last thing i got done this weekend was something i've been wanting to do for a while now.... add a little more light to the lower part of the center console. i know there is the 'ceiling light' above that shines down but it just doesn't throw enough light (especially since i changed it to blue a while ago).

i was tring to figure out what i could do and then came up with the idea of adding an LED into the front of the cup holder to shine onto the lower part of the center console. i didn't want anything crazy bright, so i put it on the same circuit as some other LED lights i have in the cab that are on a dimmer.

i popped open the center console, drilled my hole for the LED and mounted the LED inside the cup holder. the hole i driller was tiny - pretty much the same size as the LED...

IMG_5669_zpsmvwcollu.jpg

IMG_5671_zpslo6vkqg7.jpg

IMG_5673_zpsznk9kjfl.jpg

this is the 'before'... (pretty much black below the lowest buttons)

IMG_8155-BEFORE_zpswwykss4a.jpg

and this is it now with the LED in the front of the cup holder...

IMG_5702_zpssqvhzeqq.jpg

it's nothing too crazy or bright, i just wanted to be able to see a little bit!

i'm really happy with how everything turned out and can't wait for tomorrow.... new summer rims/tires go on!!! :thumbs:

• Like 2

thanks tahoe!

my biggest concern with an LED bar would be that enough light would show thru or would a bunch be blocked due to the cross bars in the grill? i'm not sure.

another thought i have with LED bars is i'm not a huge fan of the 'white/glassy' look that most of them have. i find it very noticeable behind behind the grill and don't really like that.

i know rough country makes a 'black' bar, which would be something i'd more likely lean towards... http://www.roughcountry.com/30-inch-curved-led-light-bar-72930bl.html

i know that an LED bar isn't really on my radar at all right now. i do pretty much all my driving in the city and honestly, i could drive around without headlights on and see fine almost all the time thanks to all the street lights. i'm sure when i upgrade my headlights/fog lights to either HID or LED that my desire to add an LED bar will be even less.

summer rims and tires are on!!

moto metal rims - MO951 20x10

hercules terra trac mud tires - 35"

also added bushwacker fender flares!

IMG_5900_zpsddencdjb.jpg

IMG_5902_zpsgjjg7bk5.jpg

IMG_5903_zpsz0j4niv3.jpg

i like it!!! i like it a lot!!!

• Like 1

this past weekend i finally had some time to wire in my police scanner and external speaker. it wasn't too hard to figure out.

i replaced one of the cigarette lighters with a switch from oznium.com - it worked great! i used the power from the cigarette lighter for the scanner/speaker. i like it becuz it's always on power. this was the first time i've ever used a relay so i was pretty happy everything worked (thank you google!)

the scanner is a small 'desktop' scanner and it fit pretty much perfectly into the side cubby by the driver's right leg

in process....

IMG_5676_zpsqhvia73z.jpg

and then all buttoned up...

IMG_5694_zpsd8rlvrzf.jpg

IMG_5685_zpsjm1pzy9c.jpg

You know there is a free app for your phone called ScannerRadio that allows you to listen to the police, fire, ems, and other scanners in your area. When i listen i usually just bluetooth it to my truck or have it playing off my phone speaker.

summer rims and tires are on!!

moto metal rims - MO951 20x10

hercules terra trac mud tires - 35"

also added bushwacker fender flares!

IMG_5900_zpsddencdjb.jpg

IMG_5902_zpsgjjg7bk5.jpg

IMG_5903_zpsz0j4niv3.jpg

i like it!!! i like it a lot!!!

Looks good

• Like 1

You know there is a free app for your phone called ScannerRadio that allows you to listen to the police, fire, ems, and other scanners in your area. When i listen i usually just bluetooth it to my truck or have it playing off my phone speaker.

buuuuut i'd need a cell right???

i'm not a cell phone guy at all. my wife bought me an ipod years ago. ha! long live the land line!! :)

• Haha 1