Bring your opinion over here please! ( body lift/ flares)

So guys it's been a while since iv done anything to my truck and I'm wanting to get a bit more height out of it.. So I have the 2.5 leveling kit on the truck since I bought it. Was thinking of going the cheaper route and getting the zone 1.5" body lift and then getting rid of the block in the rear of my truck for an add a leaf. Then if I do that I'd want to pull the trigger on some pocket riveted fender flares. Now do you think this would look pretty good if I did both of those? Here is how she currently sits.

My big worry of flares is will it wreck the paint around it and I don't want to drill into the metal of my truck... I refuse [emoji23]

d62a90c5f70594370d1220870fa3c478.jpg4c8de43e3934d77aff7709017eddbac4.jpg106478dbb05184679761c214a1975605.jpg84571515516624f0931f12f128dc009b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've noticed most flares are two sided taped. I live in Maryland and they use all kinds of ice melter in gross quantity from December through April. So extra holes are a bad bad idea. But the riveted ones look cheap and fake unless you really have screws in them.

Side note: (I'm new to towing) but is your Jetta too far forward and that's why your tail is sagging? I've noticed some trucks with sag and other are pretty level while in tow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've noticed most flares are two sided taped. I live in Maryland and they use all kinds of ice melter in gross quantity from December through April. So extra holes are a bad bad idea. But the riveted ones look cheap and fake unless you really have screws in them.

Side note: (I'm new to towing) but is your Jetta too far forward and that's why your tail is sagging? I've noticed some trucks with sag and other are pretty level while in tow.

Maybe a bit to far forward but my buddy loaded it up and I didn't need to move it far for him. And yea being in Canada I really don't want to drill any holes in my truck and worry about rust.. But love the look of fender flares might consider the body lift an add a leaf and bilsten shocks for a nicer ride

Body lift? No no no, what is this, a 1984 Toyota pickup? You're truck looks good the way it is my man. If you want it higher, spend the money on a suspension lift and new leaf springs out back.

Body lift, yes...riveted flares, pleas don't. Worst looking mod on any truck IMO. Now if you were able to find some non-riveted that looked factory like something from the 99-07 body style, I'd like to see that

Body lift? No no no, what is this, a 1984 Toyota pickup? You're truck looks good the way it is my man. If you want it higher, spend the money on a suspension lift and new leaf springs out back.

Well the reason I am iffy on the lift I want is because I'm told these frames twist easy and they don't react well with lift kits. But I was told I'd be safer going with the 1.5 inch body lift ( zone) and then removing my block out back for an add a leaf. I had originally wanted to do the zone 4.5 inch lift but I see lots of guys steady having issues with there lifts not the zone one in particular .. My dealer can do a 4 inch ready lift install as well. As far as flares iv always been into the fender flares lol and they don't look bad leveled and body lift here is an example 77675086abf30cb8a86ec7738006eefa.jpg

What size tires are you rolling?

285/65/18 should have went with a 285/70

Those flares look great. Just say no to rivets and non color matched though. As far as lift I've never heard of weak frames being an issue but if you have the money to go suspension lift then I'd do that IMO. Either way your truck will look great as long as you stay at a 1.5" BL or lower and don't do riveted flares...

Those flares look great. Just say no to rivets and non color matched though. As far as lift I've never heard of weak frames being an issue but if you have the money to go suspension lift then I'd do that IMO. Either way your truck will look great as long as you stay at a 1.5" BL or lower and don't do riveted flares...

I agree, those flares in the picture look good. I've been looking at flares for a few months now and I haven't seen any quite like that. I'm on the fence about the pocket/rivet flares. I tend to think they look good when I see them in-person, but there is an element of cheese inherent in said flares.

BDS lift all the way man... BDS doesn't void your factory warrant because it complies with the stabilitrack system these trucks have. it will cost you more but will look at perform better than any body lift. I don't know who told you these frames twist, with a good lift such as BDS you wont have any issues like that.

Warranty depends on dealer and their attidude towards mods and their relationship with their GM rep. If something goes wrong and they don't want to honor the warranty, they will fight it and it will be a process. This is what I was told by the dealership I bought from. Luckily my dealer is level headed and realizes a lift isn't going to ruin the tranny for example but they could argue and fight if they wanted to. A lot of false info about lifts/warranties and mods out there.

Edit: long story short, if you are worried about warranty talk to your dealer and see what they say, if they won't work with ya, find one that will...

Nice, I'm In the same boat as you. Already have a 2.5" level and debating on saving for a full suspension 4" or just throwing on a BL. I had a 3" body lift on my 04 and the only complaint was some creaking here and there over time. I think I'm gonna save for the suspension so that would be my vote to you.

Archived