Catch can has caught nothing

First time poster. I put an Elite E2X on my 2015 Silverado 5.3 at 7,015 miles a couple months back. I now have 10,100 miles, and the can has not collected a single drop. A few days ago I actually had to uninstall the clean side separator as oil was leaking out from around the separator cap in the fill reservoir. I have double checked that everything is connected as the directions detailed, and that the inlet is even/slightly below the PCV outlet so that gravity can help out. Has anyone else had this problem? I have seen on this forum, and many others where in as little as a few hundred miles these things start collecting a couple teaspoons worth of gunk. I find it hard to believe that I ended up with a perfectly efficient DI engine......Thanks for any guidance in advance.

I would never buy a catch can for my truck, I would rather just do a top end cleaning every oil change instead.

My question to you guys getting this much liquid in your cans, how much of that is water/steam vs oil? How were your engines broken in? How frequent do you do your oil changes?

Since day 1 my truck has never been allowed to idle. It's not good for rings and it's not good for engine cooling. I'm either driving or it's shut off. If my food takes more than 30 seconds in a drive-thru, I shut my truck off.

I'm wondering how much of this "condensate" that you guys are collecting is due to poor ring seating or broken down oil. I have 38xx miles on my truck and not even a trace of film behind the throttle body blade. :dunno:

Like I said above, I've gotten about 16 ounces in a little under 10k miles. Its without a doubt mostly oil. I purchased my truck with 57 miles on it so I have no idea how it was broken in but I drive it aggressively as I hit redline atleast a couple times a week :driving:

I've changed my oil at 2200, 5450, 8200, and 12450 miles with full synthetic Mobil 1 and I try not to let it idle very often but it typically sees 2-5 minutes of idling per day.

I'm in the Hot Ass South so all of mine is oil! I am a Machinist and have built engines for years so it was broken in right an oil changed at 100, 500, 700, 1000 miles. and I don't eat drive thru bullshit and sure as hell wouldn't wait 30 min for it!

RT

I'm in the Hot Ass South so all of mine is oil! I am a Machinist and have built engines for years so it was broken in right an oil changed at 100, 500, 700, 1000 miles. and I don't eat drive thru bullshit and sure as hell wouldn't wait 30 min for it!

RT

I'm up nort' here in da great white yonder called Minn-e-SoTa ;)

I did my first oil change at 1k and I intend on 4k mile changes after that. My truck when new was never allowed to idle so as to keep pressure on the rings at all times. You can say what you want about knowing what you're doing when breaking in an engine, but evidently to have that much blowby like you guys are seeing, something isn't right.

By the way, everything is in the details. I said 30 seconds, not 30 minutes of idling in a drive-thru boss. :)

Maybe this oil catch can business is a bunch of snake oil? :)

Could be. My 2006 Cadillac CTS 3.6L, the Elite catch can captures about 1 oz of oil every 100 miles. The PCV port is poorly designed and GM never felt the need to address it like they did with the pickups. On my 2015 2500 6.0L, the catch can captures about 4-5 oz in about 5000 miles. Not a terrible large amount, but still not going to the intake and messing things up over time.

I'm up nort' here in da great white yonder called Minn-e-SoTa ;)

I did my first oil change at 1k and I intend on 4k mile changes after that. My truck when new was never allowed to idle so as to keep pressure on the rings at all times. You can say what you want about knowing what you're doing when breaking in an engine, but evidently to have that much blowby like you guys are seeing, something isn't right.

By the way, everything is in the details. I said 30 seconds, not 30 minutes of idling in a drive-thru boss. :)

Well up in Minn-e-SoTa you might be able to shut the truck off to prevent it from idling, but down here in Floriduh that just is NOT an option. Nothing quite as enjoyable as a black on black truck sitting in the sun when its 100 degrees outside. :devil:

Thirty seconds would be brutal, 30 minutes might be fatal. If idling a vehicle hurt engines, then every vehicle but yours would have a bad engine.

how much oil does your trucks use between oil changes. just wondering if you use a quart , is half of it in the oil catch. I do oil changes every 6000 miles and my truck will still be on the full mark

On both my Caddy and my Silverado, the amount of oil they use between oil changes almost mirrors the amount the catch cans capture. Both engines, the amount they actually "use" is minuscule. A couple of oz, tops. But the catch can capture a LOT of junk. The Silverado, the can captures maybe 1/8 qt over an oil change interval, the Caddy, now that is a PCV oil slob... the can captures about 1 oz every 100 miles on average. Both of these instances, it is almost identical to how much the oil level drops.

Archived