Help to Diagnose these issues. Where to start?

chips-ahoy

Question

Hello,

I have a few issues I would like help diagnosing.

My truck - 2006 GMC Sierra 1500 (Non HD) Z71 4x4, 5.3L SLT - Bose Audio...heated Seats...All power everything...On-Start

#1- Brake issue

Symptoms - 1st push of the break pedal has little to no resistance on the first 3/4's of travel. Immediate follow up pumps of the break pedal do increase the resistance and improve braking ability slightly. Seems like air in the lines kinda? There is plenty of brake fluid in the reservoir. The truck is also throwing ABS wheel speed sensor codes. So i feel like there may be more than one issue possibly. The back breaks are drum style.

Someone suggested that the first half of brake pedal travel usealy engages the rear brake system. I plan to replace the ABS sensors, but other than that where do I start? Also, right about the same time this issue presented it self I noticed my parking brake would no longer engage..maybe that is related?

#2 - Electrical Feed back noise through the audio system.

Symptoms - This issue is intermittent..but while playing music sometimes a high pitch noise comes through my speakers and its intensity corresponds with my engine rpms. The intensity of the noise is not affected by adjusting the volume other than completely turning it down. Bumps in the road cause this issue to come and go. I have no idea where to start with this one...some many wires!

#3 - Dimer knob adjustment shorting out

Symptoms - The knob that controls the dimming of dash/gages lighting is temperamental...I figure i just have to replace the module..but I am listing this is case anyone thinks it may correspond with issue #2. When it is acting up, if I smack it or adjust it...sometimes it seems to affect the high pitched noise..but since it is an impedance style control that is probably the only reason I hear a difference....I am assuming. The two issue can and do occur separately as well.

Thank to anyone who reads all this and has any advice...

6 answers to this question

I'm not sure on the other issues, but issue number one seems like air in the lines. Have you tried bleeding them? The ABS could be caused by a bad wheel bearing. I had this problem with my truck not even two months ago.

I agree, it dose seem like air in the line. I have not tried bleeding them. What might have allowed air in the lines? I have not touched the breaks in a long time.

I'm not sure how air would have gotten into the system since it hasn't been touched in a while. Are you sure there are no leaks anywhere?

I have not noticed any leaks,but that dose not mean much. Reservoir seems to be full as always. I will google where to check for leaks at

I have not noticed any leaks,but that dose not mean much. Reservoir seems to be full as always. I will google where to check for leaks at

The most common place would be the steel lines if they are rusted.

I'm not sure on the other issues, but issue number one seems like air in the lines. Have you tried bleeding them? The ABS could be caused by a bad wheel bearing. I had this problem with my truck not even two months ago.

Archived