2016 LT with HID to LTZ LEDs

I know I saw a thread about it. I have a 2016 LT with the HIds, I got to drive an LTZ over night with the led headlights and I loved em, the LTZ was to much for the pocketbook. How hard/expensive is it swap out the HIDs for the LEDs I know they wouldn't have the intellilamp function or whatever it's called .

What I wanna know is why they ise HID on the LT for low beams but Halogen highs. Maybe I'm wrong but my high beams are the Halogen yellow tint and not near the intensity of my low beams! Only difference is the higher cutoff.

This is because the highbeams are designed as flood lights and you cannot (should not) put HID or LED in a reflective housing as the light is dispersed and needs the projector lens to focus. Mine are the same has a halogen flood but LED projector. Its actually more effective overall as a highbeam and is pretty common. I have tried both in same vehicle the flood style give you more light to the sides, above and brightens the headlamp coverage area. My old dual mode just really gave me more light above the horizon line of headlamp.

20160710 140738

A dual mode light would work like this.

hilowbeamled (1)

What I wanna know is why they ise HID on the LT for low beams but Halogen highs. Maybe I'm wrong but my high beams are the Halogen yellow tint and not near the intensity of my low beams! Only difference is the higher cutoff.

The new 16 trucks don't have a seperate high beam on either hid or led. They are bi-mode.

Ok stupid question, why when I start my truck or unlock it the headlights fire up very white looking same color temp as the LEDs but then then turn to a more Warner color a min or two later?? Is that the bios warming up???

Ok stupid question, why when I start my truck or unlock it the headlights fire up very white looking same color temp as the LEDs but then then turn to a more Warner color a min or two later?? Is that the bios warming up???

No stupid questions. You're right, the zenon bulbs warm up for a couple minutes after they turn on. The initial white flash you see is the zenon gas vaporizing, and the warmer color you see is from the metal salts in the bulb vaporizing as well. Your ballast keeps the required higher voltage needed to keep them fired.

This may not be the place for this, but an ancillary benefit of the LED is when some douche bag in front of you does something stupid, you can vaporize the plastic covers of his taillights.

Good lighting discussion guys. From some knowledgable contributors. Thanks.

Archived