Stolen SIlverado

Looking for info to help find my truck.. Lost it last week, 14 Silverado.. Didnt continue my onstar account, no good reason a year ago just didnt continue it..

onstar says they cannot locate it for us unless were in the vehicle,which obviously isnt happening.. police said maybe a court order??

progressive is taking the keys to extract data for transponder check? can that locate the truck?

Sorry for this being my 1st post, just trying to figure out some way to track this thing!!!

any help and info would be great , please post anything you can think of!!!

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are many stories like yours with the same outcome (sorry about your luck). They are under no obligation to help as you chose not to pay for the service. Good luck hope they find it in one piece or insurance replaces quickly.

On star was sued for tracking vehicles after their subscription had expired, soooo, nothing has changed except you need the law to get them to give up the info.Onstar can shut that truck right down if they want.

Let Progressive deal with Onstar. You pay for insurance and its their money that is on the line. If Onstar refuses to track the truck because the subscription has expired, I can't say that I blame them. They are not in business to save the day for free when something goes wrong.

Can you not sign up and pay the first month/activation fee then call back to report stolen?

They only do the enrollment from inside the vehicle.

Not sure about going onto the Web and trying to just pay them.

That said you pay insurance just let them deal with it.

Looking for info to help find my truck.. Lost it last week, 14 Silverado.. Didnt continue my onstar account, no good reason a year ago just didnt continue it..

onstar says they cannot locate it for us unless were in the vehicle,which obviously isnt happening.. police said maybe a court order??

progressive is taking the keys to extract data for transponder check? can that locate the truck?

Sorry for this being my 1st post, just trying to figure out some way to track this thing!!!

any help and info would be great , please post anything you can think of!!!

Onstar shouldn't help you. It's like not having insurance and trying to out insurance on it the day after it's wrecked or stolen. I hope they stick to their guns and don't help you. By the way. I feel your pain. I just don't think you should be able to use something you haven't been paying for.

And I'm not an onstar subscriber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you not sign up and pay the first month/activation fee then call back to report stolen?

My understanding is that you need to be in the vehicle, and press the blue button for them to activate On Star....at least that is what I was told when we (Wife and I) wanted to activate the On Star subscription for the FIL without his knowledge.....wanted to have it for Crash Response and locator.....he wouldn't pay for it, but we felt it was needed as he is in his 80's, has poor driving habits, and sometimes gets lost.

onstar should offer a one time fee for this type of service. $100 and they will track the da*n truck.

onstar is a total rip-off and waste of money, except for that one time you want it. kind of like insurance....

onstar is a total rip-off and waste of money, except for that one time you want it. kind of like insurance....

This is why I keep my OnStar active. My insurance even gives me a discount on comprehensive because the vehicle can be tracked and remotely disabled. I actually use the service and make the buggers work for every dime and use them for GPS, finding gas station and restaurants and more. OnStar is worth it IMO you just have to actually use it. If you paid for internet and never went online you would think that was a waste too obviously.

That said if the police have a warrant OnStar HAS to give up that info, chances are the police to do care all that much though as deal with so many stolen vehicles.

Archived