Wiring a CB radio

What's the best place to run wires from inside the cab to under the hood? I got to run an aux cable for my PA system speaker along with running the power wires for my CB radio. Want to make it clean as possible and not have wires showing.

Do you have a bench seat or console? I have a bench and plan on putting it in the lower storage of the seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have bench, i found where to mount it now just trying to find a spot in the fire wall to run wires.

What's the best place to run wires from inside the cab to under the hood? I got to run an aux cable for my PA system speaker along with running the power wires for my CB radio. Want to make it clean as possible and not have wires showing.

I ran mine through the rubber opening above the pedals. It's a PITA but it worked eventually.

There are 2 cigarettes lighters in my truck. I plan on tying into one of them. To be honest though. Who really uses a CB radio anymore?

There are 2 cigarettes lighters in my truck. I plan on tying into one of them. To be honest though. Who really uses a CB radio anymore?

I'm only doing it for the PA system

Those who off-road.

Giving that the CB only puts out 5 watts, you are perfectly fine to get one of those "pop-a-fuse" or "Add-a-fuse" things for your power so that you do not need to run the power cables to the engine compartment. And you can ground the black wire onto the body somewhere under the dash. As for the speaker wire- well you may need to poke that thru one of the grommets below or off to the side of the steering column. Just be careful not to nick any of the existing wiring going thru those grommets. I electrical taped my electrical wiring for emergency lights and a few other things to a coat hanger leaving about 3-4 inches of the coat hanger wire at the beginning and poked it through the top of the larger grommet starting in the engine compartment and then took a pair of pliers and grabbed onto the coat hanger from inside the cab and pulled through. I had to make a small cut inside the cab to finish pulling the wire through. I feel comfortable doing this, only because I've done it a few times for my ham radio and emergency lighting stuff on previous trucks. I don't like going through the floor, personally.

I live in areas with active logging (British Columbia) and there are back roads /logging roads around here where you are suppose to have a CB equipped and tuned to a specific frequency because if there is a logging truck coming down you make en up having to back up for miles as there is no spot to turn around.

I do not have one but may want to look into one as I use those roads more frequently these days and have just been chancing it.

I wasn't trying to be an ass about it. I have family that are truckers and they really commented that is not really used anymore.

It was a fair question. And thinking about it more I think most high end walkie talkies these days can do CB radio stuff so seeing one actually installed in very uncommon.

I liked the concept of CB. I wish it would've evolved wth technology. I suppose it will keep working during the zombie apocalypse.

Maximum power output on the citizen band is 5 watts although many abuse that and run amps or whatever to go higher. 40 channels or frequencies to transmit on, 1 of which is generally used for emergencies only, (channel 9) Truckers favor channel 19 for chit chat out on the highway and warning other drivers of dangers or law enforcement traps ahead... no one cares about following FCC rules and regulations so lots of cussing and inappropriate stuff said.. really not much there to evolve.

Rag Chewing (as we hams call it) was a great time killer while out on the road- talk to the trucker behind you or in front of you during those long commutes to help eat up time.. but now a days with cell phones, bluetooth, and satellite radio to keep you company - the rag chewing is not as popular.

Archived