Wanting to upgrade my muffler from Gibson to ???

I bought a cat back gibson exhaust system for my 2015 sierra. I liked it at first, but its a little too quiet for my taste now.

Looking to only upgrade the muffler. What are people running for mufflers? I looked at some magnaflows. Hard to decide.

I bought a cat back gibson exhaust system for my 2015 sierra. I liked it at first, but its a little too quiet for my taste now.

Looking to only upgrade the muffler. What are people running for mufflers? I looked at some magnaflows. Hard to decide.

Make sure you choose something that either keeps the pressure valve or something similar to one. I have a borla exhaust that sounds amazing until the v4 mode turns on then it sounds like I'm being followed by a uh-1 helicopter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear high praises about Flowmaster they have a good price and range of options/outputs and they ave lots of clips of these trucks running them. I am looking at one. I have no idea what a Gibson sounds like in comparison though.

You will probably get as many opinions as replys though here. My advice is to get a good sound output and check out some videos.

What about the muffler delete option? I hear (pun intended! :crackup: ) that it's supposed to sound good w/o the muffler but keeping the resonator. I love to actually hear what that sounds like though before pulling the trigger on doing it. Too loud (I leave the house at 5am for work) and my neighbors will not be happy!

I hear high praises about Flowmaster they have a good price and range of options/outputs and they ave lots of clips of these trucks running them. I am looking at one. I have no idea what a Gibson sounds like in comparison though.

You will probably get as many opinions as replys though here. My advice is to get a good sound output and check out some videos.

I had Flowmaster 40 series on my 2009 and loved it! One of the best sounds out there. You could hear pitch change when it cut back to V4, but it still sounded good.

I ordered up a GM Borla side exhaust with chrome tips yesterday. apparently it has the flapper valve etc and is actually made for the truck. It should be at the dealership by the middle of next week. I had stopped by a couple of local muffler shops and most could only bend 3" tubing (6.2 uses a 3.5" exhaust) so bit the bullet and spent the extra cash. I will have it installed at the dealership.

If I can figure out how to post video with audio, I will do that before and after so folks can decide if it is worth laying off the beer and cigs for a few months to save up the cash to do this.

In the end I figured a factory type system would be guaranteed to work and sound good so I went with that plus it quells any warranty issues that could potentially be brought up. I do not drink or smoke so have a LOT of disposable income anyway haha. If I had a couple of years old truck with a bunch of miles on it I would have tried this one guys suggestion. He claimed to have had done one recently on a 6.2 where he moved the V4 muffler (resonator) ahead of the new magnaflow left out the flapper and piped straight out the back with duals. Claimed the V4 muffler in front of the new muffler cutout all the drone? it was a local truck here but I have not been able to run it down to satisfy my curiosity. Just do not like a real loud exhaust particularly on a Denali it would just be uncivilized....

I've gone through about 5 different mufflers on my truck, and I found the perfect one a few months ago. I was tired of picking the wrong muffler. Other people would say they loved a particular one, and I would end up hating it. LOL.

Anyway, I decided to call Magnaflow customer service to see if they had any insight on what I was looking for. I described my previous mufflers, loudness levels, and what I was looking for. Their customer service was awesome. I was given a part number and I was so pleased from the active and knowledgeable service that I ordered from there. Happy as can be with this muffler.

Perhaps a call to a few muffler companies can give you more insight?? It sure helped me out. Mufflers can get pretty pricey after a while!

Magnaflow, borla, corsa, flowmaster all make great sounding mufflers. Magna flow would be my recommendation. The AFM on these trucks really kill the sound though. I have also heard a truck with the muffler delete and kept the resonator and they do sound pretty good, just not as loud as one of the aftermarkets. A tuner can turn off the AFM but if you are worried about warranty issues a Range module can do the same thing.

I had a Gibson cat back on my 2010 Avalanche, and recently put a MBRP cat back on my 2015 Sierra. (Both 5.3s) I like the sound of the MBRP system better. I'm pretty sure you can buy the MBRP muffler by itself, and the mufflers should be about the same size, so it should be easy to swap out.

Archived