From Ford F-150 to GM truck?

Thanks, I am just looking to see if they will handle the rigors of American drivers......I have seen far to many posts on FERD Forums about these ecboboosts becoming garbage after 60,000k?

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't consider myself a long time Ford owner but I have owned a99, F150 XLT 4.6, a 99 Mustang GT, 2011 F150 FX4, 5.0, a 2012 F150 Lariat 3.5 Eco-boost and recently a F350 DRW

I went with who was offering the better deal at the time, which just so happened to be Ford.

That being said I did have an 07 Sierra before the 2011 F150 and have always felt as though the Sierra was a much more attractive truck and offered a more comfortable ride. Again I am now the owner of a 2016 GMC Denali HD. night ad day improvement over the Ford SD with the "Lego" block look interior.

A FERD GUY? Please tell me if you had a ecoboost and your honest opinion? I am just trying to figure out if those engines will make it to 100,000 with being completely garbage?

There is a guy on the Ecoboost forum that just hit 280,000 miles on his 2011. Highest number I've come across. It's the best alternative in the Ford line-up for me. I just hit 9,000 miles with mine and 4,000 has been towing a 24' v-nose enclosed car trailer. I just towed it 1250 miles this past Saturday coming from Florida to Michigan for the Woodward Dream Cruise. Fuel economy is nothing to get excited about. Actually poor - 8.8mpg towing. Those turbos suck gas, at least in my case. I'll tow another 1,800 miles over the next week.

There is a guy on the Ecoboost forum that just hit 280,000 miles on his 2011. Highest number I've come across. It's the best alternative in the Ford line-up for me. I just hit 9,000 miles with mine and 4,000 has been towing a 24' v-nose enclosed car trailer. I just towed it 1250 miles this past Saturday coming from Florida to Michigan for the Woodward Dream Cruise. Fuel economy is nothing to get excited about. Actually poor - 8.8mpg towing. Those turbos suck gas, at least in my case. I'll tow another 1,800 miles over the next week.

Ive owned 12 trucks.....

All have towed 4-6k trailers.

We have wind....and hills

I have never seen any of them....including my 6.2L max tow get any better than that 9-11mpg range.

It is what it is for me

Ive owned 12 trucks.....

All have towed 4-6k trailers.

We have wind....and hills

I have never seen any of them....including my 6.2L max tow get any better than that 9-11mpg range.

It is what it is for me

Towed an empty tow dolly with my 5.3L and got 18mpg :-). Trip home with Focus loaded on dolly cut me to 12 or so.

I once got 13+ towing a 9,000lb 5'er with my previous 2500 Dmax...had a nice tail wind.

I've been very fortunate in business where I can buy whatever I want, and not be brand loyal. I buy all three brands from my local dealerships because they all do a lot of business with me.

I've owned two trucks, side by side for about 15 years. Always a Ford Super Duty, and either a Ram or a GM product as my second truck.

I can unequivically say that IMO, Ford builds a better truck. The 17' SD is far and away the most advanced truck yet, and although I don't own a half ton, the EB engine has proved to be very reliable.

The EB vs. the 6.2.? I would buy the 6.2l.

Ram isn't far behind, but I have no problem driving all three. They are all fine machines with plenty of upside.

In the end, it all comes down to preference. I'll be driving this GMC for another year or two, and I really like it.

Will I buy another down the line? Yeah..

I had my TT out this past weekend. Approx 6k weight, truck loaded with gear and firewood. Got 12.6 mpg average. I thought that was pretty good. My old 2000 ford expedition 5.4 was in the 8mpg range towing the same load

GsBowtie,

You are comparing trucks that are 15 years apart?

Probably never a worse platform than the old Ford Triton engines.

I think 12.6 mileage with a half ton 5.3L Chevy with that load,...you must have been going downhill both ways.. :).

The 3.5 EB is a great motor and new 17 model with 470tq sounds f'n bad ass.

Now your either Eco or boost and can't have both at same time.

The engine performs like a V8 and then some but at same time gas mileage is about the same as a v8 as well.

My only draw back on this motor is that the exhaust sound like absolute dog shit. Turbo suction is always tasty but you can't help but hear that v6 cackle as well.

GsBowtie,

You are comparing trucks that are 15 years apart?

Probably never a worse platform than the old Ford Triton engines.

I think 12.6 mileage with a half ton 5.3L Chevy with that load,...you must have been going downhill both ways.. :).

Try again.

-the ford was my last tow vehicle so that's what I have to compare to.

The average mpg is what the dash readout said. That was running 55-60 in m5 on the highway. And some mountains to and from. Why would I exaggerate the number? I could care less if you believe it or not. It is what it is. That was the average over the 160 might trip

I've only owned 1 Ford which was my first truck in 1982 and was a 1971 Ranger XLT. I purchased a new Silverado in 1985 and have always had GM trucks. Some here at work drive Ford trucks and like them and say they're good trucks. I've only ridden in late model Fords so can't really compare like owning one. I guess there's good and bad in all brands. One thing; Ford claims the best selling truck in the U.S. That's because Ford only has one truck and GM has 2. If you'd combine GMC and Chevy truck sales Ford wouldn't be the #1 selling truck :nonod:. In 2015 Ford sold 780,354 trucks and Silverado/Sierra combined sold 824,683. So actually GM is the #1 selling truck :D

Archived