I'm new here and I've been trying to diagnose my '14 Sierra issue for a while. It sounds just like a blown drivers side front strut when I hit bumps at low speeds, almost like a "plop" sound. If I'm on a washboard road it almost sounds like a rattle on the inside. I took to the dealership roughly a year ago and they confirmed I had a bad strut and replaced, but now it's back.

Recently, I put a 2.5" RC leveling kit and 33" BFG's on it and within a week I began hearing the exact same noise as before with strut but there is no fluid visible. I crawled underneath and checked everything involved with lift. I happened to grab the CV axle and it has both torsional and tensional slop.

My Question: What is an acceptable amount of torsional and tensional play or slop in a CV joint on these trucks? My truck currently has roughly .0625"-.125" play in both directions. Also, my CV shaft has less than .0625" clearance from the bolt head on lower strut. Is that normal?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes it does but I won't have to worry about it anymore because I'm trading it in on an F-150

lol, won't have to worry huh? Good luck with the F-150

Instead of CV play you'll have cheap IWE hubs to worry about. Cheap plastic internal parts and a PITA vacuum assist.

I've had my ford for 3 months not a single problem with it except my leaking rihid industries fog lights. No more vibration, smooth shifting, better fuel economy,more power. I'm not missing the gmc at all.

In fact since I traded in the sierra I have recieved 3 letters in the mail for gm 2 were recalls and 1 was regarding the cheap radiators that gm put in the trucks

I've had my ford for 3 months not a single problem with it except my leaking rihid industries fog lights. No more vibration, smooth shifting, better fuel economy,more power. I'm not missing the gmc at all.

In fact since I traded in the sierra I have recieved 3 letters in the mail for gm 2 were recalls and 1 was regarding the cheap radiators that gm put in the trucks

HAHAHA Ford has avoided more recalls than any other company on the planet. Their LONG history of deaths caused by their deliberate attempt at ignoring safety defects is legendary. Apparently you are either young, nieve, or ignorant of the world around you. Also, the 2015+ F-150 has more complaints for hard downshifts than the 2014+ GM twins. Guess you got lucky. You should also plan on taking your truck in for a growl coming from the front end. That will be the sound of those shitty plastic IWE's failing. If you didn't get suckered into buying an ecobust, you'll still have to worry about your 5.0 slowly developing the famous "5.0 tick". Dont push that engine to red line too often, the new 5.0 has a history of grenading oil pumps.

Archived