Bye Bye 1500!

Just traded in my 2014 Sierra 1500 Denali with the 6.2L for a 2016 Sierra 2500HD Denali equipped with the Duramax. This is my first diesel vehicle ever. Any tips for a first time diesel owner? Is there anything people do to these trucks that doesn't mess with the GM warranty? I gotta say I'm loving it so far!

Did they give you a pretty good deal trading in your 1500? I have a 6.2 1500 and am looking to trade in for a 2500. Nervous though cause I have my 2015 1500 paid off and really don't want another big car payment

Just traded in my 2014 Sierra 1500 Denali with the 6.2L for a 2016 Sierra 2500HD Denali equipped with the Duramax. This is my first diesel vehicle ever. Any tips for a first time diesel owner? Is there anything people do to these trucks that doesn't mess with the GM warranty? I gotta say I'm loving it so far!

As far as performance, if you flash the ECM or TCM you risk the chance of voiding your warranty if GM can prove your tune caused the warranty issue. Mine was tuned, EPA crap removed, and a 5" turbo back exhaust was installed within the first three months of purchase (details are in my signature) . Since being tuned, I've put 15K trouble free miles on my truck.

The tune I'm currently running gives me roughly 547 HP and over 875 tq and I'm still averaging 18.5 MPG in the city.

You have to decide if the risk outweighs the reward!

By the way, nice truck! Congrats!!

Mike

Did they give you a pretty good deal trading in your 1500? I have a 6.2 1500 and am looking to trade in for a 2500. Nervous though cause I have my 2015 1500 paid off and really don't want another big car payment

I had a 2014 Sierra 1500 Denali 6.2L with about 50,000 miles and I got about $36,000 on the trade in. I got the new truck for about $55,500.

Very nice pickup! Congrats. The only thing I would consider in messing with on a new emission pickup is an ECM code change to disable the EGR. First thing I ever do to any emission diesel since EGR showed up. Will prevent a lot of problems and reduce regens on the DPF. Check with Kennedy Diesel or some other reputable outfit. All that is done is a code change. No removal of stuff. Can be reversed if going into dealer and there is a risk of them checking. This is a common thing done with commercial vehicles. Nothing else if affected. SCR and DPF still in place and operational. Nothing major to affect warranty.

EGR is not on all the time anyway. Under certain load and altitude conditions, the EGR is shut off by the ECM. All the code change does is keep it shut off all the time, with no fault codes thrown.

Here is a good read on it. they say for "off road only", but that is protect their hind end from EPA nonsense.

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/docs/Duramax%20EGR%20Blocker%20vs%20EGR%20Disable%20vs%20EGR%20Delete.pdf

Very nice pickup! Congrats. The only thing I would consider in messing with on a new emission pickup is an ECM code change to disable the EGR. First thing I ever do to any emission diesel since EGR showed up. Will prevent a lot of problems and reduce regens on the DPF. Check with Kennedy Diesel or some other reputable outfit. All that is done is a code change. No removal of stuff. Can be reversed if going into dealer and there is a risk of them checking. This is a common thing done with commercial vehicles. Nothing else if affected. SCR and DPF still in place and operational. Nothing major to affect warranty.

EGR is not on all the time anyway. Under certain load and altitude conditions, the EGR is shut off by the ECM. All the code change does is keep it shut off all the time, with no fault codes thrown.

Here is a good read on it. they say for "off road only", but that is protect their hind end from EPA nonsense.

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/docs/Duramax%20EGR%20Blocker%20vs%20EGR%20Disable%20vs%20EGR%20Delete.pdf

Reversing a program does no good as each time the the ecm is flashed it logs a date, if you disable the EGR and reduce regens and your dpf fails or clogs, good luck...

Archived