Traction Control Problems - Silverado

Since day one, my 2001 Silverado's Traction Assist stops working when driven in heavy rain. The "traction off" LED illuminates, and the traction control no longer functions. Sometimes turning the engine off and then restarting it, will re-set it and allow it to work for a short time again.

I've had it to the dealer twice, and they not been able to solve the problem. Last time they said the PCM software set a traction control code, but they claimed that info was not specific enough to tell them anything.

They gave me very little hope that they would every be able to solve the problem. It still has a little time left on the warranty, so I will bring it in again this week.

Has anyone else had this problem?? I'm sure my truck was one of the first built with this system. :lol:

My mom has this system on her suburban. It is a 2WD system. Don't know exactly how it works either but it is on all the time unless you press the button to turn it off. My guess is that it has sensors to detect wheel spin and applies the brakes to correct it. I do know that it is just about impossible to get the tires to spin on her sub.

Sounds like GM needs to do something about it. Replace the whole system or give you a whole new truck or something. Really doesn't sound right. I know my mom's sub doesn't turn off in rainy weather. To me that should be when the system shines.

Just my 2 cents.

B.J.

I have the traction assist on my 2000 Yukon 2wd. I know exactly what you are talking about. This happens often on my Yukon when driven in heavy rain. It will say "Traction Off" or whatever (I forget exactly what it is that lights up). I figured this was just normal. I think it happens when it detects the wheels spinning. I'm not sure, but it might be that the system is working and it's letting you know that you have lost traction. Or, it could actually be a problem that the system is really turning off when it shouldn't.

Does the owner's manual say anything about this? Anyone esle out there have this system and seen this happen?

See if this helps,

Your two wheel drive traction assist is part of the ABS system that will detect wheel spin and reduce engine (only) torque when needed.No brake intervention is included.

I think there is a TSB out there to correct this traction assist system shutting off, and setting a fault code in rainy weather. It is actually an electrical issue caused by interference from the wiper motor system, and corrupting the rear wheel speed signal.

Have the dealer contact the technical service hot line and they should be able to give you more info.

ebod,

I would think that anyone would want traction control in any less than ideal traction condition such as rain, snow and ice. When your wheels are spinning, you have no control. I have never driven a truck with the traction control option, but my wife's Dodge mini-van has it and it works. Some systems brake the wheels, others do it through the transmission.

Bob G.

I was trying to be sarcastic and to poke fun of the irony arising from the fact that the traction control fails when you need it most (and vica versa).

My wife has a 4x2 Suburban with the traction control. I can tell you that it doesn't do much on dry pavement. When it rains, however, it's really useful.

My Camaro does the exact same thing - the traction control shuts off in the rain which is exactly when you don't want it to happen. Looks like the General has some issues with this type of system across the product line. :fume:

:fume: Well,

I took it into the dealer today, and again they had no clue how to diagnosis it, and offered no hope of ever finding the problem. This is the third time I've had it in for this.

They thought I was stupid and that I was mistaking the "low traction" light coming on when the wheels spun, as opposed to the real situation of the "traction off" light coming on and staying on.

I had talked to the service manager before I took it in, and he said they would consult GM technical. But did they? No they did not. When I brought it up, the assistant service manager said he would call GM tommorow. I have zero confidence in this call producing anything because the asst. serv. mgr does not know enough about how it is supposed to work to even communicate the problem properly to GM. ARGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, This is a 2WD system. I don't think it applies the rear brakes at all. I think it only backs off of the fly-by-wire throttle when wheel spin is detected.

BgBlkAvalanche: Very interesting post about the electrical interference issue with the wipers. I'll dig into this more. I wonder if I personally can call GM tech??

BigGreen,

You are too much of a nice guy. I could not leave the dealership with that sort of an answer.

You need to demand that they fix it or call GM customer service and tell them your problem.

Also, make sure that the service manager enters this problem for your vehicle into the computer and notes it as "not fixed" or whatever applicable.

Some of these guys are absolute idiots and next thing you know youll be over your warranty mileage limit and theyll say they cant do anything for you unless you pay.

Make sure they give it to you in writing also.

Reading through the service manual for my Camaro, one of the things it says to check for is the front wheel speed sensors shorting out because of the moisture.

Never have checked to see if this is the problem on my car, but it is my hunch that this is cause.

Archived