Tires & Rims are probably the only area where you will get variable results. Get the lightest, hardest, mildest tread you can find for better economy. Heavy and soft increase rolling resistance. Lighter and harder will decrease rolling resistance. I'm not talking about sidewall. I'm talking about UTQG. I'd look for something over 500. The problem is that most off-road tires are not rated in this way, but wear rating is a good indication of UTQG.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I second the post about re-gearing, that is the best option out of anything that will help you with your quest for better mpg's out of your truck. 3.73 or even 4.10 gears are what you will probably need. Good luck chasing that unicorn!

Just an observation. I only did a level kit and 34" skinny tires.. My combined mpg dropped by almost 20%. (Yes I'm compensating the 8.2% from the tire size change)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Contacted Chase @ eastcoastgearsupply.com. He recommended 4.10s for my purpose and provided me with a quote.

I will keep everyone here posted on the MPG/status when I start the process.

I'll have the following comparisons:

Stock

Exhaust only

Exhaust and intake

Exhaust, intake, and programmer

All above + Lift + 35's + wheels (recalibrated)

All above + 4.10s (recalibrated)

We will see how it all goes!

Contacted Chase @ eastcoastgearsupply.com. He recommended 4.10s for my purpose and provided me with a quote.

I will keep everyone here posted on the MPG/status when I start the process.

I'll have the following comparisons:

Stock

Exhaust only

Exhaust and intake

Exhaust, intake, and programmer

All above + Lift + 35's + wheels (recalibrated)

All above + 4.10s (recalibrated)

We will see how it all goes!

Did they do the math and let you know approx how many decades it will take to earn that all back in fuel savings :P. Chaging the gears alone will be $1-2k in shop time (if you have a 4x4 need to change front and rear diff).

Personally I think eastcoastgearsupply is pulling your leg even with a lift and 4.10 is no way on this earth you will achieve stock MPG's after a lift. Best of luck though and let us know how it goes. Here is hoping I am wrong.

Did they do the math and let you know approx how many decades it will take to earn that all back in fuel savings :P. Chaging the gears alone will be $1-2k in shop time (if you have a 4x4 need to change front and rear diff).

Personally I think eastcoastgearsupply is pulling your leg even with a lift and 4.10 is no way on this earth you will achieve stock MPG's after a lift. Best of luck though and let us know how it goes. Here is hoping I am wrong.

Eastcoastgearsupply never said anything to me about stock MPG. They did the estimates to get me closest to stock gear ratios, including the final gear (the tire).

As far as it taking decades to make my money back... I don't really care about that portion of it, but thanks. Different strokes for different folks, right? Also, the total for the parts (gearing only) comes in under $900. As far as install, for everything but the lift I have an ASE/GM master mechanic that will help me free of charge. As for the lift, I'll get that done at SORS, which is the same company that installs the Rocky Ridge packages for GM from the factory.

I think some of these replies are funny and off-topic. I didn't go on your post and talk about how it was impractical to detail a brand-new truck (not saying that it was, I think it looks great but I'm illustrating an example). So again; different strokes for different folks.

Also, this isn't a wish list - Life-willing, I am doing all of these parts and will open a post when I start the process.

Thanks again!

My Millage never changed until I traded the 2014 double cab 4x4 A/T with 20 inch tires for a 2016 double cab 4x4 A/T with 22 inch tires.

Picked up 2.5 MPG with the 2016 even with a leveling kit. I was expecting it to have been the same if not a little worse with the 22's

All the cold air intake has done with the engine is get rid of any of the stupid throttle lag it had with the other factory air box aka intake chamber.

Simply because the air now flows directly into the engine and is not dealing with all of the stupid acoustic baffles disrupting the airflow.

People always say that the intakes make the engine loud when it really just takes away what engineers did to make it quite at the cost of some power and throttle response.

As said not may mods will help with the millage to much I find bed covers help.

Eastcoastgearsupply never said anything to me about stock MPG. They did the estimates to get me closest to stock gear ratios, including the final gear (the tire).

As far as it taking decades to make my money back... I don't really care about that portion of it, but thanks. Different strokes for different folks, right? Also, the total for the parts (gearing only) comes in under $900. As far as install, for everything but the lift I have an ASE/GM master mechanic that will help me free of charge. As for the lift, I'll get that done at SORS, which is the same company that installs the Rocky Ridge packages for GM from the factory.

I think some of these replies are funny and off-topic. I didn't go on your post and talk about how it was impractical to detail a brand-new truck (not saying that it was, I think it looks great but I'm illustrating an example). So again; different strokes for different folks.

Also, this isn't a wish list - Life-willing, I am doing all of these parts and will open a post when I start the process.

Thanks again!

No need to be defensive you came here for opinions about MPG and were not happy with the answers. I fully support you doing anything that makes you happy. I just think it is a bit silly to spend thousands in parts and care about mpg.

I am sure eastcoastgears did the math as anyone with a basic high school education should be able to calculate gearing ratios would love to plop in 4.10 myself. Fact is that is only part of the equation and GM does not spend millions testing wind and rolling resistance etc etc for nothing.

No need to be defensive you came here for opinions about MPG and were not happy with the answers. I fully support you doing anything that makes you happy. I just think it is a bit silly to spend thousands in parts and care about mpg.

I am sure eastcoastgears did the math as anyone with a basic high school education should be able to calculate gearing ratios. Fact is that is only part of the equation and GM does not spend millions testing wind and rolling resistance etc etc for nothing.

It may be a bit silly for you, but not for me ;) I also didn't get defensive, I was illustrating that what may be silly to you might make sense for me and vice-versae. I get free labor on most of the build and the parts that I'm talking about that are for MPG ONLY are minimal. I would gear it for towing (boat, camper, and hallmark) and exhaust it for sound regardless of MPG gains. I'd also want a programmer after lift/gears to recalibrate everything myself and try different tunes/settings for towing and performance.

Also, my response about EastCoastGears was because you said "They are pulling your leg". I don't want their reputation to get smeared... they never said a word about getting stock MPG, they only recommended a ratio to me.

It may be a bit silly for you, but not for me ;) I also didn't get defensive, I was illustrating that what may be silly to you might make sense for me and vice-versae. I get free labor on most of the build and the parts that I'm talking about that are for MPG ONLY are minimal. I would gear it for towing (boat, camper, and hallmark) and exhaust it for sound regardless of MPG gains. I'd also want a programmer after lift/gears to recalibrate everything myself and try different tunes/settings for towing and performance.

Also, my response about EastCoastGears was because you said "They are pulling your leg". I don't want their reputation to get smeared... they never said a word about getting stock MPG, they only recommended a ratio to me.

All good. And please update us after, I think most of us were just confused and thought best possible MPG was your end goal. Wish I could get some free labor swapping out gears myself that is one I am not willing to do solo so jealous of that.

All good. And please update us after, I think most of us were just confused and thought best possible MPG was your end goal. Wish I could get some free labor swapping out gears myself that is one I am not willing to do solo so jealous of that.

As you said, all good. I was hoping the parts had more weight on MPG then they probably do, which is why I opened the MPG thread in the first place.

I use the term free labor loosely. Lots of favors for favors. Also, I can't exactly dump my truck off during normal business and expect it to get done. Usually, we do stuff like this late at night through the week and are up until 1-2am working on it. But def worth it! He's capable of doing the lift as well, so I'm tossing that idea around.

running premium does help with mpg both city highway. With my calculations over 10k miles it is about an average of nearly 3mpg on the highway.

I do feel a difference in throttle response and smoothness at idle with regular and premium (93) and prefer to run premium.

The 3 mpg you are seeing are mostly due to the engine breaking in. You aren't getting 3 mpg from running premium on a tune for a truck that needs 87. You will see a few tenths and up to maybe 1 mpg I have heard but even that sounds far fetched from what all the actual testing and science actually shows. At roughly 40 cents more a gallon if you were getting 3 mpg you would be coming out ahead versus regular which just isn't the case.

When I say better MPG after a lift, I don't mean in comp to OEM. I mean; Lifted truck, no parts, 14MPG. Added some bolt-ons, back up to 17-18MPG. I've seen other posts on here claiming 19MPG with 35's. Just curious about what I could do.

For all of those who don't understand, etc... let me try to shed some light. I'm a commuter, but I want a lifted truck. I make enough money for it not to be a huge concern vs my wants. However, why shouldn't I try to get the best MPG possible? Maybe for you, it would take years for a return, but I have 200k+ on my 2013. I'm not naive in thinking I'll get better than stock MPG, that's not what I meant. I meant better MPG vs after lift with no parts.

I may have hit the wrong forum to look for help. Even though I'm asking a question with a financial metric (MPG), I didn't realize that I would get financial advice from others who know nothing of my situation. Didn't realize this was a financial forum, thought it was a truck forum.

Thanks!

They could possibly be getting 19 mpg at 55 on flat ground using cruise control then claim they get 19 all day but that isn't happening. Any mpg you will get back will be minimal at best if you do everything (tonneau, exhaust, shed some weight, ram air intake). The ram air is key as it will pull air from in front of the truck and keep the heat soak down and keep it from pulling timing, all those others that are in the engine bay are mostly useless with the amount of heat they absorb and pull. If you go that route a sealed box is best.

In the end yes saving more gas is always better for everyone, but if you are doing it strictly from a financial perspective it will never even out. $700 for a tonneau, $300 for a intake, $600 for a catback, that buys a ton of gas which won't be offset by the 1 mpg you might get back.

When getting your lift, find C load rating or P load tires if at all possible, that will help.

Never understood a lift myself as in most ways it makes it less capable except in some off road situations which these trucks will probably never see, they aren't looked at as cool or anything anymore either so street cred isn't going up.

Tyler

Never understood a lift myself as in most ways it makes it less capable except in some off road situations which these trucks will probably never see, they aren't looked at as cool or anything anymore either so street cred isn't going up.

Tyler

This^^^^^!!!!!

Tyler

Well, that is one opinion that obviously isn't shared by everyone. They aren't looked at as cool or anything from who? You?... Cool. They are still cool to me and a ton of other folks. Hence the reason for such a wide selection of lifts, etc for our trucks. They're common enough that I don't have to get one custom built so apparently some people still think they're cool :)

Thanks for your other advice, though. I'll research the ram air options.

Archived