The only aspect about new lift kits that I don't understand is how functional it will be if it's not increasing the articulation capability of the suspension arms. Most them just take the stock strut assembly and move it 4-6 lower in location. Which is practical for the effort of larger tired but doesn't increase the off-road capability. So I see the points in both arguments. Just don't think either are wrong.

As for me, I play in the mud not on the rocks. So long reach suspension isn't a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i noticed 1mpg after the k&n drop in replacement..i was up to about 16.8 daily driving.. then leveled, and took off the front air damn for more clearance......now i'm back down to 15.8.....

To answer your question none. These K2 are already tuned for the best MPG possible.

Lifting, yup that will kill your MPG.

CAI does absolutely nothing, zip zilch bubcus for HP or MPG in these as the Factory airbox supplies more than enough air (the engine is a vacuum and cannot possibly suck more you would have to add turbo or supercharging to get anything increase whatso ever from intake.

Programmer will kill your MPG because every single one will say to run premium gas *GM recommends 87 octane for 5.3L

Flowmaster catback might actually help MPG marginally but with the $800-$1000 costs + install it would take years and years to see any return on that.

To answer your question if you want best MPG (which means spending the least) do not do anything.

Premium gas just burns hotter you should have more power but no real "MPG" gain considering the cost difference. ie) you would have got 1.3 miles out of the same dollar value running 87 octane. Dollar for Dollar you will get better "MPG" from lower octane.

*MPG in quotes because yes we know what it means but the real goal of MPG is to spend less on fuel. I like to think of it as Dollar Per Mile these days.

Incorrect opinion.

Unlike most with strong opinions on what they think they know about this topic I have 15 years of building engines, racing, tuning and dyno results. Thats just my hobbie. Im a engineer that enjoys applying theory.

So lets just start of and correct the CAI "not adding HP" False it will increase power. Even without a tune the PMC has a 10% relearn in the VE tables. You may see 5-10 RWHP. More power will help with MPG. Not worth the money IMO though.

These trucks are NOT already tuned to there "best MPG possible", or whatever that is supposed to mean. The timing in these trucks especially in the lower RMP are set extremely low and the VE tables have many restrictions applied. GM and all car companies do this as safe for the idiot in texas condition. Basically cars/truck tunes are set up to live under the worst weather condition with the the dumbest guy behind the wheel.. That is called a HACCP or Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point. In other words build the truck and tune to work in worst condition possible driven by the dumbest person possible.

Ok now the "premium fuel just burns hotter"... This is not true at all.

Nope, not hotter, faster, slower, or any of the things that our local mower repair man keeps telling my co-workers.

It is merely more resistant to self igniting in the presence of pressure, temperature, and hot spots.
It used to (often) have a lower energy content, but modern refining has made high density high octane fuel.

You will have to argue with Dave Frieberger about the CAI's. That is his opinion(and many others), which I just happen to agree with. If you do not know who that is look him up.

Never heard of her, I dont need to look up anyone to get a opinion. I dont mind a educated opinion but when someone asks a question try not to misinform them completely.

I live and eat next to a engine dyno. Thats a real world tool. Been doing this stuff for a long time.

DSC01539.jpg

f0b3adc7-cb00-4336-8fa0-4e3f68b73c78.jpg

2012-02-12_13-50-27_54.jpg

Never heard of her, I dont need to look up anyone to get a opinion. I dont mind a educated opinion but when someone asks a question try not to misinform them completely.

I live and eat next to a engine dyno. Thats a real world tool. Been doing this stuff for a long time.

dead_horse.jpg

I installed a Undercover Flex on my Denali a few weeks back. Got tired of dirt road dust covering everything in the back, and wanted something pretty solid that won't rip. I've noticed on the same 2.5 hour cruise-controlled trip to my ranch that I've been doing for quite a while, I've gained ~1.5mpg. Must be less turbulence in the bed, as I do see it flutter a bit at 75mph.

I have a k&n cai and I have improved my mpg 1.6 It has better throttle response at low rpm and definitely sounds waaayyyyy better. I also lowered my rear 2" and I'll know if it's help my mpg within the next two tanks. Just my $.02 K&N was worth the $252 just for the sound alone!

go big or go home...

My first mod was a 2 inch level then raised the rear 1 inch to keep a little rake and help with some of the squat when towing my boat. Notice no change in milage. Next was tires (earlier than I wanted due to a sidewall getting cut). The new tires were about 20lbs heavier each than stock and 2 inches taller and 1 inch wider and the biggest hit on mpg. (From 23mpg to 19mpg). Next I had exhaust put on. 3 inch from cat to 40 series Flowmaster then 3 inch out to a 3 1/2 inch tip. Milage dropped to 17 mpg. Next I removed the air dam from front. No change in mpg. Next was an air raid jr. With dry filter. No change in mpg. Had friend reset computer and do minor adjustments to compensate for mods and calibrated for tire size. Mpg picked back up to 19. I drive 90% highway keeping a light foot and under 65 mph. Helps a lot. Also premium gas gets me about 1mpg better than regular. I also have a tri fold soft tonneau cover but that was purchased and put on 30 minutes after purchasing truck so I don't know if that helps or not. Future plans are for BB tune and some panels under the body and bed to help aerodynamics. I have put all 80K miles on the truck and have had plenty of time to figure out the best driving practice for it to get best mpg. I'm not necessarily concerned about trying to get 40 mpg (I bought a Toyota Corolla for that) but I too want to get the best I can for what I have. I drive 100-150 miles a day for work so the better I can do the happier I am.

Did they do the math and let you know approx how many decades it will take to earn that all back in fuel savings :P. Chaging the gears alone will be $1-2k in shop time (if you have a 4x4 need to change front and rear diff).

Personally I think eastcoastgearsupply is pulling your leg even with a lift and 4.10 is no way on this earth you will achieve stock MPG's after a lift. Best of luck though and let us know how it goes. Here is hoping I am wrong.

You seem like the type of person who barely can afford a truck and wishes they could mod it. Literally everything you've said sounded like someone who barely makes it by. It his choice all he's trying to is achieve & get information as to whether he can/will get better gas mileage by doing certain mods. Not how long it will take for said mods to pay off in fuel economy savings.

You seem like the type of person who barely can afford a truck and wishes they could mod it. Literally everything you've said sounded like someone who barely makes it by. It his choice all he's trying to is achieve & get information as to whether he can/will get better gas mileage by doing certain mods. Not how long it will take for said mods to pay off in fuel economy savings.

No kids. Make 6 figures. Paid a 20k lease upfront no payments. Fact is I could go buy a z07 'vette or a Mercedes AMG if I wanted but is not very practical in my life.

Spent $1000+ to upgrade lights to LED SLT style, show me the next guy to do that. Then take your wild theories along with your personal attacks and drive it where the sun do not shine in your 17 year old clunker.

No kids. Make 6 figures. Paid a 20k lease upfront no payments. Fact is I could go buy a z07 'vette or a Mercedes AMG if I wanted but is not very practical in my life.

Spent $1000+ to upgrade lights to LED SLT style, show me the next guy to do that. Then take your wild theories and drive it where the sun do not shine in your 17 year old clunker.

Ladies you're both pretty. Let's keep the dick size show to a minimum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the best MPG improvement, get a turbo and leave the tuning alone. This will add more air resulting in higher MPGs. Up the boost to about 30psi with a typical 72-76mm turbo for maximum MPGs. This is as good of knowledge as premium fuel just burning hotter.

Archived