Happy with your seatbelt recall fix?

My dealer offered to buy me the new one. I told him I would pay for it. it's like 40.00.I found the old part number 22844140. It does say discontinued.When I called GM to complain about their fix they acted like my dealer did something wrong.anyone have a picture of a 2016.Do both sides come without the flaps.I gonna see if I can find an old part.I've always had good things to say about GM but they should have done better than this.

My dealer offered to buy me the new one. I told him I would pay for it. it's like 40.00.I found the old part number 22844140. It does say discontinued.When I called GM to complain about their fix they acted like my dealer did something wrong.anyone have a picture of a 2016.Do both sides come without the flaps.I gonna see if I can find an old part.I've always had good things to say about GM but they should have done better than this.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I seen a pic that someone posted of the new piece. It still had the flap like material cut away but a nicer cut, not a hack job like some have posted pics of.

Let us know what your new piece looks like when you get it.

• 1 month later...

so i took my truck in for the airbag recall a couple weeks ago. when i booked the appointment the dealership informed me that i hadn't done the seat belt recall fix yet.

i told them i was well aware of that and that i had seen online what the fix entails and there was no way anyone was taking a box cutter to my truck. i sent them the link to this thread and said if you can do the recall and not do any cutting then fine, otherwise i don't want it done.

three times i mentioned the cutting and each time i was reassured that nothing would be cut (the final reassurance was given when i dropped the truck off).

so i go to pick up my truck and you guessed it - the ol' box cutter treatment had been done. i was not impressed!

to the dealership's credit, the service guy i had been talking with immediately acknowledged that the tech guy wasn't supposed to cut the flaps, he must have just had a brain fart and forgot (i get it, it happens - you do it one way so much that you go into auto pilot and forget about not cutting it this one time).

i heard from my dealership this morning that a new replacement part will be in tomorrow and i just need to arrange a time to drop the truck off - so that makes me happy. i'm glad they are fixing it.

Took mine in just before christmas...had 4 recalls. Airbag, tow hitch,brake line bolt, and the seatbelt fix. Asked my service guy if it could be done with out the cutting of the flaps. He pulled the PIT bulletin...saw what it entailed and agreed it was crap. He said he would talk to the tech and have him not do the cutting. I have my seatbelt flaps intact.

I would advise you to approach your service guy in a friendly manner and ask that they not do the cutting.

Rick

Took mine in just before christmas...had 4 recalls. Airbag, tow hitch,brake line bolt, and the seatbelt fix. Asked my service guy if it could be done with out the cutting of the flaps. He pulled the PIT bulletin...saw what it entailed and agreed it was crap. He said he would talk to the tech and have him not do the cutting. I have my seatbelt flaps intact.

I would advise you to approach your service guy in a friendly manner and ask that they not do the cutting.

Rick

I tried that and the service manager responded that their fix would not be following the recommendations from GM and there could be liability issues down the road. Kinda why I have been avoiding the dealership.

That's what they told me. Had to cut it per GM. I don't care since I don't look at it anyways. If it ever bothers me I can just buy the new trim piece.

FYI, I seen a pic somewhere of the "new" piece that you can order. It has the flaps cut away but a bit better of a job than cutting it with a box cutter.

I just ordered the replacement part from GM Parts Giant. It is suppose to have a nicer cut. I will post some pics when I get it.

My plan is to pull my original off and install the replacement and then take it in to have the recall done. After they do the recall I will put my original back on... Then I will be happy to pass the replacement along to someone else who wants to retain the original panel along with trying to recoup some of my cost.

I will post pics of before and after...

There is another thread on here somewhere that was just updated yesterday with info about the "new" fix. GM is no longer cutting the flaps and tells the dealers to install new trim pieces (but not retroactive on any trucks that were already "fixed").

I can't find the thread right now but search "seatbelt recall" and it should come up.

Cannot find that thread. Can you point me to it please? Will be fantastic news if they have finally relented and decided not to go half assed. I have serious serious doubts this is true though. It would be so unlike GM to actually do right by their customers.

Cannot find that thread. Can you point me to it please? Will be fantastic news if they have finally relented and decided not to go half assed. I have serious serious doubts this is true though. It would be so unlike GM to actually do right by their customers.

Go here, Post #76:

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/189628-seat-belt-recall/page-6?hl=seat%20belt%20recall

I just ordered the replacement part from GM Parts Giant. It is suppose to have a nicer cut. I will post some pics when I get it.

My plan is to pull my original off and install the replacement and then take it in to have the recall done. After they do the recall I will put my original back on... Then I will be happy to pass the replacement along to someone else who wants to retain the original panel along with trying to recoup some of my cost.

I will post pics of before and after...

That would be great. Can you also post how you got the trim piece off and the new piece installed? Does not seem to be obvious to me how that is done given the seatbelt goes through the piece.

Archived