Considering a 2016 Yukon Denali XL, need advice.

You all with Michelins, are you replacing themselves, or is the dealer doing it?

GM does not authorize a brand change when there is a vibration or tires issue. They will replace tires and road force balance you into insanity or till you give up! This was my 3rd truck (same dealer) in this platform all had the vibration issue in different degrees. On the Denali I would not give them an inch regarding the vibration. 7 tires later and many dealer visits, and several RF balances I flipped out. I went into my sales manager and told them, word was Michelin defenders fix the issue and I wanted new tires!! Longer story but in the end they called and offered to buy two tires and pay to have all four installed and balanced. I paid for two and my truck was literally transformed. All that aggravation and solved so simply. GM knows. Bridgestones, and good years in larger sizes suck. I had both and I also felt they were dangerous in the rain, which is a big issue for a Florida truck. Michelins are awesome in all categories.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't noticed any issues yet, but IF I do, I'll buy the Michelins immediately and have them mounted at Costco. Not going to be playing dealer games with tire vibrations, etc.

Sea: Did you have buffeting (feeling like windows are rolled down when they're not)too? Did the Michelins fix that? Or did you have vibration only? Thanks.

Did not have buffeting or booming. I had a vibration shuddering. The vibration was insane as it moved when they rotated or road force balanced every time. If I loaded it, it would shudder. The Michelins are now smooth as glass at all speeds. It was so drastic of a change. When I picked it up the said they just mounted and balanced. I was annoyed and said why didn't you road force balance them? They said drive it, we didn't have to. Was true. I also noticed a big noise difference as the Michelins are quieter too.

I haven't noticed any issues yet, but IF I do, I'll buy the Michelins immediately and have them mounted at Costco. Not going to be playing dealer games with tire vibrations, etc.

I agree. I got principle orientated as this was my third truck and a lot of money. Looking back 1200 bucks I could have been done with this whole 4 month dealer journey on week one. I wasn't as informed then and was concerned it could be something else. It seems over 90% are solved with new tires.

So we picked the Yukon today.

Test drove it for 40 miles.

We experienced some slight vibration. The dealership took it in immediately and road forced balanced the wheels which were 36 lbs.

Got them all down to 20 or below. The vibration is 99% gone. Service dept. said if I wasn't happy, they'd order a new set of tires since he (service manager) didn't know how long these had been sitting.

Pretty confident the tires suck.

I agree. I got principle orientated as this was my third truck and a lot of money. Looking back 1200 bucks I could have been done with this whole 4 month dealer journey on week one. I wasn't as informed then and was concerned it could be something else. It seems over 90% are solved with new tires.

Seamus,

Which Michelins did you go with? The Premier LTX, or Defender LTX?

The Defender LTX. I was told these were the replacement for the Premier and improved. I was also told you can't go wrong with either. It does say something here about it replacing.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Defender+LTX+M%2FS&partnum=845HR2DLTX&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=GMC&autoYear=2015&autoModel=Yukon%20XL&autoModClar=Denali

------Compared to the popular Michelin LTX M/S2 it replaces, the new Defender LTX M/S tires share the same highly functional tread pattern,----

Both tires have great reviews, I just went with the latest as My service manager had them and loved them. I now agree.

Here it is besides the matching Sierra.

Congrats!! I too have black. It's a part time job!!! LOL But looks awesome when done! You can play the game with the dealer and maybe they get it on the next set of tires. If they got that much vibration out, sounds like it's the tires. My only concern for you getting the Michelin Defenders is that I just saw you are in Virginia. Read up on them as they say they are not really a snow tire. For me here in Fla. rain performance was essential when we get sudden downpours and the rainy season here. They are great in the rain. The bridgestones and goodyears were terrible. Good luck!!

Here I looked:

NOTE: The Defender LTX M/S Highway All-Season tire is NOT a dedicated winter / snow tire. It does NOT meet the severe snow traction requirements and is NOT branded with the mountain/snowflake symbol.

Congrats!! I too have black. It's a part time job!!! LOL But looks awesome when done! You can play the game with the dealer and maybe they get it on the next set of tires. If they got that much vibration out, sounds like it's the tires. My only concern for you getting the Michelin Defenders is that I just saw you are in Virginia. Read up on them as they say they are not really a snow tire. For me here in Fla. rain performance was essential when we get sudden downpours and the rainy season here. They are great in the rain. The bridgestones and goodyears were terrible. Good luck!!

Here I looked:

NOTE:[/size] The Defender LTX M/S Highway All-Season tire is [/size]NOT[/size] a dedicated winter / snow tire. It does [/size]NOT[/size] meet the severe snow traction requirements and is NOT branded with the mountain/snowflake symbol.[/size]

Thanks Seamus.

By any chance, does your have any types of rattles around the center and top of the dash around bumpy roads?

Hard to believe I didn't notice the rattling on the 40 miles test drive. It's super quiet on regular roads, but sounds like there's a few loose clips on bumpy roads.

No, I thought I did but it was a small flashlight that I had in the console. Wrapped it in a little towel and noise gone. But I did read about a dash rattle, and there was a TSB for it. It was a bracket needing to be affixed?? Do a search here and google I forget where i read it. It was a simple fix. Make sure you have nothing behind the radio cubby or sunglass holder, or glove box. I am so sick of going to dealer and stressing how anal I am that I want no dings or dents!! But I still have five issues that I am living with for now:

drivers seat clicks under load forward and braking

brake pedal squeaks---very annoying in traffic, main place I hear it

clunk in steering wheel, usually slow going left

delayed engagement going into gear

climate control stays stuck on recirculate when first started even if light is not on, you can hear the noise difference. If I hit recirculate then off it does cycle off but stays stuck until you do.

But other than that I am enjoying the truck. The only real critique I would make is the suspension is too tight for a luxury truck, and wish being that it has mag ride that it was adjustable, as it could be. My Zo6 has mag ride and it has 2 settings. But I will say when driving hard it does handle well and safely.

No, I thought I did but it was a small flashlight that I had in the console. Wrapped it in a little towel and noise gone. But I did read about a dash rattle, and there was a TSB for it. It was a bracket needing to be affixed?? Do a search here and google I forget where i read it. It was a simple fix. Make sure you have nothing behind the radio cubby or sunglass holder, or glove box. I am so sick of going to dealer and stressing how anal I am that I want no dings or dents!! But I still have five issues that I am living with for now:

drivers seat clicks under load forward and braking

brake pedal squeaks---very annoying in traffic, main place I hear it

clunk in steering wheel, usually slow going left

delayed engagement going into gear

climate control stays stuck on recirculate when first started even if light is not on, you can hear the noise difference. If I hit recirculate then off it does cycle off but stays stuck until you do.

But other than that I am enjoying the truck. The only real critique I would make is the suspension is too tight for a luxury truck, and wish being that it has mag ride that it was adjustable, as it could be. My Zo6 has mag ride and it has 2 settings. But I will say when driving hard it does handle well and safely.

Thanks Seamus.

I'm going to give it some time. My Sierra had a few snap, crakles and pops, and then one day it stopped. Like the plastic was settling.

I know what you mean about going to he dealer and having them think you're just nitpicking. But it's an 80k truck, it should be right.

I'll look up the TSB, hopefully it's that and it can be addressed.

I agree, the mag ride is harsh. Oddly, we pushed for the Denali because of the mag ride and the 6.2L.

On the Sierra side, Everyone always comments on how nice the mag ride was. But it's completely different on the Yukon.

Yep! On all three trucks I spend the first couple of months fine tuning the truck to be what it is supposed to be. They do settle in along the way. Have always been a GM guy, but at this price point they have to do a better job to compete. I have had issues w/ Mercedes and BMW but overall quality was higher. At 80K they are in a nicely equipped GL550 territory! But I am a lot more comfortable with longterm ownership on a Denali than a Benz or BMW! I have no regrets on the 6.2 8 speed. Really performs when needed and tows very nicely. Between the kids, dog, road trips and towing, it does everything pretty well. I will bet the mag ride becomes adjustable in future models.

Archived