DEF Consumption

I have put about 14K miles on mine, about 11K has been pulling my trailer. The DEF has been right about 1 gallon per 1K miles. I usually go about 3K miles, and fill the tank up using either the truck stop pumps, or buying the container in the truck stop store. That count down thing drives me nuts, and it is only 5-10 minutes to top it off.

Mark

I have put about 14K miles on mine, about 11K has been pulling my trailer. The DEF has been right about 1 gallon per 1K miles. I usually go about 3K miles, and fill the tank up using either the truck stop pumps, or buying the container in the truck stop store. That count down thing drives me nuts, and it is only 5-10 minutes to top it off.

Mark

I had 30% remaining @ 5200 miles. Dealer filled up when I had the oil changed and I haven't got a 30% yet and I'm just under 10k

• 2 years later...
On 9/16/2016 at 5:29 PM, 20Bowtie14 said:

I had my first service and the dealer tech who filled my DEF tank left a series of scratches about 6 inches long on my quarter panel :(. Then it looked like he took a dry rag and wiped off his greasy hand prints on another section... I polished my black truck about 3 weeks ago to remove most of the swirls and there were NO scratches whatsoever so I'm a little upset..

Sorry to hear that, I would be Highly pissed off to see scratches on my truck. Any way you can get them to clean the scratches up for you ??

Edited by Cedar64

Bought my truck new, put 1600 miles on it and had a warning come on telling me that I had to add DEF fluid. Thought that was quite odd, but after reading some of your posts I can understand why they only put so much fluid in them after they come off of the line. I dropped 5 gallons in the tank and 4800 miles I still have the OK reading on the function screen. See how many miles I can go before the warning signal appears again

I keep this in my phone photos.

For BlueDEF from another forum. GM says to use AC Delco but the trick is not to buy old DEF. if it is close to over 3 months old then I don’t buy it. I also don’t just fill it all the way up as it ages in the tank, also degrades very quick in the heat.

My brother-in-law who has an older F250 got in a pinch a few years ago and put ditchwater in his until he was able to add DEF with no issues at all...ours (or just newer ones in general?) are way more sensitive.

A3EC94DD-05EE-4383-87B7-B868E7CF67AB.jpeg

Edited by EXSlider400

Bought my truck new, put 1600 miles on it and had a warning come on telling me that I had to add DEF fluid. Thought that was quite odd, but after reading some of your posts I can understand why they only put so much fluid in them after they come off of the line. I dropped 5 gallons in the tank and 4800 miles I still have the OK reading on the function screen. See how many miles I can go before the warning signal appears again
Just remember that it's based on fuel usage, not miles....

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Why they dont have an actual guage is beyond me. My Ram had a guage and if getting ready for a long trip you knew if it needed topped off before you left. Also i use WalMart brand, have used it in 3 different pickups, a MB suv and 2 diferent DP motorhomes. I have never had an issue that was caused by the def.

• 7 months later...

I have a 2016 Duramax and I am only getting 2000 miles on a full DEF tank.

Should get 5000. I took it to dealer, said I had a problem, truck under warranty, they looked at it and said they could not find a problem. Therefore, they charged me a full hours labor because they couldn't find a problem.

What is going on!!

I have a 2016 Duramax and I am only getting 2000 miles on a full DEF tank.

Should get 5000. I took it to dealer, said I had a problem, truck under warranty, they looked at it and said they could not find a problem. Therefore, they charged me a full hours labor because they couldn't find a problem.

What is going on!!

Sounds like you have a nox sensor bad. Take it to a different dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

Waiting for new delivery of a duromax, dealer swapping from arizona, 5/18 build date, should I have them drain the DEF tank and then reload?  Also, distilled DEF vs deionized, will there be a difference in the pump crud or longivity of the system

No need to drain anything.

I didn't know there was a difference for DEF. My work truck uses whatever I can get my hands on and it has never had a single issue. 90% of the time it's DEF from the truck stop and the rest in the 2.5 gallon jugs of DEF from Napa.

• 2 months later...

Finished first year on my 2019 Sierra 3500 HD, over 30,000km averaging a jug of DEF every 2700km or 11 jugs in 12 months or whatever else. Crazy. Only runs out when I leave the city limits. Usually notifies me half way through the point of no return and my destination so I can introduce myself to yet another GM dealer parts counter.  It well thought out since it’s easy to over fill and spill. Like some diesel gas pumps. :(

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2019 at 12:15 AM, CamGTP said:

No need to drain anything.

I didn't know there was a difference for DEF. My work truck uses whatever I can get my hands on and it has never had a single issue. 90% of the time it's DEF from the truck stop and the rest in the 2.5 gallon jugs of DEF from Napa.

There isn't.

DEF is DEF. 

It's all made to the same ISO spec.