Should GM Maintain the Column Shifter on Next Gen?

• 2 weeks later...

The decision has been made.

The 2019 trucks shown at the NAIAS (Detroit auto show) are equipped with column shifters. 

Some trims will get push button start.

Edited by redwngr
  • Like 1

I'm pretty indifferent to the shifter location (last two trucks had console shifters), but wouldn't mind the push button start. The wife's Jeep has that and it's pretty nice to just jump in and go without fumbling with keys. The wide open console is great, but my wife just fills it with more crap when she rides with me.

• 2 months later...

I hate to disagree with the majority but keyless and console shifter for me on upper trims. Properly placed you can shift while resting your elbow. And I love the paddle shifters but not the after thought ones on my Denali that are hard to reach.  A good keyless system really has no downside except for a slight “getting used to”  by the owner.  To each his own!

Edited by Ron.s

• 3 weeks later...

Knobs are stupid.  I like the console shifter in my wife's car.  But I don't mind the column shifter in the truck.  It's a little easier  to use, and gives a lot of storage.

I would like push button start, just because it seems cool.  Seems like something that should be offered on $50K or $60K trucks in this day and age.  

• 1 month later...
On 8/8/2016 at 9:32 AM, bassJAM said:

My current truck, a Frontier, has the center console shifter and I do prefer using it over a column shifter. But it does take up a lot of space and makes the center console unusable for anything other than the cupholders. So I'm kind of torn between the 2. I've never used Ram's type, but I don't think I'd like it.

I'm surprised push button start caught on. I remember when it first started hitting non-luxury cars and I had several of them as rentals. They're OK, but not any better than a keyed ignition. I think of it as more of a novelty.

It seems to me that for work trucks, construction, Ranch, Farm, etc, where several people, crews and such may be in out a truck during the day, there’s a high risk that someone might stick the fob in their pocket and head off somewhere away from the truck.  Whereas with a key setup the practice of leaving it in the ignition is ingrained.  Maybe I’m wrong but seems to me a key ignition is better for multiple people situations.  

• 1 month later...

Owned 1 ford in between my 5 GMs. Column shifter way more comfortable for me, but probably because that’s what I’m most used to. Probably would make sense to make a keyless option if you want to pay for it. 

I would love to see GM come up with some kind of combination lock like my ford had. I used that all the time. Able to lock keys in truck while I went to gym or for a run or paddle boarding. I can use onStar, but still have to carry phone. That sucks when you go on water or for run.