Should GM Maintain the Column Shifter on Next Gen?

What are your thoughts? I like push button start and want that feature but I just can't drive or should I say REVERSE and 12 point turning situations without the Column shift. In my opinion the benefits of having column shift far outweigh the Ford and RAM Options. The electronic knob on the Rams is just downright "JANKY" I thought that was the "TRUCK" Company?

• Like 1

Column...and keep the keyed ignition.

I agree 100%. I have the push button start in my Jeep and do not care for it that much. I also have the "unlock" option when you put your hand on the door handle and don't care for that much either. Too easy to unlock it you shut the door and your hand is near the handle.

• Like 2

I hate the floor shifter. I was dead set on a new F-150 till I went to the lot and every truck I saw had a floor shifter. I drove a GM truck only cuz a buddy of mine was raving about his and saw they all had console shifters. Very glad I did as I love my GMC.

I don't understand why the colorado/canyon have floor shifters either. You would assume that in a smaller truck you'd want more space and the floor shifter is a total waste of space on an already small truck. Plus it gets in the way when the lady wants to lay down.

• Like 5

What are your thoughts? I like push button start and want that feature but I just can't drive or should I say REVERSE and 12 point turning situations without the Column shift. In my opinion the benefits of having column shift far outweigh the Ford and RAM Options. The electronic knob on the Rams is just downright "JANKY" I thought that was the "TRUCK" Company?

Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep is owned by Fiat, an Italian company. It is about as far as 'the TRUCK company' one can get except of course for being a Honda Element.

I prefer column shifter to a stick shifter, I think they are just goofy on an automatic.

Edited by Alpine Truck Life
  • Like 1

.02:

Chrysler, Plymouth, Dodge, DeSotos had push button shifting in the early - mid 60s.....discontinued and haven't had them since....and for good reason.

Have the push button start in the Malibu....they can keep it....same with that POS start/stop!

• Like 1

My current truck, a Frontier, has the center console shifter and I do prefer using it over a column shifter. But it does take up a lot of space and makes the center console unusable for anything other than the cupholders. So I'm kind of torn between the 2. I've never used Ram's type, but I don't think I'd like it.

I'm surprised push button start caught on. I remember when it first started hitting non-luxury cars and I had several of them as rentals. They're OK, but not any better than a keyed ignition. I think of it as more of a novelty.