Should GM Maintain the Column Shifter on Next Gen?

• 2 weeks later...

+1 For Column Shift and proximity key

I love that GM is has stuck with the column shift even on its high end Trucks, both Ram and Ford assume as soon as you want a premium truck you must want a console shift like a luxury car, but as others have mentioned even in Luxo trim guys still do actual work with these things and the column shift is the most efficient for keeping maximum console space while still having the positive feel/feedback of changing gears compared to Rams rotary dial.

I wouldn't mind seeing the proximity entry especially now that the tailgate lock is tied in with the door locks, several times I have come up to the back of the truck carrying something heavy and it would be very nice to just grab the handle and have the tailgate unlock rather then trying to fish the keys out of a jacket pocket

• 2 weeks later...

KEEP THE COLUMN SHIFTER!!! It opens up a lot of space in the console. I wish my wife's enclave had a column shifter. I love driving her car but have no place to put my phone, coffee cup and glasses, not to mention any bolts or misc junk i am taking to Home Depot to match up. Column shifters look cool, column shifters are more practical. My friends that have F150's with consoles have no room. It looks like my wife's Enclave.

I have had a push button BMW, Keyed E39 BMW, and my entire family (Parents etc) have the new Altimas with proximity keys. I rather keep my laser cut key system. Let me explain why the new Altima key system sucks. My dad and mom drove my wife and i home from dinner one night. Got to the house, my mom and my wife went inside, my dad and I drove back out to the store. When we parked, we realized the key was in my mom's purse...... 5 miles back home. So one of us stayed in the car with it idling while the other went in and did the shopping. So hip and cool, they should make a commercial about it (Sarcasm). My E90 BMW had push button start and a key fob that needed to be inserted into the dash. I was OK with that, something had to be inserted into the car. But these keys that are completely wireless.... that's trendy BS for hipster commercials.

Edited by FL335i

• 4 weeks later...

Column shifter but push button start with the proximity sensor to unlock doors and tailgate should be an option. My wife has push button and I hate having to pull out the key chain for my truck when all I have to do for her car is grab the handle.

My family owned GM vehicles for decades for one reason "Column shifter" :D

we currently own 2 (2015/2016) ESV Escalades and 2016 Silverado HC

so after trying both features my vote goes to:

column shifter + push start button + keyless entry + bird view camera

• Like 1

I'm torn myself on the shifter. It will definitely have the keyless entry and push button start. Just look at every other GM car and SUV coming out. They all have push button start. Had it on my Cruze and loved it.

First car with a console shift was a '65 Impala SS, basically a six passenger vehicle wide enough for 3 in the front in the base Impala but the sporty two door with console and vinyl buckets were a chick magnet.....the flip down buckets and a wider console gave quick easy access to the roomy rear without opening a door!

Today's narrower "full size" cars (not to mention the even narrower mid/compact/subs) don't have enough space for 3 to fit comfortably in the front.....so they are forced to put a floor console to accommodate adults in the 2-1/2 wide width cars. But the Silverado/Sierra class is the width of the 60s full size, the 40/20/40 is essentially 2 buckets with a fold down console with floor space to accommodate 3 in the front so why bother with a console and lose a potential seat?

Edited by Thomcat

• 3 weeks later...

I vote keyed ignition and a column shifter.

This is a no brainer to me. Trucks are about functionality. A column shifter is more functional as it frees up so much centre console space, plus it's likely cheaper to build. Also, I like to rest my hand on the shifter to adjust the radio while I'm driving.

As for the key versus the push to start...I personally couldn't care less for push to start. I've had it in a couple of cars and it's honestly pointless. One time I dropped my wife off and she left the vehicle with the fob in her pocket. 30 seconds down the road the car started alerting me that the key had left the vehicle. Great "convenience" feature that made me have to turn around to go get the fob. I'd rather have a mechanical system that works along side a digital security feature. Add an immobilizer along with the key and that's fine with me.

• 4 months later...

I spent the better part of 2 days driving a Dodge Rebel. In addition to not being too thrilled about the knob for a shifter, the cruise control button set up leaves a lot to be desired as well.

Edited by revrnd

• 5 months later...
On 12/28/2016 at 10:00 AM, FL335i said:

K

I have had a push button BMW, Keyed E39 BMW, and my entire family (Parents etc) have the new Altimas with proximity keys. I rather keep my laser cut key system. Let me explain why the new Altima key system sucks. My dad and mom drove my wife and i home from dinner one night. Got to the house, my mom and my wife went inside, my dad and I drove back out to the store. When we parked, we realized the key was in my mom's purse...... 5 miles back home. So one of us stayed in the car with it idling while the other went in and did the shopping. So hip and cool, they should make a commercial about it (Sarcasm). My E90 BMW had push button start and a key fob that needed to be inserted into the dash. I was OK with that, something had to be inserted into the car. But these keys that are completely wireless.... that's trendy BS for hipster commercials.

We had a similar adventure where the vehicle was driven away without the phone.

We also know of a fire started when the car was left running in the garage and the fob with the house key attached taken inside. 

I do like the way proximity detection works for unlock but am quite happen with my keys and the fob handing from the ignition.

Guess that makes me a vote for key + proximity.