2016 SD Card Reader Installed

My 16 didn't have an SD card reader. The usb ports in the armrest crapped out. Dealer couldn't get part quickly so they replaced it with I'm guessing is a 2015 version that has the SD card reader. I figured it wouldn't work but I popped an SD card in and sure enough it shows up under media and plays music. Android auto still works as does everything else.

So I guess anyone with a 16 could swap out the usb ports for a 2015 with the SD card reader. Sorry don't have a part number.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 16 didn't have an SD card reader. The usb ports in the armrest crapped out. Dealer couldn't get part quickly so they replaced it with I'm guessing is a 2015 version that has the SD card reader. I figured it wouldn't work but I popped an SD card in and sure enough it shows up under media and plays music. Android auto still works as does everything else.

So I guess anyone with a 16 could swap out the usb ports for a 2015 with the SD card reader. Sorry don't have a part number.

Any pics for this? Is this the center console with bucket seats?

Would love to add a SD reader since the bluetooth is absolutely terrible. CarPlay works great but I would prefer a SD chip.

Any pics for this? Is this the center console with bucket seats?

Would love to add a SD reader since the bluetooth is absolutely terrible. CarPlay works great but I would prefer a SD chip.

What Bt device are you using to stream from?

What Bt device are you using to stream from?

iPhone 6s using Apple Music. When I use the USB cord to connect with CarPlay it works great.

But when connected wirelessly with bluetooth, it cuts out every 20 seconds usually.

I have the center console with no seats. It looks just the original 2 usb setup only the usb slots are turned 90 and they have the SD card slot jammed in there too

But no wireless charging on this though?

iPhone 6s using Apple Music. When I use the USB cord to connect with CarPlay it works great.

But when connected wirelessly with bluetooth, it cuts out every 20 seconds usually.

But no wireless charging on this though?

Mine has the wireless charging armrest. Although it rarely works with my samsung

I was wondering what it would take to get an SD card reader.

I have the center console with no seats. It looks just the original 2 usb setup only the usb slots are turned 90 and they have the SD card slot jammed in there too

Can you post a picture of this please?

Here is a picture link in this ebay post. $30. It just pops out with a screw driver then unplug it and plug in the new one probably. I put in a 16 gb SD card with all my music. It even work with voice search. Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/331701076065

Update. So the 15 SD card reader in my 16 works with an SD card and Android auto but it won't recognize my wife iphone for carplay. She has to use the front usb next to the power plug for carplay to work. So just wanted to mention that incase anyone was going to try this mod.

Here is a picture link in this ebay post. $30. It just pops out with a screw driver then unplug it and plug in the new one probably. I put in a 16 gb SD card with all my music. It even work with voice search. Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/331701076065

How the hell did you get it out without destroying the old one? I can get the existing part rear edge (aka towards the rear of the truck) to come up about an inch now, but the front won't budge at all and there's no room to get anything in there to pry. . I am pulling hard enough that I'm surprised I haven't snapped plastic yet.

• 6 months later...

Update. So the 15 SD card reader in my 16 works with an SD card and Android auto but it won't recognize my wife iphone for carplay. She has to use the front usb next to the power plug for carplay to work. So just wanted to mention that incase anyone was going to try this mod.

wish i would of seen this post before i got the reader on ebay, only paid 14.99 for it so no big loss, confirmed apple carplay does not work with this reader, have to use the front usb ports. I do have 2 sd card readers, so if someone wants one shoot me a message and i'll sell it for what i paid for it.

Archived