2016 Yukon Denali Ringing Noise under mild/moderate acceleration

My 2016 Yukon Denali is exhibiting a ringing noise upon mild to moderate acceleration. I have upload a video to YouTube and added annotations to demonstrate. I first noticed the issue at about 600 miles and it now has 2660 miles at the time of this post.

It occurs between 1000 and 3000 RPMs and below 45 mph. Above that I cannot hear it. It only occurs when in gear. Revving in neutral does not produce the sound.

I've taken it into Ewing Buick GMC in Plano twice with no resolution. The first time the service advisor rode with me and heard it. The technician rode with me and said he heard nothing abnormal for these engines.

The second time, a different technician rode with me. He couldn't hear it. Both techs say these engines make all kinds of noises. This is frustrating because GMC advertises active-noise cancelation and makes it seem like the vehicle is much quieter than it actually is.

I've now made this video and it is very evident. It sounds like under load air is ringing through the exhaust. It sounds similar to the resonance created when rubbing wet fingers around the lip of a wine glass. The hotter the air temp, the louder the noise. It was 100 F outside when I took this video.

I've ran 93 octane from Top Tier stations since purchase. I've filled up mostly at Shell and Costco (both top tier). I even tried QuickTrip who has "guaranteed gas". It happens regardless.

Anyone else have this issue and have you resolved it? Any thoughts on what it might be?

Edited by Denali Drivin' Dad
  • Like 1

Detonation! Better up the octane on that 6.2L or you will get a good look at the enternals when they become extenals.

Thanks but it isn't octane. I've been running 93 octane since purchase and I've filled up from various Top Tier stations such as Costco and Shell. I also tried QuickTrip gas (they have guaranteed gas) and I get the noise regardless.

Thanks but it isn't octane. I've been running 93 octane since purchase and I've filled up from various Top Tier stations such as Costco and Shell. I also tried QuickTrip gas (they have guaranteed gas) and I get the noise regardless.

In the extreme heat you need more than 93. Try some booster and see if it goes away.

My 2015 Suburban was making a funny engine noise like a knock, I brought it over to the dealer in it's been there for two weeks now. They are replacing lifters,crankshaft and who knows what else. Let's hope this is not your case, all the best...

My 2015 Suburban was making a funny engine noise like a knock, I brought it over to the dealer in it's been there for two weeks now. They are replacing lifters,crankshaft and who knows what else. Let's hope this is not your case, all the best...

Not good. This doesn't seem to be a knock or a bang, it is a harmonic ringing. Did it sound anything like what is presented in the video in the original post above? My dealership has been playing dumb about it. I've reached out to GM Customer Care on this forum and am awaiting a response.

Honestly It does sound a bit similar, but my knock was alot louder and break between each knock. I would say to check your oil Level since these trucks consume oil, also They take nine Quartz, make sure is Syntic oil 0-20

Thanks for the response. The oil level is fine. It is reading full. I only have 2660 miles on it. It wasn't even that dirty yet.

Just an update on this. We have cooler temps in DFW. The Yukon Denali does not exhibit noise demonstrated in the video above in 78 degree weather. I suspect this why I didn't notice it until 600 miles. It was in the 70s when I purchased in June. July came along and we've been in the upper 90s and 100s until now.

Definitely sounds like a harmonic, like in the exhaust flow or in take air flow. It is under load. I would check all the clamps on the intake air tubes, and also the band clamps on the exhaust. I had one loose at the cat and it made a swoosh sound under load. Tightened it no problem since. It's a whistle, high pitched vibration, or harmonic. I bet it's something stupid not big.

• 3 weeks later...

Naw real simple fix. The heat shield above your catalytic converter/ muffler area (the one fastened to the floorboard) has some gravel that has gotten stuck above it. I got mine out by shaking it until the gravel fell out. Very irritating that is for sure but at the most 5 minute fix. Crawl underneath and tap on the heat shield you will hear it. For some reason they are not fastening the floorboard heat shields very well and they have a pretty good gap around the edges allowing crap to get in there. Mine has not done it again once I got the rock out at around 500 miles I am at 4500 miles now. Sorry not a good pic but crawl underneath and you will see the heat shield that is attached to the floorboard itself it is more towards the front I guess around the third cat.

Mine does not exactly look like that anymore as I had the GM Borla dual exhaust installed VROOOOOMM

Edited by MyFavTruck