HOW TO LIFT and MAINTAIN RIDE QUALITY AND RAKE?

2015 Duramax Dinali Turbo-Diesel

I was giving 2 options

option 1 - A 3" lift with 2"wheel spacers and new upper control arms along with 35x12.5x20 on the stock rims.

option 2 - Install 22" rims, 3" lift, upper control arm and installing a tire with the same section height as the stock tires.

How can i accomplish this without sacrificing ride quality?

3" lift seem too high for me. i don't want the monster look and rather give the the stout look.

HOW TO properly LIFT and MAINTAIN RIDE QUALITY and FACTORY RAKE?

My friend has the same truck with the factory wheels, leveling keys with 35's mickey Thomson's. The truck looks great, but it rides TERRIBLE.

I want to do right.

Please help!

Any kind of lift whether cranking torsion bars or adding keys ( for two inches this is no different than cranking factory keys ) is going to make the ride stiffer. That is just the way it is with torsion bars. I just did mine ( cranked factory keys two inches) but at the advice of a friend I upgraded to Pro Comp shocks. This helps with the ride a little bit. You should at least put shock extensions in even if you just crank factory keys so that the factory shocks aren't topping out all the time. This will help as well.

I don't consider the ride bad but it is a little stiffer than stock.

Hope this helps. In any event you will need a wheel alignment too.

The other option is the BDS system that replaces the torsion bars with coils. But that is going to be pricey

Any kind of lift whether cranking torsion bars or adding keys ( for two inches this is no different than cranking factory keys ) is going to make the ride stiffer. That is just the way it is with torsion bars.

Adjusting the torsion keys does not make the ride stiffer. It does not change spring rate at all. The only thing it changes is where the bar "starts from". The "stiff" ride comment usually comes from bars being cranked too high causing the upper control arm to bottom out its down travel over bumps. My truck is cranked 2"s and it rides exactly the same as it did stock.

If you are not changing control arms there is also no need for shock extenders. The front suspension on our trucks is limited by a bumpstop (up) and a droop stop (down). Adjusting the ride height with the torsion bars does not change this range of motion. As a matter of fact, installing shock extenders with a bar crank only will over compress the shocks on up travel.

-Eli

• 2 weeks later...

post-162305-0-71905000-1473009994_thumb.jpgI just installed a CCM Leveling Kit consisting of UCAs, Diff Drop Down Bracket, Keys, and Shock Extenders. The ride only is slightly stiffer, but it is actually better...more truck like. I also swapped the junk car-like OEM Goodyear tires with BFG KO2 in 275/60R20. These are about 1" taller than stock. Was able to do this under warranty due to excessive tire vibration after their multiple balance attempts...including Road Force balancing. I only paid the difference between the MSRP of the Goodyear's vs the BFGs. All vibration issues are now gone. Very happy with the leveling kit, tires, and the ride.

post-162305-0-71905000-1473009994_thumb.jpg

attachicon.gif2016 Denali.JPGI just installed a CCM Leveling Kit consisting of UCAs, Diff Drop Down Bracket, Keys, and Shock Extenders. The ride only is slightly stiffer, but it is actually better...more truck like. I also swapped the junk car-like OEM Goodyear tires with BFG KO2 in 275/60R20. These are about 1" taller than stock. Was able to do this under warranty due to excessive tire vibration after their multiple balance attempts...including Road Force balancing. I only paid the difference between the MSRP of the Goodyear's vs the BFGs. All vibration issues are now gone. Very happy with the leveling kit, tires, and the ride.

What shocks you running?

Archived