GOOSENECK BACK-UP CAMERA IN 3RD BRAKE LIGHT

Short story long but this is my first post and need help.....

I just bought a 2015 2500HD w/ goose-neck in the bed. My truck is equipped with the backup camera on the tailgate. I am wanting the camera that integrates into the 3rd brake light that shows the goose-neck hitch while you back up. I know it can be done because my mother-in-laws Dodge mega-cab has it integrated into her backup camera and she also has the option to switch between which camera she wants to see from. I really don't want to hear that its only available on Dodge trucks, and would really prefer not to mount one of those wireless ones in the back window and another screen because it looks trashy. If anyone can help with info on this it would be greatly appreciated. If no one can help out I will try to take picture of my mother-in-laws setup to show what it does and looks like.

Thanks

Brad

I have this system installed in my truck, too forever for the dealer to get it, apparently was the first one in the midwest, took them over a day to install it even though acording to book it's a 2.5 hour install.

​The kit will come with the two mirror cameras and the wireless one for the trailer.

​You can order a second wireless camera (they call it a livestock camera) or go with the 3rd brake light camera but not both.

​I am still waiting on the 3rd brake light camera as my dealer has been having a difficulty getting that as well, keep saying it's delayed.

​Couple of issue that I am not super fond of and wish there was a fix for them;

​1) The "reverse" triggered camera can be either the tailgate factory camera or the wireless camera on the trailer, this is nice until you find that you cant change this easily, it's a dip switch on the controller box which gets installed inside of your dash and not easily accessible. With everything they did, how hard would it have been to have the trigger be set to if you have the truck in trailer mode or not and if the truck doesnt get a signal from the wireless camera it should revert to the tailgate camera.

2) Works great during the day but at night there is terrible glare on the cameras, they should have used a coated lense to minimize this effect. I have a feeling that these are actually very cheap camera, kinda makes you wonder where all the money went into this product.

3) From the dash you can choose which camera you want to view, your choices are fixed and can not be changed;
​-Left Mirror
-Right Mirror
​-Left and Right Mirror
-Other Camera (3rd brake light or livestock camera)
​-Trailer Camera

-3 View Mode, Left and Right Mirror on top and the Trailer on the bottom.

4) The auto display switch from the left and right camera's based on your turn signal is nice, and you can shut off this fuction on the display.

5) Sorry to say, I absolutly love my GMC Denali 3500, but they are behind on this tech, this is made by a company called EchoMaster who make the products for a lot of retrofits, oem's and builders. However both these cameras and this display used in the GM trucks is way too far behind in terms of both refresh rate and quality, these are low res cameras, where is the high def at this price range. Both Ram and Ford have a much higher quality cameras. Still not enough to make me switch but never the less disappointing.

Thanks enmity02,

I appreciate the info and the feedback on the quality and features of this. I really want to get the 3rd brake light alone, I wonder if there is a cheap option (HA) for just the 3rd brake light camera and not the entire setup.... hmmmm.... Ill keep looking for a company with an aftermarket option for this.

Thanks,

Brad

• 3 weeks later...

I was under the impression that a similar system to this was going to be an option on the 2017 HD - yet I don't see anything about it on the builder site. I agree that Ford and Ram are way ahead of the curve in the camera tech - the 17 F250/350 has seven cameras - std.

I could probably do without the mirror cams but a brake light cam would be nice.

I do know that some companies that make the camera chips for cell phones are now making cameras for vehicles so maybe there are some higher quality stuff coming - we can hope

• 9 months later...

I know that this post is almost a year old but here are a couple of links to third brake light cameras that might work. I am trying to determine if my assumptions are correct as the details are somewhat sketchy as if they will be plug and play to the MyLink system without additional equipment.

http://echomaster.com/catalog/vehicle-specific-cameras/chmsl-camera-for-silverado-and-sierra-2016-2017

https://camera-source.com/automotive-cams/gm-oe-fit/gm-intellilink-plug-play-universal-third-brake-light-camera-system-1750.html

Hope this helps.

• 8 months later...
On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 7:02 PM, grandpalarry777 said:

I know that this post is almost a year old but here are a couple of links to third brake light cameras that might work. I am trying to determine if my assumptions are correct as the details are somewhat sketchy as if they will be plug and play to the MyLink system without additional equipment.

http://echomaster.com/catalog/vehicle-specific-cameras/chmsl-camera-for-silverado-and-sierra-2016-2017

https://camera-source.com/automotive-cams/gm-oe-fit/gm-intellilink-plug-play-universal-third-brake-light-camera-system-1750.html

Hope this helps.

Can you get the 3rd brake light camera for a 2012 Silverado 3500?

I installed this echo  camera when I got my truck two years ago and still works good. It’s not cosmetic professional but was only about 140 dollars. I’d like the gm one in the brake light system but they are proud of them for the whole system that includes the camaras  in the side mirrors. When I get a newer truck the camera system will be a must have for me.

On 4/3/2018 at 3:08 PM, Xspower4522 said:

Can you get the 3rd brake light camera for a 2012 Silverado 3500?

Go to echos website they have some options for your year truck .

Archived