2016 tow mirror cap swap

Has anybody changed thier black tow mirror caps to the chrome? I ordered / recieved the chrome caps from the dealer but I have no idea how to change them as there are no directions.

• 2 weeks later...

There are a few videos on youtube. You basically have to take the entire mirror apart to get to the clips for the mirror caps. Its a lot more work then the regular GM mirrors.

So with the new black tow mirrors on say a 2016 you have to take the mirror off the door or no..?

Some of the fords you just get behind it with a thin flat head and pop up the clip and pull them off.

So your saying you have to disassemble the mirror .? .? I can't find a video that shows.

• 2 months later...

I pulled my caps off of my 2016 yesterday to paint them.

Pull the bottom smaller mirror piece out (takes some force and you feel as though you're breaking it).

Then push the bigger glass piece upwards until you hear a click, and slides out.

There are four screws in each corner ( I think it was a T-15).

Then one more screw in the center of the frame holding the black frame on there.

Lastly there are 4 more screws tucked into the circular piece that the bigger mirror clipped into. Remove all four of those as well.

Once all that is done, the mirror caps are held on just by a few little clips that easily pop out.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived