Black paint issue on 2016 Z71

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First thing I would do is go to a private body shop and have them take a densitometer reading of the door, and other parts of the truck.

See what the data says and go from there.

Not sure the body shop calls it a densitometer, but the printing industry does. Takes a color spectrum reading of a color.

Approach the dealer with objective data.

My $0.05

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

yup, it could have been damaged during delivery and repainted by the dealer

Yep. Found out today it was damaged during delivery and just the door was repainted. Totally doesn't match the rest of the vehicle especially when clean and sunny out. What recourse do i have with this do you guys think? Paint the entire side of the truck?

new cars are not an 'as is' sale you have a right to certain expectations such as the paint matching.

gloss black is one of those colors that is hard to match 100% as you say sometimes the light catches it just right. some colors are better than others but black shows any imperfections by far those worst.

I would take it back and say fix it and be upfront you will be super picky... you have that right.

Absolutely make them fix it

I had a chevy sonic before my truck, and browsing the forums revealed a car that fell of the truck during delivery and was totaled.
The 'stealership' in this case rebuilt the car and sold it as brand new.
Needless to say she had tons and tons of issues with it and they bought it back and gave her a new one.

I hate dealerships that do that stuff.
You're paying for a brand new, perfect truck, you're entitled to one.

Check your State/Local laws on this issue. Depending on local consumer protection laws, the dealer may be more than happy to swap with a new one.

When in MD, law was that any repair damage on a new vehicle must be disclosed in writing to the prospective buyer otherwise significant $10K+ fines to the dealer and grounds for damage recovery by the buyer. Saw paint mismatch on my new black '03 Intrepid leftover when taken home and the Sun came out. Returned within one hour and the dealer at first played stupid saying it must have occurred at the distributor. Regardless when I told him I was put wise to this law by a competing dealer and threatened to file a formal complaint with the legal authorities, the dealer electronically unregistered the vehicle and replaced it with a new '04 with hundreds more in options....and this one I went over carefully with a flashlight.

Lacquer respray black will never match the factory baked enamel black in luster under all lighting conditions. No way should you permit a respray of any additional panels to match the finish. I would research the laws and go for a replacement vehicle.

I looked into it and as long as the repair is under $1500 then they don't have to inform the buyer of the damage. Unreal... Their has to be a way to match this better.... Black cars get in accidents and are able to get painted.... I will try to upload pics, but forum says they are too large to upload....

Archived