Question for all the Mothers and Fathers

Mr_454ss

So my Wife and I are expecting out first child in February. It's going to be a boy! Any advice on car seats strollers etc. what will make travel the easiest with a infant/baby/child??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations! Any car seat you use, because of UV, has to be new. The lifetime expectancy is about 5 years. From the first time you leave the hospital always use the car seat, no exceptions! He needs to know that's where he sits, and if you give in(they learn fast at a real young age) it will be nothing but an up hill battle!

When you put the seat in if you have any doubt drive, (or better yet, have your wife drive!) to a police or fire station and have them check it out. Those guys really know to value of car seats.

A lot of the people where I live come from a culture that doesn't believe in the value of car seats, so every year there are some incidents where children fall out of a car in accidents. It just makes me ill when I hear that.

Mike

Chicco key fit 30 is a great seat. You can get a stroller, car seat and base as a set. Saves a lot of money. We got this and an extra base for my vehicle.

Chicco is a quality seat.

In my state they have certified seat installers and they hold events or you can set up an appointment to visit a police station to have yours checked. This is a good way to confirm yours is right and learn the specifics for your seat set up.

Here is the set...

http://t.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=80055846&cp=2255957.2273447.41378616.11377214&parentPage=family

Dude, the products and (some of) the technology has changed since I had to ask this question. I took my youngest to college this weekend, four hours away, and I still feel like I've been kicked in the gut.

Get the best brand/most populated/expensive car seat you can afford. Over time, you'll be able to afford nicer and nicer everything. And love that kid. And one day take 'em to the college they want to go to.

In February, it's not about you anymore. And it's awesome. Congratulations. Do it right.

Congratulations!

I don't have children but if I were in the market for a car seat, I'd go with whatever Consumers Reports recommends. Worth a subscription for a young family, IMO.

http://www.consumerreports.org/convertible-car-seats/5-top-rated-convertible-car-seats/

I just went through all this last year. We also went with a Chicco travel system. I believe we got the bravo. In my eyes, getting a system is a good way to go as you'll get the various components you need and save a bit on price.

The best day is getting rid of those heavy clunky car seats and going to booster seats. Its even better when they can belt themselves. My Daughter is close.

My best advice is to go to babies r us / target / etc and have a look and try out the displays. I hated the umbrella strollers when they got older because the damn handles are to short and I had to hunch over. I always had my wife push them.

From what I recall of the days when my siblings used that stuff, Graco makes good stuff. Try to get one of those convertible deals, may lessen the blow. Definitely spend some coin on a good stroller. You do that and you won't have to buy one until kid 4 or so...

The new Britax with clicktight looks FANTASTIC. If my kids weren't nearly booster size I'd get them.

First of all, it looks to be the fastest to install. Second, it looks to be the easiest to install. Third, you can use it longer because it uses the car belts to hold it in, which is safe over 70 lbs combined weight unlike LATCH.

Don't know whats out there today as my triplet boys are getting ready to turn 18...wow time fly's. Be sure to place towels around the seat and under it if possible because once he starts holding the bottle he'll toss it and it will make your seats nasty. Also never let your wife drive on trips unless it's nap time and feedings are done. It's work back there at least it was for our boys.

Good luck and enjoy every second of the journey!

Definitely get one that can be removed, leaving the base in the car...we had a Graco and bought a base for each car, made life much nicer. Simply unsnap the car seat from the base and carry it wherever.

The main point is don't skimp...also check local laws, they just passed a law in PA requiring birth to 2YOs to be in rear facing seats (my daughter would have been kissing her knees if that was law when she was a toddler...).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Definitely get one that can be removed, leaving the base in the car...we had a Graco and bought a base for each car, made life much nicer. Simply unsnap the car seat from the base and carry it wherever.

The main point is don't skimp...also check local laws, they just passed a law in PA requiring birth to 2YOs to be in rear facing seats (my daughter would have been kissing her knees if that was law when she was a toddler...).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

That's silly my son wouldn't have fit backwards at 2. It's mandated here until they are 8 they ride in the back seat in a booster seat. If he grows at the rate he is he won't fit his head will hit the roof. He is a man child

Ryan

Archived