Question for all the Mothers and Fathers

Mr_454ss

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats! Just make sure you play with and install the car seat and all the gadgets BEFORE the baby comes. Last thing you want to do is be trying to figure out how to install a car seat while the wife, baby, and nurse wheeling them out of the hospital stare at you. I am speaking from experience and have seen it myself. It's not any fun being that guy.

Totally liked the multi piece units with the base, seat that click onto the stroller. We had a Graco that lasted until he grew out of it. When you put whatever seat in you get, you'll need to climb into the vehicle to put your weight in it when you belt/anchor it in. You have to really force it down to make sure it works correctly. If you don't install it right, there is no sense putting your child in it. Any fireman or policeman will be happy to check it for you.

Congratulations and you'll soon learn why older people drive slower. lol. Will be taking our son for a learners permit this year. Time flies so enjoy it and soak it in.

You've got a lot of car seat advice but mine is for when you get home, take night duty! Let mom sleep at night if she can so she can get good rest (makes you life better) spend time with them when they are small, yes it is bad to get up at night and sit with them but that is one thing I did with my last two kids and we now have a special bond that sometimes makes mom mad but she will get over it. Talk to them like an adult when they are small and they will learn from it and get to know your voice so when or if you go to get them even at 10 or 12 weeks old they hear you talking and they will light up like a light bulb!! My wife fought about this for 3 months on my oldest one about me doing it and by the time I got started doing it with him when my daughter came along the wife did not even ask me if I was going to do it she knew I would.

:jester:

Most hospitals won't let you leave without a current and correctly installed car seat...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

This. They have staff dedicated to it. I called them Car Seat Nazi. They are even worse than the soup nazi. They flipped because we had the extra pad, that CAME WITH THE CARSEAT for premies, installed. Sorry, but that isn't going to hurt your kid or cause a problem in a wreck. It's not different than an extra shirt on the kid!

congrats!!!!

i know when my wife and i left the hospital for both our kids (age 1 and 3 now) they had to be in the car seat (they wouldn't let us walk out carrying the baby)

i can't remember what car seat my wife got for when they were new born (she borrowed it from friends of ours) but i know if was compatible with the stroller (so you pop it out of the car and plunk it on the stroller and away you go!)

as others have mentioned - get the most expensive one you can afford

for a stroller we're still using the one we got for our daughter who is now 3. it's a valco stroller. i think it's this one.... http://shop.valcobaby.com/p/single-tri-mode-ex-se-n6155?pp=8

as others have mentioned... prepare for your life to be turned up-side-down... but in a totally amazingly good way.

I'm under 40yrs old and we've got six kids and yes, getting one with multiple bases that can be left in the car is best as far as I am concerned. We've got two vehicles and it works out best to just leave the bases in the truck or car. As far as a particular car seat goes, I have no idea because all of ours were given to us by family and friends.

just saw this - just in case you were considering a 'step n go stroller'.....

http://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-alert-rappel-avis/hc-sc/2016/59912r-eng.php

Hazard identified

The stroller tray folding mechanism can partially disengage on one side when used with an infant car seat attached to the stroller, posing a fall hazard.

Health Canada has not received any reports of consumer incidents or injuries related to the use of this product in Canada.

In Canada, Dorel Juvenile Canada received eight consumer reports of the tray disengaging with no injuries. In the United States, Dorel Juvenile has received 30 reports of the front stroller tray that supports the infant car seat disengaging on one side. No injuries have been reported.

Number sold

Approximately 5,787 units of the recalled stroller were sold in retail stores across Canada, and approximately 20,000 units were sold in the United States.

Time period sold

The recalled strollers were sold from May 2015 to June 2016 in Canada and the United States.

looks like the recall is for canada and the u.s.

We have the multiple bases so we can just snap the car seat in each time. I have one in my truck and my wife has one in her car. I can't recall the brand but make sure you buy new. They are always changing the design and certifications on them to make them safer. Also another good investment would be a bob stroller for running, walking and other places. It is expensive but well worth the money.

We just had a little one this past October, we ended up getting a travel system from Graco, their click-connect or whatever it is. We bought 2 bases as well so one can stay in the wife's car and one in my truck, we tried making it with just one base but that only lasted for a few months.

It's been mentioned before, but install that thing BEFORE you take you wife to the hospital!! After spending 48 hours in the hospital with virtually no sleep, I was in no condition to figure out how to install the base! The first try in the parking lot I got it backwards, so I had to fix it at the curbside with the nurse watching!

I eventually figured it out, but after getting home and getting some real rest I realized it wasn't nearly as snug as it should be. Chicco and Graco and Britax all make good units that you should be able to find for between $250-400.

There's more expensive units available as well, I don't know if they offer any more safety protection but they may be lighter or fold up a little smaller, as those Chicco / Graco strollers take up a ton of room in the back even when they're folded!!

• 2 weeks later...

We bought many car seats before we loved the Diono Radian RXT.

Its perfect in every way. FAA approved (we had no issues installing it on airplanes) and then we use it when we rent a car (visit my parents in Florida during the winter).

When it's on sale, its great!

We have given away the car seat and stroller from our first son but close friends gifted us an awesome three piece set for our second son back in February. It's a normal infant car seat with a base accompanied by two strollers, one is super light and compact that we use 99% of the time, and the other is for when he gets older. The second one barely fits in the Versa's trunk and is considerably heavier with bigger wheels and more storage space.

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk

I have one grandson and another is on its way in November. I have/had 2015 1500 DC. It wasn't cutting it with the one car seat. With two it wasn't going to happen. I had to upgrade to a CC. Grandma is now a happy lady with a new truck that can hold both of the little grandbabies.

To the OP. Enjoy your kids. They grow up too fast. Do things with them even when they are really young. We took ours camping at a very young age. We used an inflatable raft as their crib when we tent camped. I have seen couples backpack with an infant. If you start out young, then they don't know any different, in fact they will expect it and be disappointed if you stop. My youngest (as a teen) kept telling me that he HATED camping, and didn't want to go. He had my mom convinced. Until I pointed out that as we were packing the trailer for a trip, he was whistling and humming.

Archived