My thoughts about the gas powertrain remaining unchanged

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having driven an 8.1, there's no way I'd want a 454. An updated 8.1, even at a slightly lower displacement, would be really nice.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The 8.1 is 496 cubic inches; I'm not sure a smaller engine would be worth the tooling.

My 04 6.0 with 4:10 gears was rated at 300/360. It felt snappy and pulled my 10,000 5th wheel pretty good. At least good enough for flatland towing. My new 2015 6.0 rated at 360/380 feels way stronger than the 04. I am sure it is a combo of the added power and the 6 speed trans but it just plain pulls harder as well as the chassis handles the weight much better. The 6.0 Lq4 was probably the best engine I ever had, The L96 is also a proven reliable work horse and I am glad they still have it. Ya a little more power would be nice but is sure gets the job done with minimal maintenance. Like others have said already, by the time to you rework the 6.2 and de tune it for severe duty it probably wouldn't make a whole lot more power than the 6.0. I also have a tuned up LS2 6.0 in a Pontiac that makes over 500HP but all the power comes on hard around 4000 rpms and screams to redline at 6800. This would not make a good truck motor. If they are going to come to the plate with a new gasser they will need some bigger cubic inches to make the torque were it's usable.

The 8.1 is 496 cubic inches; I'm not sure a smaller engine would be worth the tooling.

Well, 454 is 7.4L, nice fit. And while there is a mantra that lives... "There is no replacement for displacement", how one gets what they need out of a liter of displacement is really what counts. The things that have been done with the 454 is legend. Can't really say that about the 8.1, but to be fair, it had a very short run compared to the 454.

I would hope that GM would simply drop the 6.2l into the frame rails.

I'm not sure what the issue would be, other than the aluminum block and possible longevity issues that I'm not seeing.

I have towed our 6k boat with both my truck, and my wifes Yukon Denali.

I prefer my truck because it is much more stable and has more braking power, but my wife's Denali will tow circles around my 6.0l. Literally circles. I just don't like the mushy feel of the Yukon towing at speed.

Never had experience with the 8.1, but sure loved my '96 7.4l torque was awesome and started down low. I agree a 21st century version with the 6 speed behind it would be killer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would hope that GM would simply drop the 6.2l into the frame rails.

I'm not sure what the issue would be, other than the aluminum block and possible longevity issues that I'm not seeing.

I have towed our 6k boat with both my truck, and my wifes Yukon Denali.

I prefer my truck because it is much more stable and has more braking power, but my wife's Denali will tow circles around my 6.0l. Literally circles. I just don't like the mushy feel of the Yukon towing at speed.

The 6.2 requires premium fuel which is one big negative.

The other is that the 6.2 would not pass GM's durability standards for an HD truck, like the 6.0 has.

GM doesn't want that warranty headache.

The other is that the 6.2 would not pass GM's durability standards for an HD truck, like the 6.0 has.

I did realize the 6.2 still requires premium, cross that off the list.

One nice thing about the 6.0 - no afm.

I did realize the 6.2 still requires premium, cross that off the list.

One nice thing about the 6.0 - no afm.

For everyone who is comparing the performance of a 1500 to a 2500, you do know the 2500 weighs about 1,000 pounds more...

Absolutely, but my point is that a 1500 shouldn't be able to that easily out pull a 2500...a lot of these 1500s have higher towing capacity with smaller engines, lighter drivetrains, better gearing options, etc...

Personally, I have no real issue with the 6.0l, but it needs two gear choices: 4.10 as a base and 4.56 as an option. Forget 3.73s...that was a bad decision. The double OD six speed would easily support 4.56s.

And not for nothing, but even equal weight my dad's truck would smoke my truck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Higher towing capacity in what way? My 2015 2500 6.0L has a 13,000 towing capacity with a GVWR of 20,500. Even a 1500 6.2L with max trailering package can't approach those numbers. Sure, maybe a 1500 can get off the line a little quicker than a 2500, but hell, it can get off the line quicker than my commercial semi truck, but that semi can haul the equivalent of 7 or 8 1500's, and do it all day long over any kind of highway terrain. It isn't how fast you can do something, it is how well you can do something. And it also has something to do with where you are doing it and what you are doing. I would much rather pull a 1000 gallon fuel wagon thru rough off road with a 2500 than a 1500, even though both can "technically" do the job. It seems almost ludicrous on its face to even compare what a 1500 can do vs a 2500. They are different classes of pickups. 1500 is a class 1, 2500 is a class 2, 3500 is a class 3, my semi truck is a class 8. There are good reasons they have these differentiations.

Higher towing capacity in what way? My 2015 2500 6.0L has a 13,000 towing capacity with a GVWR of 20,500. Even a 1500 6.2L with max trailering package can't approach those numbers. Sure, maybe a 1500 can get off the line a little quicker than a 2500, but hell, it can get off the line quicker than my commercial semi truck, but that semi can haul the equivalent of 7 or 8 1500's, and do it all day long over any kind of highway terrain. It isn't how fast you can do something, it is how well you can do something. And it also has something to do with where you are doing it and what you are doing. I would much rather pull a 1000 gallon fuel wagon thru rough off road with a 2500 than a 1500, even though both can "technically" do the job. It seems almost ludicrous on its face to even compare what a 1500 can do vs a 2500. They are different classes of pickups. 1500 is a class 1, 2500 is a class 2, 3500 is a class 3, my semi truck is a class 8. There are good reasons they have these differentiations.

Keep in mind that 2012 2500hds had 3.73s...and a 9400# max trailer weight...the 1500s are in the 10k range...

I've had known 6500 pounds behind my truck, it would be struggling badly to drag that through any sort of hills. I definitely would not feel up to task to tow anything out west in the mountains.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Just because a 1500 can tow 10K does mean it is a good idea. Hell 10K on 2500 is a lot of weight. I for one would not want to tow that much with a 1500 chassis. The frame, suspension and brakes, are they really up to the task for safety and longevity? This is one reason the 2500 / 3500 chassis is completely different and weighs 1000+ lbs more. In the HD class they are built to do it day in and day out. The 1500 class not so much,I think you would just tear the truck up if you towed heavy all the time. As far as the aluminum motor vs. cast iron, There is a reason engine builders that build high horse turbo and SC cars are using the old LQ4 and LQ9 blocks. They are just plain tough as nails.

I also agree 3.73 gears in an HD are just a bad choice. These trucks are just to heavy and needs the extra gearing of the 4:10. (or lower)

Archived