Bargain week

Not a horrible spool gun weld. Someone slipped and got slag EVERYWHERE, so I spent the morning grinding it off and polishing the tube as best as I could. I'll roll with it...

20170218_203809_zpscnn8n9xd.jpg

20170218_203817_zpstcrmixbn.jpg

Got my gauges mounted and mostly functional. Still have to connect the illumination wires. Didn't get a lot of pics of the process. It just went soooooo fast with my gauge wires already run through the accelerator pedal wiring grommet. Literally took 2 minutes to get the wires up through the dash to the gauge pod. Anyway, heres how awesome a mustang gauge pod looks mounted in a Suburban.

20170218_190505_zps3nnptvre.jpg

Super tidy firewall pass through.

20170218_174845_zpsc7mcfbc6.jpg

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouldn't you know it? One of the 6 dollar apiece LED bulbs I got for the gauges was bad out of the box. Found out when I hooked up the illumination wires today. I put some 194's in for now. We'll see how they look when the sun goes down. Didn't want to spen 12 bucks on a 2 pack of LED bulbs when I only needed one. At least it was not a wiring problem. Takes about 3 minutes to change the bulbs now. Waaaaay easier than the pillar pod.

Probably just me, but does the white face gauges bother you at night? I was thinking that black face with white numbers would not only match the cluster, but not be as distracting at night. My next thought was to tint the gauge face to cut down on the night glare if it was an issue. 20 years ago it would not have bothered me, but now that I need reading glasses, my night vision is more sensitive to that kind of distraction.

They're not too bad actually. Way better than the digital wideband gauge on the pillar pod at any rate. My phone amplifies the light quite a bit. I do believe that the LED's I had originally planned for the gauges may have been excessively bright though. At $425 for those gauges, I don't think I will be replacing them soon. I think the white faces scream Autometer. The stepper motor boost gauge is dead silent and the action is smooth as silk, if I hadn't mentioned it already. The stepper motor in the wideband gauge sounds like a worn blendoor actuator, but its almost imperceptible with background noise, i.e. window down, radio, exhaust, etc. I just wish I knew why the boost gauge is silent, and the wideband is not.

So I was thinking I should change my oil while installing the supercharger this coming Friday, also my oil life monitor is down to 21%. I think I should change oil filter brands after this happened.

20170222_111632_zpsajzw0n0p.jpg

20170222_105910_zpsryk4dwvu.jpg

Really? Not only would the filter spin on elliptically, but there would be uneven gasket crush, as the threaded part is not parallel to the gasket. After the last filter leaking at the crimp, then this, I feel much less strongly about using AC Delco oil filters on my truck. What do you guys and gals use?

I use Mobil 1 filters. They had the best ratings of all the filters a couple of years ago. Since you like "budget" stuff, Napa gold or Wix would be a good second choice.

I never skimp on things like oil and filters and spark plugs, etc. I always use Valvoline Max Life oil (never had a car with less than 75,000 miles on it), AC Delco spark plugs, and AC Delco oil filters until today. I've never not had a GM vehicle either lol. 87 S-10, 92 S-10, 92 Oldsmobile 88, 98 Silverado, 95 Oldsmobile Aurora, and my current beast. I like to get universal ignition wires so I can route them neatly myself. Obviously tidy ignition wires is not a problem on a GenIII V8. Huge ocd issue on the Aurora though. Anyway, I'm debating on getting 10w-30 to put in when I install the supercharger Friday night. I figure the supercharger itself will put a bit of heat into the oil, being gear driven and having the 3.6:1 step up ratio.

After driving around for several days, I am noticing that my pod is off center to the right a little bit. Unfortunately, due to a reinforcement on the underside of my dash pad, I cannot easily move the mounting bracket over. Oh well, I'll just have to keep my eye open for another dash pad in decent condition. Found 6 of them at my nearest upullit. Most of them had the wrong size hole for the ambient light sensor, broken tabs for the clips at the base of the windshield, had split around the screw holes from over tightening, etc.

Archived