2017 L5P Duramax horsepower/torque? Here's our guess�!

Zane

duramax.jpg

Zane Merva

Executive Editor, GM-Trucks.com

8/18/2016

What's the biggest unknown detail that enthusiasts what to know about GM's 2017 model year. Only two numbers. Horsepower and torque. Specifically, how much of each will the new L5P Duramax Diesel serve up.

2017_Sierra.jpg

We've been slowly learning about the 2017 Silverado and 2017 Sierra this week. We know what the new colors are and how the option packages will be structured. We know the RPO codes and we know that there's a new and improved Duramax Diesel engine on the way. So, while GM is playing mum with the official numbers, we're going to read between the lines. Allison transmission improvements are also expected (maybe more gears?) but we're going to focus on the Duramax right now.

Where we are today

The current 2016 Duramax is currently rated at 397 horsepower and 765 lb-ft of torque. That's not insignificant or something to scoff at... but the truth is Chevy's and GMC's competitors have been stepping up their game. It’s worth to remember, however, we’ve come a long way since 2001 when the Duramax came to life at only 235-horsepower and 500 ft-lbs of torque. 300-horsepower and 520 lb-ft of torque.

2017 Ford PowerStroke and RAM Cummins

Ford has an all new PowerStroke Diesel for the coming model year. It's a doozy. Rated at 440-horsepower and 925 lb-ft of torque, Ford has topped the Duramax's numbers by large margin. Specifically, 43 horsepower and 160 lb-ft of torque. Both are big numbers when you're towing 15,000 lbs.

superduty_2017.JPG

Ram is also bringing big specs to the table. Their 2016 Cummins Diesel is producing 385-horsepower and 900 lb-ft of torque. It's still under Ford's PowerStroke but better than the 2016 Duramax. Like General Motors, Chrysler is keeping their 2017 numbers under wraps as of today. We expect an increase to top or match Ford's PowerStroke numbers, because Ram's strategy is big numbers on spec sheets.

GM's 2017 Duramax

What can we expect from the new Duramax taking the current numbers into consideration? The first thing we need to think about is that the consumer HD pickup segment is on a race to 1,000 lb-ft of torque. How close the Duramax comes to this magic number is the biggest unknown but General Motors would love to be the first at that number.

Second, it’s important to remember that GM historically takes every opportunity to best Ford on paper, even if only by a small number. Also, GM, as a company, also likes to give itself room to grow with vehicle performance specs while underrating true output. Taking all of that into mind, my personal thoughts and 16 years of experience tell me we'll see the all new Duramax power numbers lay out as follows.

Our (100% Unconfirmed) Prediction

2017 6.6L Duramax Engine

• ~450 -Horsepower
  • ~950 lb-ft of Torque

What do you think? Would this be enough? Should GM go for 1,000 ft-lb of torque? Let your comments be known below.

2017_Sierra.jpg

duramax.jpg

superduty_2017.JPG

2017_Sierra.jpg

duramax.jpg

superduty_2017.JPG

2017_Sierra.jpg

duramax.jpg

superduty_2017.JPG

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I already spouted off on this but it was about what your prediction is! I remember when the first Duramax hit the scene! People were like GM built another Diesel? Just like the early 80's again? Well, the consumers were wrong and it took sometime but before you knew it everybody was like this thing is the bomb!

I can't wait to see this beast!

I agree with the numbers...

maybe a little more on the horsepower side .. they still use all steel you know.

staying in with similar numbers is not the goal, staying similar in power to the road is.

there is examples of this along the way..

As long as they can keep the reliability, that is the main concern. I talk to all new truck owners and, of course, when brand new everyone loves their truck. I'm a big fan of the Rams and after talking to a couple of friends who have them (2500's) one just had the transmission replaced at 45K and another who actually hauls stuff has replaced the coils in the rear twice.

I'm looking forward to this truck and am impressed with the new Ford as well. Competition is good for us consumers.

To me, they're just numbers, numbers at a point on a curve. They're good for spouting off and bragging rights down at the watering hole I guess. I tow a 14,000# 5th wheel with half that much torque and I do quite well. Of more importance to me additionally is where this torque comes in at and how wide and flat the curve is. Another downside to the HP and Tq race is cost of the vehicles, their running costs and upkeep. Which brings up the question, how many people really, truly need those numbers? I mean really?

I'm like some others here who would love a modern truck but really don't need 1000 lb/ft of torque. Something with about half that, or a smidge more, would be just right, should cost less to buy and be more frugal. Anyone?

I would love to trade up to a diesel to pull my camper with but im just too scared of the long term reliability thing. Seems every diesel put out since 2008 has had big time issues with the def and emissions junk. The best ones to get for longevity seem to be the 2006-2007 duramax. Why cant they get that kind of long term reliability out of these new ones ? I dont want to have to buy a brand new truck and then have to "delete" all kinds of stuff just so its reliable. Shouldnt be that way. Should be reliable right off the lot.

I could care less about more horsepower and torque. I pull up to 13,500 and my 2011 truck has zero problems even with steep grades. What I would like is better fuel economy. Over the past 4 years the MPG has averaged at 15 and when towing it is between 10 MPG and 13 MPG depending upon the terrain and presence of a head wind.

I drove a friend's Ford truck and it had a smoother ride, less wind noise at freeway speeds and the dash had a much better layout with more information available at a glance without having to scroll through a tiny display. I also liked being able to see the 4WD status indicator which is not hidden behind the transmission shift lever as it is on my Duramax.

A more intelligent placement of the DEF fuel tank would be nice. Having it with a small filler opening at the very rear of the engine compartment was definitely a stupid approach. Locking gas cap lid is also something that I have on my cars and they cost a lot less than my truck. For a 2011 truck selling for about double the price of a sedan the Duramax is a pretty crude truck in terms of the cab.

Archived