2015 Silverado Rear End Clunking Noise

Hear a clunking noise on my 15 DC 4wd. When in reverse or going over bump, even at slow takeoff. 9k miles on truck not sure what it could be? Any bullitens out?

Does this happen when you're going straight or turning? Many posts on here regarding rear end popping/clunking/creaking. Mine seems to pop when turning while reversing into a parking space or traveling down a rough dirt road. Mostly noticeable under 5 mph.

Also clunks when shaking the bed laterally. Brought it to the dealership once and they claimed "normal operating noise." Torqued the leaf spring bolts which didn't fix anything.

I plan on taking it to another dealership soon, just haven't had the time. Mine's a '15 DC Sierra with 8k miles.

I've heard everything from greasing the leaf springs, torquing the U-bolts, and replacing the C-clips in the axles. No cure-all solution that I know of though.

Torque the u-bolt nuts to 79 ft lbs. Seems like just about everybody with one of these K2 1500 (including me) had the clunking noise. TQed mine a couple years ago or whenever I read about them being loose and haven't had a clunk since TQing them. By the way, everybody says they have to do at least a full turn.

• 1 month later...

Did you guys by chance recently get your trucks undercoated? I just did the same with my 2016 gmc and took it into the dealership. The manager came out who was a real old school guy and told me it was the undercoating which causes the leaf springs to slip. They were nice enough to re grease them and re-torqued them and the clunk went away.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Did you guys by chance recently get your trucks undercoated? I just did the same with my 2016 gmc and took it into the dealership. The manager came out who was a real old school guy and told me it was the undercoating which causes the leaf springs to slip. They were nice enough to re grease them and re-torqued them and the clunk went away.

Hope this helps.

I just got mine undercoated and it is now clunking. thanks for the tips.

• 9 months later...

Push the ass end side to side over the tires...if it goes clunk clunk clunk, your rear end bearings are shot. They rebuilt mine, still out of spec, replaced rear end, no issues in 20k.

I'm having this exact problem on my truck. Jacked my truck up by the frame and used a large pry bar under the tire as if I was checking for a bad ball joint. There seems to be a little up and down play in the bearing. Both sides are the same. 32000 miles. Does anyone know if this is definitely bad bearings, or is this normal? Havnt heard the clunking until recently. thanks for any info.

• 2 years later...