Grumpy Bears 2015 Silverado 2WD

Grumpy Bear

An initial look into the effect of lubrication temperatures on fuel efficiency. First pass looks promising. Working on procedure. This chart is three consecutive runs over the same 11.1 mile course clearing the fuel 'current trip' monitor each time. (Scan Gauge II)

​Almost everyone knows the effect exist but some doubt the magnitude. At the end of the first pass the thermostat opened with a peak temp at 217 F. At the end of the third pass the transmission had just made it to operating temperature. 33.3 miles. I ran out of time this day and would have liked to run a fourth leg at stable temperature.

​In the winter I have logged distances to 100 miles before the transmission is up to temperature. If the majority of your driving is under 30 miles between cold starts getting good efficiency is going to be a real challenge.

​Fuel measured in liters, recorded in mpl and converted to mpg. Percent increase is above the initial pass. Temperatures in F.

post-161433-0-73543600-1494440370_thumb.png

• Like 1

Orange line is mileage mile over mile. I logged the fuel used each mile for 35 miles. The mile was divided by the fuel used to obtain the fuel economy in liters per mile. Why liters? Precision. The Scan Gauge II will show for the first ten liters 0.01 liters resolution or .00264 gallons. Set to gallons the resolution is only 1/10 of a gallon.

The red line is the running average of that data. The real thing to note here is that the orange is significantly above the red the entire test cycle, and is still on the rise itself; meaning the running average was still on the rise at test end.

Blue is water temperature ending shortly after the thermostat opened. Ten miles.

Green is the oil temperature. Lined out at 23 miles.

Transmission temperature log starts at mile 12 and lines out at 33 miles. It’s starting temperature was 56 F as were the other temperatures, water, oil and air. I only have four channels so I couldn’t start recording the transmission until I was done with the water temperature.

Let’s go back to the orange line. That undulation is ever hill, wind speed and direction shift. Every traffic stop or speed limit change. I ran on cruise control at 50 mph as much as the law and prudence would allow. This would be the equivalent of the ‘instant mileage’ meter in your truck if so equipped.

All temperature traces in this graph have a scaling factor of 10.

So what does it say? It says that the amount of fuel used cutting through cold oil is 2.13 X or 213% more than warmed up. There isn’t much temperature induced fuel wasting with direct injection motors. There was but a 19% reduction by the time the thermostat had opened.

The obverse? A fully warmed system uses only 47% of the fuel a cold drive line system does. It says the motor isn’t warm when the water temperature stabilizes. It says that even the fairly thin transmission fluid presents significant resistance to motor until fully warmed up. Wheel bearing, differential and universal joints are long in warming.

It says this is at 56F. Imagine it at from a starting point of say 0 F, with a load pulling or hauling. In the winter I have logged heat up times of 20 miles water, 35 miles oil and 100 miles transmission. Winter warm ups from sub freezing temperatures take 3X + longer.

How did this test translate to MPG? 13.51 mpg cold, 28.73 mpg hot.

post-161433-0-90565400-1494559347_thumb.png

Edited by Grumpy Bear

Finally! Got the box corner protectors installed. Chips were fixed the last day above 55 F which was about 30 days ago. Long enough. Getting a 70 F day was another thing.

Isopropanol 91% strength was used for the dewaxing. Black Silicon seal applied and clean up with again, Isopropanol and red shop rags. Use and toss. About six rags total. Getting it off me is another thing. Fully sealed. Another task off the books.

post-161433-0-85508200-1494882664_thumb.jpg

Armor All Tire Shine Spray.

Pump spray. Does it shine a tire. Oh yea. Like the kitchen floor. Any it gets on everything within aerosol distance. Paint, wheel liner, wheels, brakes and floor. Does it last ‘for weeks’. Not for me it didn’t about a day actually before it dulled and flaked. I didn’t spend much and it still ticks me off. Another item added to the list of things that don’t meet the hype of the sales pitch.

What’s new, right?

Ya know what would be new. A product that simply does what it says it will. What a concept, right? Getting your money’s worth.

post-161433-0-40680200-1495001159.jpg

Edited by Grumpy Bear

For this update I’ve removed the control limits to simplify the view. As I now have 39 tanks logged I've also extended the moving average to 12 points. Less volatile than a 6 point. Both averages are on the actual calculated mileage instead of the meter.

post-161433-0-16317500-1495128004_thumb.png

4521 curb weight Silverado 1500, 3770 curb weight 2009 Buick LaCrosse CXL

110.5" wheel base Buick, 119 “ wheelbase Silverado

Weight distribution Buick 58/42 Silverado 58/42 It isn't that light and it isn't that short. Percentages are the same.

​While I would not expect my truck to ride like my lighter and shorter wheelbase Buick, I do expect to keep it under control during day in, day out highway and city street duty without adding energy to the system or driving at a snails pace. It's a safety issue I can't let stand. There is an answer to this.

The best way to explain it, the Buick is designed to pull itself and passengers from point A to point B, The pickup is designed to pull itself and passengers, And the Buick on a trailer with also a 4 wheeler in the bed from point A to point B, thus the suspension has to be more robust, i.e. firmer to handle its designed intent. They could put less robust spring rates under the truck but it could WILL reduce its capability.

Car and Driver tested the 2014 version of the 4.3 Ecotec3 in DCSB trim pounding the quarter to a 16 flat at 87 mph on gas and 15.7 at 89 mph on E-85 making note that the alky performance was in fact quicker than the 07’s 6.2 liter VortecMAX motor and very close to the 2014 LT1’s 15.3 times at 91 mph.

I suppose the main stream may have not noticed that the RCSB 6’6” pickups are about a thousand pounds lighter than the DCSB 5’ Car and Driver tested?

DCSB 5477 lbs. vs the SCSB 4521 lbs.

Yea. That means the 4.3 in the short truck is quicker than the LT1 DCSB. That will frost your pumpkin. Wallace Racing puts it at about 15 flat at 93 mph on gas or 14.75 near 95 mph on alky. That’s a pretty health V6.

Perspective is good. 87 Mustang 5.0 is a f 15 flat car. The 70 Boss 302 14.7. 1968 Plymouth Barracuda 14.7. 67 Camaro SS 15.2. 76 Corvette L48, 16.3. 68 Corvette 327 15.4.

I love my ¾ sized mouse motor.

http://www.zeroto60times.com/

I came from a 2007 CCSB 4.8L V8 to my 2016 SCSB 4.3L V6, and my new truck is noticeably quicker, actually damn surprised at how fast it is, even better the sweet sound the engine makes user hard throttle is nice too. Usually V6s don't sound this good.

• Like 1

I had been looking for a new truck for nearly two years and I was not looking for the right truck as much as I was looking for the right deal. I’d never owned a truck and I’ve had brand loyalty pistol whipped out of me. You see, at 62 I’ve finally become aware that you don’t know what you don’t know and what you don’t’ know can and will hurt you; right in the wallet.

Maybe it’s my age but I think trucks have two doors and are two wheel drive; have manual transmissions and AM pushbutton radios. I get a lather on when I see finely restored 30’s or 40’s prewar half tons that are so vanilla it says Borden’s in the door sill. Studebakers and Internationals are some favorites although I love a good mid 30’s Chevy or Ford. Point is, I like durable and I like reliable and easy to work on and with which in my thinking means keep it simple and keep it up.

That said time has softened my base needs to include air conditioning and cruise control. Roll up windows are fine. I don’t need a theater grade sound system. I have some hearing loss from that in the house. No need for in dash navigation. I like maps and a compass.

Too old and too broke to start a restoration I decided I’d buy as close to new as possible and do my best to keep it from falling apart or rusting out before the payment book coupons were all used up. Besides, have you seen the “ask” for anything worth restoring? More than I paid for this one. Yikes!

I was exploring options from GM, Ford and Dodge and shy as a Coydog when I ran across this 2015 Silverado WT1 Regular cab short bed. I know, the build sheet calls the six foot six a “standard” bed and the eight footer a long bed. It’s part of the experience of aging. Those younger than us at some point decided to redefine “words” for us without our permission but that’s small potatoes. The general lack of overall caring about what one builds is quite another and not so small a deal. Not sure when it happened but at one time engineers built to improve the product. Now it’s the profit margin and the marketing gurus have made an art out of selling the illusion of quality instead of delivering it. You hear the spin on why a factory steel wheel MSRP is twice that of many good aftermarket alloy rims? $245! Really? Maybe someday we will return to pricing “worth” instead of what we think we can “steal”.

So…what that means is…this trucks “build” isn’t going to be centered around “speeding money I don’t have to impress people I don’t know and maybe wouldn’t like anyway” on eye candy they value but who have no vested interest in the end product. Rather it will be to improve safety, reliability, longevity, economy, utility, and if anything is left over…then maybe some old school tastefully done curb appeal. Lord knows there isn’t much to work with.

The previous owner of this very clean (and cheap) 4.3 liter flex fuel V6 six speed automatic Borden’s truck has done me the honor of taking very nice care of it for the year he owned it and the 1300 miles he drove it. The Lund soft roll up is nice and a choice I would have made. He added the Go-Rhino stainless step bars to ease entry and egress for his 80 year plus frame and a Bed-Rug bed mat. We will take it from there then.

​Thanks for dropping in.

Marty

P.S. Yes. I enjoy editorializing (writing). Don't take it personal. Just me being me.

Same basic thing here, I'm 50 and have always owned and liked SCSB 2WD pickups, but because of 4 teenagers, I had a 8 year stint with a 2007 CCSB, now the birds are flying from my nest, it was time to shop for another SCSB.

In Feb 2017 I came across a ad on Facebook, "New 2016 Silverado, $19,995", For that price I was assuming it had a A/C delete, Bed delete and no headlights, (In Oklahoma, A/C is a must)

And so I called, it was a 2016 W/T, With A/C, I was interested, but of course that price leader was already sold, I asked for another like it, But all he had left price wise was a New 2016 SCSB LS, which adds the Chrome Package, Pwr Windows, 7” MyLink Stereo and Keyless Entry, Cash price $20,500 (MSRP was $30,700), So I jumped on that like a Crow on a Cheeto. A coworker asked me to find him that same deal now, (May 2017), But $24,900 W/T, and $25,900 LS is the closest I can find now for brand new trucks.

Anyway, people say, “Why didn’t you get another crew cab ?”, I tell the them days of me using my truck as a Minivan are over, Aside from back doors, Standard cab trucks have the same Suspension, Frame, Cab, Bed, Transmission, Engines (Besides 6.2 option), Payload and Towing as Crew Cabs.

Besides zipping around in a SCSB truck id much more enjoyable than driving a Land Yacht every day.

IMG 0016

• Like 1

Been off line a few weeks. Vaction. Something I haven’t done in years. I did not take the truck. I did take the dog, Rex. Left the wife at home with the cats. Loaded up my 2009 LaCrosse CXL and headed to the kids in Colorado for the middle granddaughters graduation. Two weeks with a dog in the luxury car…no, a puppy…there is a difference brought me to a few conclusions.

I have six children and fourteen grandchildren and my dog. I really like my dog…allot.

I don’t care how well people claim the current crop of light trucks ride and handle I LOVE my Buicks for such trips. That said there are a few fundimental traveling items I was reminded of that are universal to auto/truck travel I thought worth the share.

Four days travel and all but a few hours of that was in the rain. Much of it in hard rain. The kind that leaves standing water on Nebraska Interstates. There is no substitute for a properly cleaned/prep’d and Rain-X treated windshield with good Anco wipers. Downpours that had others slowing to 40 mph I didn’t even have the windshield wipers on for at 70 mph. Semi truck slop would get a wipe or two but on average...didn’t need them. That in itself is a nice to have. What was great was the fact I could see far enough ahead to read brakelamps and deep water areas giving an errie confidence to the situation. I treated all glass, including mirrors.

Eldarado Ledgend, best tire I have ever owned for wet work. Mountion Goat sure of foot and a very plush ride. Not a truck thing but but I felt compeled to share such a great product. You do have other cars, right?

Almost the entire trip I drove 72 mph. 2,000 rpm. That’s two over in Illinois and Iowa and three under in Nebraska and Colorado. Funny thing about folks west of the Missouri River. They just are not in that big a rush. I’m passing more than I’m being passed and those that do pass are not locals as a general rule. Just an oddity worth note. Iowa has the most dense truck traffic of any state I’ve ever traveled and I traveled every state of the lower 48 but Delaware.

87 Octane gas pricing was all over the map. Even from ramp to ramp. In Nebraska you get a choice. Alky or no alky and the ethonal lobby has the locals hood winked. Straght fuel costing 10 to 20% more. Casey’s of all places was the highest priced fuel bar none. That said I bought consectutive tanks and found no alky gas worth 5 to 7% on fuel efficiency. Pretty short test but all Interstate so take it for what it seems worth to you.

Colorado had the only fenced, off leash dog run along the Interstate and provided clean up supplys. Iowa and Nebraska have exersise areas on the fringe of the rest area that are not always dog friendly. Hip deep grass and and glass. Illionois I think hasn’t heard of dogs yet.

Edited by Grumpy Bear

Long drives make me think. More than I should maybe. The Scan Gauge on the Honda’s were pretty much one and done calibrating the fuel usage. Buicks were about two hits to get them squared away. The truck…every day is a wild guess. Driving me nuts. I swapped gauges to no avail thinking perhaps I had a finicky unit. Not so.

Okay, old school. Shake is down full and forget the auto shut off. Even though it works fine on every other car on the lot the vent must be different on the truck. Matters not on a full to the neck fill and so I did, repeatedly until I got fills within 0.01 liters back to back to back. The number is 7.7% gain. Been hit and miss both sides of this number with a huge standard deviation.

Learned something else too. There is 1.6 gallons of room left after auto fill has it’s say. 6% of the tank volume. That’s nuts.

Learned something else on the Colorado trip. Even though digital there is a disconnect between the odometer and the speedometer. Roughly 2% on the Buick. I had calibrated by GPS speed for the miles driven correction. I will revisit this on mile poles in a few days.

Ran it off against the mile markers down I-39 last night and I must have nailed it the first time. Off short about 50 feet in ten miles. Not going to get my cake and eat it too. (500 mile range). Not without a 45 mph ceiling and that is too low even for me.

​Okay so I've been monitoring oil, trans, inlet air and water temperatures. Today was our first 90 F day of the season and we took about a 300 mile trip to Mineral Point Wisconsin. Air temp runs 2 F over ambient on the highway. Water 204 - 207F. Trans 185 - 195 and oil hovers 225 F. All pretty warm by my standards except inlet air. Factory system and K & N drop in filters are doing their job. We need some coolers and a colder themostat however.

Armor All Tire Shine Spray.

Pump spray. Does it shine a tire. Oh yea. Like the kitchen floor. Any it gets on everything within aerosol distance. Paint, wheel liner, wheels, brakes and floor. Does it last ‘for weeks’. Not for me it didn’t about a day actually before it dulled and flaked. I didn’t spend much and it still ticks me off. Another item added to the list of things that don’t meet the hype of the sales pitch.

What’s new, right?

Ya know what would be new. A product that simply does what it says it will. What a concept, right? Getting your money’s worth.

I have yet to find a product that will shine tires and not get on everything. Most of them advertise NO SPLASH but not true. The best product I did use was a tire gel from a company called SMART WAX. We used to sell all their products at the dealer I worked.

• Like 1