Hey guys I am having some problems with my truck and would like to see what you think.

The truck is a 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali. It is currently at the dealership for repair. I took the truck in for a sunroof leak on August 9. They diagnosed it as a bad seal and ordered a seal and new head liner, but had me drive it home. The leak was causing electrical problems so I parked the truck in my garage and carpooled to work. The parts arrived at the dealership and I brought the truck in on the 15th. They tell it will be done Tuesday at the latest, which is the next day. Wednesday comes and I haven't heard from them so I call. They won't answer my questions at first then tell me it'll be done the next day. Well come to find out on the 18th they misdiagnosed and it needs a whole new sunroof assembly. Guess what? GM doesn't have one in stock and will let me know by close of business the next day when they can get one. That doesn't happen either. So today, August 22, they call me at 1130 to say it won't be in stock until September 8.

So at this point I am pretty annoyed of driving 6-cylinder work truck when I bought a brand new Denali. My truck spent 28 days last year in the shop for transmission problems and another week for the steering wheel heater going on the fritz and making it almost untouchable. The rep and I decide that the buyback program is reasonable next step since my truck is breaking so often. She calls and the DMA denies the claim. My response at 1230 is fine the truck will meet the Arizona lemon law requirements when the part arrives. Magically at 1300 the dealership service manager deems that a different part will work. I think it is convenient timing that when they cannot get the correct part for weeks and have no other option the word lemon comes out they find something else that works.

What do you guys think? My truck will be down for at least 3.5 weeks before they can install this substitute part. Putting it out of service for almost 9 weeks in 20 months of ownership. Not to mention they have not fixed my seat issues. Should I seek legal counsel? Am I out of line? Cooperate GM just tells me to talk to the dealerships customer service rep, who just happens to be the service manager calling the shots for my repairs.

Thanks,
-Joe H.

Only you can decide what your next step should be. If it is bothering you this much then go the legal route or when everything is fixed then trade it in on a different brand of truck, take your loss, and hopefully be happier in the end.

^ this. If you don't want the headache and GM won't do a buyback, trade it in. If that's too much of a $$ loss for you to accept, either look into your states local lemon law, or contact GM Customer Service and firmly ask them how they are going to compensate you. At minimum, I would ask for a free zero deductible extended warranty and perhaps free oil changes for your inconvenience.

I already have the maxed out warranty because of the transmission issues. If they wait for the correct part it will meet Arizona lemon law requirements. If they install this other part it will miss it by a few days. I worry that this alternate part is a bandaid that will mask the warped sunroof just long enough to avoid be lemon lawed

Definetly shady.

You won't get much for trade in with a leaking sunroof, stains, etc. One way or the other that needs fixed, even if short term.

I guess it's really up to you in where to go now. Have you tried a different dealer?

I started a bbb lemon law claim and met with an attorney. He said I have a case for it to be lemon lawed. I informed the dealership and they are supposedly trying to get it bought back

Work with GM first. Once you get the lawyers involved, it will take much longer to get a buy back. You clearly qualify for a lemon law. Let GM know this and you know the law and insist on a buy back. If they no longer are willing to play ball get a lawyer involved.

Become a pita, really I just lemoned mine, and it was done 100% thru Detroit, yes there are rules n laws set by my state that they followed, but no one else was I involved, BBB is useless and waste of time, either a lawyer needs to look out for u or deal directly thru Detroit

They offered to do that instead of buying it back. They said it's fixed now, but they damaged my dash and are waiting for parts again.

you gotta be kidding !......I'd be so fired up :devil:

Archived