E G T Gauge

You can also put one on the exhaust flange pipe that connects to the turbo. My semi truck has it's EGT sensor about 1" back from the turbo on the flange pipe. Great for seeing how turbo temps are cooling down after a hard pull and gives a very good read on EGT's while in operation.

• 4 weeks later...

If you don't want to go with the OBD port, which I would do, pop a hole in the passenger side intake manifold...Do it while the engine is running to prevent shavings from being sent to the turbo....and wear glasses...

I would also use the OBDII port...I just purchased an Edge CTS2 Insight from AutoAnything.com for $369. I have not installed it yet as I am waiting for the mount I ordered from Pro-Formance Diesel. He was in the process of approving production of their Gen 2 CTS2 Console Mount last week. Should be shipped to me this week. From what I have read, the CTS2 will pick up pre and post turbo temps...although they might not be as accurate as an EGT probe. Once I install mine, I'll post some updates...

I would also use the OBDII port...I just purchased an Edge CTS2 Insight from AutoAnything.com for $369. I have not installed it yet as I am waiting for the mount I ordered from Pro-Formance Diesel. He was in the process of approving production of their Gen 2 CTS2 Console Mount last week. Should be shipped to me this week. From what I have read, the CTS2 will pick up pre and post turbo temps...although they might not be as accurate as an EGT probe. Once I install mine, I'll post some updates...

Interesting...i have been waiting for a decent mount for the Insight as well....Shoot us pictures when you get it...

• 5 weeks later...
Finally, I had some time yesterday and I installed my Edge Insight CTS2 in the Gen 2 Console Mount that I purchased from Proformance Diesel. This mount matches the stock plastic well and looks like it is part of the center console. I also had no issues with logging into the Edge website and updating my CTS2 with the latest firmware...there wasn't any updates and it went very quickly...
Below are some install pics and / or "Insights" I learned...let the cutting begin...
1. You first need to remove the factory rubber card holder. The top piece of plastic that includes the slotted ridge will need to be removed. The edge under the slotted ridge is not attached. Cuts will need to be made on the sides and top. I drilled the upper two corners first, then used a side cutting bit as I didn't want to cut to deep...possibly into a wiring harness.
2. After these cuts are made, remove the top plastic piece. This will reveal a second layer of plastic that needs to be cut per the directions. This allows the Edge cable to come up from the front of the console.
3. A small piece of supplied velcro is attached directly in front of the cup holders
4. Pull the wire from the front of the console through the cut hole. I used a fish wire. Very easy.
5. Zip-tie the remaining Edge Cable and tuck into the front of the console.
6. Plug the Edge Cable into the OBDII port. I put one additional zip-tie on this cable under the dash to keep it from falling.
7. Plug the Edge Cable into the back of the Edge unit.
8. Place the Edge unit in the mount and press it in place. It is held by velcro at the bottom and friction at the top.
9. Follow the Edge prompts to complete the installation
I purposely chose the side cutting bit as it is easier to minimize the cutting depth. I tried the cut-off wheel, but found this harder to keep from going to deep...again, not knowing if there were wiring looms underneath. Once I removed the top piece of plastic (slotted ridge), there are two plastic threaded wire loom holders exposed. Not knowing which way these looms laid underneath, I felt this bit minimized the chance to cut into these. It worked, but does not produce a clean cut.
This will be easy to return to stock, if needed. I saved the plastic pieces that I removed and these can be set back in place and secured with glue or epoxy. This will allow the rubber card holder to be re-installed and this will cover up any cut edges.

• 2 weeks later...

Install looks great but I don't want to look down to see my gauge. So I just use the regular glass mount. Love my CTS2, but I just set up the second screen and put strange stuff on it, not sure what some of it is yet! :jester:

Finally, I had some time yesterday and I installed my Edge Insight CTS2 in the Gen 2 Console Mount that I purchased from Proformance Diesel. This mount matches the stock plastic well and looks like it is part of the center console. I also had no issues with logging into the Edge website and updating my CTS2 with the latest firmware...there wasn't any updates and it went very quickly...
Below are some install pics and / or "Insights" I learned...let the cutting begin...
1. You first need to remove the factory rubber card holder. The top piece of plastic that includes the slotted ridge will need to be removed. The edge under the slotted ridge is not attached. Cuts will need to be made on the sides and top. I drilled the upper two corners first, then used a side cutting bit as I didn't want to cut to deep...possibly into a wiring harness.
2. After these cuts are made, remove the top plastic piece. This will reveal a second layer of plastic that needs to be cut per the directions. This allows the Edge cable to come up from the front of the console.
3. A small piece of supplied velcro is attached directly in front of the cup holders
4. Pull the wire from the front of the console through the cut hole. I used a fish wire. Very easy.
5. Zip-tie the remaining Edge Cable and tuck into the front of the console.
6. Plug the Edge Cable into the OBDII port. I put one additional zip-tie on this cable under the dash to keep it from falling.
7. Plug the Edge Cable into the back of the Edge unit.
8. Place the Edge unit in the mount and press it in place. It is held by velcro at the bottom and friction at the top.
9. Follow the Edge prompts to complete the installation
I purposely chose the side cutting bit as it is easier to minimize the cutting depth. I tried the cut-off wheel, but found this harder to keep from going to deep...again, not knowing if there were wiring looms underneath. Once I removed the top piece of plastic (slotted ridge), there are two plastic threaded wire loom holders exposed. Not knowing which way these looms laid underneath, I felt this bit minimized the chance to cut into these. It worked, but does not produce a clean cut.
This will be easy to return to stock, if needed. I saved the plastic pieces that I removed and these can be set back in place and secured with glue or epoxy. This will allow the rubber card holder to be re-installed and this will cover up any cut edges.

Looks Great......

A questions for you when you have the time.

Does the unit shut on and off with ignition?

Yes, it powers up and down with the ignition. But, I have read on forums that some people have had problems using the remote start, if so equipped. Once the key is inserted and the ignition is turned to on, the CTS2 will either shut off or come on late after the motor has been running, This sometimes requires a re-boot...similar to the first time it was turned on where you have to select what brand of vehicle, etc. and the selected gauges, settings, colors, alarms, default back to the factory settings. I haven't used my remote start feature since my install. I'm planning on calling Edge to see if they have, or are planning a software update for this...

Yes, it powers up and down with the ignition. But, I have read on forums that some people have had problems using the remote start, if so equipped. Once the key is inserted and the ignition is turned to on, the CTS2 will either shut off or come on late after the motor has been running, This sometimes requires a re-boot...similar to the first time it was turned on where you have to select what brand of vehicle, etc. and the selected gauges, settings, colors, alarms, default back to the factory settings. I haven't used my remote start feature since my install. I'm planning on calling Edge to see if they have, or are planning a software update for this...

Thank you for the info.

Archived