New 2016 Stuck in 4WD, help!

5 month old 2016 with 3300 miles, pulling a 5500lb camper up to the camp site yesterday, got the "Service 4WD" on the dash. The selector knob was in "Auto" and the truck proceeded to lock itself in to 4WD. Got to the camp site with a lot of hopping and screeching, Pulled battery overnight but she's still stuck. No light on selector knob unless it's in Auto.

We are 150 miles from home and on a week long vacation pulling this camper around.

I read up a bit and figured I would either pull the actuator and manually shift the tcase into 2hi, or pull the front driveshaft.

Got up early this morning. Decided to try the actuator first. But as I loosened the bolts and started to wiggle it out, I noticed that there is some kind of rotational spring pressure on it, as well as some oii started dripping, so for those 2 reasons I bolted it back up.

Moved to the front driveshaft. Got it disconnected from the front yoke, but the rear is held to the tcase with a sealed on boot, crimped on with metal rings. Didnt want to destroy that so I bolted the driveshaft back up.

Is there any other way to manually disengage the front axle just for the week until I can get back home and have the dealer check it out?

Help!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks.

I noticed a delay in mine when out at the farm the other day. Got about half way stuck in deep mud going across the back creek and had to spin the tires good bit to get out. I actually had to put the truck in Reverse and goose it a couple of times to get it back into 2wd. I thought that was kinda odd on a 2016 but was used to that on the older models after really stressing the transfer case. I did not get a service light so yours may be something different...........

try putting it in 2wd and disconnecting the negative battery cable fr a few minutes and see if it shifts back to 2wd when you reconnect it .

There is a bulletin for an updated shift actuator. Do not remove the old one, the internal selector is spring loaded and snaps to nuetral when you pull the actuator out, and you need to use GDS2 to get it back into position after reinstalling it.

Yep i would try unhooking the camper and driving a bit. Start in auto and then after driving turning and backing up try switching the control knob. I never use auto unless on snow/ice road conditions. I would have just put it in 4hi or low if pulling a heavy load up. Those clutch packs do weird things in auto.

I read that your selector will default to its last setting. Did you try driving it after re-connecting the battery? I would try solutions such as mentioned in the previous posts before doing anymore campsite repairs or you may find yourself completely stranded! It is still under warranty and I would take it in to the dealer "hopping and screeching" if necessary! (the truck-not you)

Mine did this the 2nd day I had it, had to pull the batt cable and Tcm fuse, re attach the battery after 5 min then re insert the Tcm fuse, I could hear the module re engage. I tried to duplicate it again and couldn't. Haven't had a problem since.

I had the same problem about a month ago, the dealership ended up having to replace the actuator, the transfer case control module, and wire harness.

Mine decided to lock up in 4wd when we were about 50 miles away from home. I know the dealership recommended me to tow the truck, but it happened in the middle the night and I wasn't going to wait for one, so I drove it home.

I probably put unnecessary wear on tires and other mechanical parts driving on pavement locked in 4wd, but the truck still drives fine.

Nice choice in names, I take it you are not going to be a contributing member of the boards and just a one post complaint/request? Do as the others said or have it towed to the dealer, sh*t happens. Seems you are on the right track for trying to get it shifted. That is one problem with electronics, not much of an opportunity to manually cahnge something if it fails or get stuck.

You seem pretty knowledgeable, try changing your name and staying around the boards.

Tyler

Nice choice in names, I take it you are not going to be a contributing member of the boards and just a one post complaint/request? Do as the others said or have it towed to the dealer, sh*t happens. Seems you are on the right track for trying to get it shifted. That is one problem with electronics, not much of an opportunity to manually cahnge something if it fails or get stuck.

You seem pretty knowledgeable, try changing your name and staying around the boards.

Tyler

And when he gets it towed to the dealer the first thing they are going to do is what I said. They will drive it backwards as far as they can to see if it is mechanical before they assumme electrical. The blinker and wippers enhance the cool factor of 4WD basic diagnostics.

• Like 2

So I tried the reverse with wiper and blinker on, didn't work. Actually, I haven't tried a long pull in reverse. I did try a couple short back ups, prob 5 or 10 feet. I'll try a long one and see.

I'm an active forum member on most of the places I own cars. This truck was a lease we picked up just to pull this camper around, so being that I'm not tricking it out or otherwise modding it, I had never signed up here. Yes, the name was created this morning. I go by "TwoballScrewball" on a few motorcycle and other forums (I have a veloster turbo, harley softail and a couple old Polaris jet skis right now that I am active in forums on.).

I dont think I meant to actually have it in auto, I might have just left it there last time I used the 4WD, which was a while ago at a boat ramp.

Yeah, as soon as I felt that spring pressure on the actuator I knew it would be bad news to pull it out. I do wish I could get that front driveshaft down just to release the front axle for the week.

Thank you all for the advice, if I do get it to release I'll post here so the next guy has the solution. Anyone else have any ideas, let me hear them :)

Now that I signed up here I'll probably lurk around and contribute when I can.

Thanks!

• Like 1

OP what year is this truck?

Also you shouldn't be using Auto unless you are driving on wet roads or offroad in the mud. If it was me and I was offroad I would be in 4Hi and not Auto. Auto is really meant for normal city driving on roads with precipitation on them to where you want the truck to engage 4Hi instantly if the need arises.