Life Span on 5.7 Vortec?

Hey all. I'm looking at buying a used 1994 to 1998 GMC sierra 4x4 1500 with a 5.7 Vortec. One truck that I was looking a, a 1996, had 280000 km on the clock, and I was curious about how well these trucks hold up to large amounts of km like that. My current truck, a '94 Dakota 4x4 with a 5.2L has about 220000 km and it's definitely feelin tired and I was really intenting to upgrade to a gm with much lower km. How much better do the GM's and their engines age with that many km on the odometer?

What would that convert to in miles? I my self won't buy a car or truck that has over 100k miles. I like to stick to the really low stuff. That is if I can afford it. But from what I have seen they last along time. Around 200k on most. This is in Miles not Kilometers.

Later,

Brandon

1 Km = approximately 0.62 Miles.

That means then, that 280000 Kms is 173984 Miles on the 1996 Vortec and and 220000 Kms is 136702 Miles on the Dakota.

My 1996 Yukon's 5.7L Vortec currently has 189000 Kms or 117439 Miles on it and is still running strong.

well the '94 & '95 didn't have vortec yet, it started in '96.

My '97 Yukon had 140,000 when I pulled the motor to do some heavy mods and the engine looked like new on the inside. As long as they are maintained, they will last a long time.

My dad has a customer with a LT1 in his limo. The motor has been well maintained for its 450,000 miles so far and is still running strong.

• 7 months later...

With proper maintenance the SBC should run fine for a long time. Probably the most common problem would be valve guide seals which would cause the motor to puff a little smoke on start-up.

If you were the person that put all the mile on and you did excellent maintenance then the motor should keep on purring, but if you don't know the history, then be wary!!! The good thing is that rebuilds or "Crate" motors are relatively inexpensive for that engine!!!

I've had my 97 2500 with a 5.7L Vortec/4L80E for three months now and I love it. 137,200 miles or 221,000 Km on the clock today and I did a compression test when I got it and the spread between best and worst was 4%. I found a oil change sticker on mine that had a on-line log of the oil changes for the past two years; the owner before me was very good on maintaining the truck and I think that is the key. I know someone who has an LT1 camaro with over 250K on it and it's just now starting to show signs of needing help. My truck doesn't use any oil at all and runs like a champ. With the price of a new nicely equiped 2500HD around 30K, I'll stick with mine that I got for under 7K. I did expect to do some valve work with that many miles, but it has shown no signs of needing it.

As stated above, that 94 that you are looking at doesn't have the Vortec 5.7 in it, it has the TBI 5.7.

That's what my 92 has in it, and it has 155,000 miles on it, and will still smoke the tires, cruise across country at 85, or tow 5000 lbs without breaking a sweat.

But......Like what ^^ they ^^ said.....It MUST be maintained very well in order to last.

I had a '91 with 350 that had 89,000 after just under 9 years of ownership. While that's no where near the milage your looking at or that others have posted, that thing was as strong as the day I bought it. I changed all the fluids, filters, etc regularly and never had an engine related problem out of it during the time I had it.

One truck that I was looking a, a 1996, had 280000 km on the clock, and I was curious about how well these trucks hold up to large amounts of km like that.

With those numbers, I wouldn't be interested. Even if the engine was just rebuilt yesterday, all the other systems on the truck (transmission, wiring, brakes, suspension, rear end) are well beyond the average lifespan. You could have the proberbial 'one-hoss shay' on your hands.

(http://legallanguage.com/poems/onehossshay.htm)

Archived