Boosted GEN V's

i have a 2016 silverado 5.3 turbo can someone tell me how to post pics with my phone

I cropped my pictures but kept them at the same size and resaved them to my phone under medium quality instead of high quality. I uploaded of my cell phone though not sure if your on a actual computer.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

What's the limit on the 6L80 transmission in terms of power and torque limits? How is everyone's boosted Gen V's holding up?

GM specs say:

Maximum engine power:469 bhp (349 kw)

Maximum engine torque:439 lb-ft (595 Nm)

Maximum gearbox torque:664 lb-ft (900 Nm)

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-transmissions/myc/#ixzz4W899i99A

Obviously, boosting these is putting much more stress on the components and will limit the life depending on driving habits.

I'm looking at adding a Whipple this spring on my 2014 and just want to have all my bases covered.

Driving style dictates, my 25 year old chevy has had a whipple since new and 3 owners. One transmission rebuild in 110k miles. The rebuild was at 100K miles. A shift kit was added with the whipple. I had a vortec s/c on a 99 ford for the 110K miles I had it. The 99 was a stick and everything was original when traded in. The Ford was 5Lbs boost the chevy is 10 and still going strong.

Strange as it may sound in the in the over 40 years I'd been driving with the exception of going to the drag strip the faster the vehicle is the time of full throttle enjoyment is less. The loudness of the exhaust the slamming the gears goes buy to fast as the cars are faster to the speed limit something you'll notice right a way with the whipple.

What's the limit on the 6L80 transmission in terms of power and torque limits? How is everyone's boosted Gen V's holding up?

GM specs say:

Maximum engine power:469 bhp (349 kw)

Maximum engine torque:439 lb-ft (595 Nm)

Maximum gearbox torque:664 lb-ft (900 Nm)

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-transmissions/myc/#ixzz4W899i99A

Obviously, boosting these is putting much more stress on the components and will limit the life depending on driving habits.

I'm looking at adding a Whipple this spring on my 2014 and just want to have all my bases covered.

i asked this exact question awhile back, apparently there was a revision to it for our trucks, as a 6.2 would exceed the 6l80's torque rating stock. The 2014+ 6l80's are rated for 480ft lbs.

That being said, I'm really not worried about it. The 6l80 has been around for awhile now, basically any naturally aspirated automatic v8 that general motors produced from 2009 on. Tons of people are pushing a lot of power through them, including vettes. I wouldn't worry much about it.

Archived