Sorry the following is long.

I purchased my 2012 Chevrolet Silverado, four door, crew cab, LT, Z71 package from Mirak Chevrolet (Mirak) in Arlington, Massachusetts in July, 2012. This is the third Silverado that I have personally owned and one of numerous vehicles that my family has purchased from Mirak Chevrolet over the years. My Silverado is one of three General Motors Vehicles that I currently own or use for work, which includes a 1975 Buick Lesabre Custom and a 2012 Chevrolet Equinox that is my work vehicle. I take excellent care of my vehicles. My 2012 Silverado looks brand new, and it has approximately 15,000 miles on it.

Early this year I began to notice rust developing on the frame and that the coating on the frame was peeling off. Upon researching what was going on with my vehicle, I was able to determine that this seems to be a common issue among not only the 2012 Silverado, but also subsequent year Chevrolet Silverado’s and GMC’s. I called Mirak Chevrolet and Mirak agreed that this was an issue, and agreed to look at the issue that I was having with my vehicle.

Mirak looked at the car on March 17, 2016 and subsequently advised me he placed the vehicle on a lift and observed that the frame was in fact rusted and that it was more extensive than he originally thought. Mirak MADE AN AGREEMENT to fix the frame under the warranty and according to the technical service bulletin. Mirak advised me, by email, that he wanted to set a tentative to “have the frame finish repaired as necessary. “

I made numerous calls to the dealership and the response each time was that the dealership did not have the materials to complete the repair. Mirak called me on June 29, 2016, 3 months later, and advised me that the materials had arrived and that he could take my vehicle for the repairs. I made an appointment with Mirak and the vehicle was dropped off the week of July 4, 2016. I was advised that the repairs would take a week to a week and a half and was provided with a loaner vehicle.

I received the first of two telephone calls on Friday August 12, 2016 from Mirak. Mirak advised that the repairs could not be done because “there were too many rusted parts,”the rust on the frame was extensive, and that Chevrolet would not authorize the repairs.

Mirak asked if I parked my car on grass and I advised him no and that it was parked in a driveway. Mirak suggested that parking on grass could accelerate the rusting issue. Mirak also stated that the vehicle could have been driven in salt water. Mirak then suggested that because the vehicle had low miles it could accelerate the rust because it was not receiving enough air flow.

Mirak advised me that they had spoken to Chevrolet and that they would be willing to offer me $3000.00 towards the price of a new vehicle. I placed a complaint with GM customer service and they eventually replied that the rust was caused by excessive moisture and would therefore not be fixed according to the Technical Service Bulletin. GM customer service also advised me that it was not their issue because the dealership is an independent contractor .

I received an estimate of repairs from Mirak Chevrolet. The estimate to complete the repairs was stated as $2,886.75. I am a lifelong GM customer and current owner of two GM vehicles. I purchased my Silverado believing that GM would stand by their products like they have in the past for me. Right now, I have a 2012 Silverado that is seriously deteriorating due to the coating coming off the frame. GM offered me a $3000.00 customer rebate towards a new vehicle, which I find completely unacceptable. The cost to repair is less than what was offered towards the purchase a new vehicle.

My advice is to check those frames. I am now in the habit of looking at every silverado/ gmc frame, and I dont know of one that is not exhibiting some sort of issue with the wax coating coming off. Dont worry though, GM or the dealership will blame you for driving your car in the ocean or parking it under a waterfall.

I purchased my 2012 Chevrolet Silverado, four door, crew cab, LT, Z71 package from Mirak Chevrolet (Mirak) in Arlington, Massachusetts in July, 2012. This is the third Silverado that I have personally owned and one of numerous vehicles that my family has purchased from Mirak Chevrolet over the years. My Silverado is one of three General Motors Vehicles that I currently own or use for work, which includes a 1975 Buick Lesabre Custom and a 2012 Chevrolet Equinox that is my work vehicle. I take excellent care of my vehicles. My 2012 Silverado looks brand new, and it has approximately 15,000 miles on it.

Early this year I began to notice rust developing on the frame and that the coating on the frame was peeling off. Upon researching what was going on with my vehicle, I was able to determine that this seems to be a common issue among not only the 2012 Silverado, but also subsequent year Chevrolet Silverado’s and GMC’s. I called Mirak Chevrolet and Mirak agreed that this was an issue, and agreed to look at the issue that I was having with my vehicle.

Mirak looked at the car on March 17, 2016 and subsequently advised me he placed the vehicle on a lift and observed that the frame was in fact rusted and that it was more extensive than he originally thought. Mirak MADE AN AGREEMENT to fix the frame under the warranty and according to the technical service bulletin. Mirak advised me, by email, that he wanted to set a tentative to “have the frame finish repaired as necessary. “

I made numerous calls to the dealership and the response each time was that the dealership did not have the materials to complete the repair. Mirak called me on June 29, 2016, 3 months later, and advised me that the materials had arrived and that he could take my vehicle for the repairs. I made an appointment with Mirak and the vehicle was dropped off the week of July 4, 2016. I was advised that the repairs would take a week to a week and a half and was provided with a loaner vehicle.

I received the first of two telephone calls on Friday August 12, 2016 from Mirak. Mirak advised that the repairs could not be done because “there were too many rusted parts,”the rust on the frame was extensive, and that Chevrolet would not authorize the repairs.

Mirak asked if I parked my car on grass and I advised him no and that it was parked in a driveway. Mirak suggested that parking on grass could accelerate the rusting issue. Mirak also stated that the vehicle could have been driven in salt water. Mirak then suggested that because the vehicle had low miles it could accelerate the rust because it was not receiving enough air flow.

Mirak advised me that they had spoken to Chevrolet and that they would be willing to offer me $3000.00 towards the price of a new vehicle. I placed a complaint with GM customer service and they eventually replied that the rust was caused by excessive moisture and would therefore not be fixed according to the Technical Service Bulletin. GM customer service also advised me that it was not their issue because the dealership is an independent contractor .

I received an estimate of repairs from Mirak Chevrolet. The estimate to complete the repairs was stated as $2,886.75. I am a lifelong GM customer and current owner of two GM vehicles. I purchased my Silverado believing that GM would stand by their products like they have in the past for me. Right now, I have a 2012 Silverado that is seriously deteriorating due to the coating coming off the frame. GM offered me a $3000.00 customer rebate towards a new vehicle, which I find completely unacceptable. The cost to repair is less than what was offered towards the purchase a new vehicle.

My advice is to check those frames. I am now in the habit of looking at every silverado/ gmc frame, and I dont know of one that is not exhibiting some sort of issue with the wax coating coming off. Dont worry though, GM or the dealership will blame you for driving your car in the ocean or parking it under a waterfall.

Frame Surface Rust is common due to the fact that the rust inhibitor does not work 100 % - the new frame wax can be scraped off by just using a lift improperly.

If you had more than surface rust and was developing holes - that should still be covered in the 5 year (?) warranty - IMO - BUT the dealer and GM are not easy to convince it was NOT your fault ...

note - if the dealer says no to a warranty claim - the District Sale Rep from GM will usually (try) to stand by the dealer (2 against 1) and when the dealer says NO it indicates your NOT a customer they really care about - the dealer can push thru a warranty claim if it's iffy - the dealer wants to sell NEW cars and not repair cars overall, hence trying to sell you ..

maybe finding other instances like yours would help your case (?) not easy

New 1/2 ton trucks are offered for as much as 20-25% off MSRP, plus another $3000 off may work out for you

sorry to hear - my 2004 truck frame was the about to rot thru

Archived