Looks like tons on topics on the 2500 and bad issues.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another way to look at it is you do not see long threads with multiple people posting the same issue over and over again in the HD section. On the other hand in the 1/2 tons there are multiple issues with 100 page threads. Night and day difference. HDs are tried and true with very few issues.

I recently needed to upgrade from my uber dependable toyota tundra 5.7L to a 3/4 ton truck to pull my new TT. Years ago, I had a 95 GMC 2500 with the old 6.5 detroit diesel. It became a money pit well before it hit 100k miles. By the time I finally ditched it for my first tundra in 2002, I foamed at the mouth and swore on the bible I would never touch another american made truck by the big 3 with a 10 foot pole, but alas what are my choices for an HD pickup? Before I bought my newish 2015 silverado 2500hd with 6.0l gas last month, I considered ford and ram but here I am again with fingers crossed for this new chev. I'm hedging my bets and bought the extended bumper to bumper warranty from gm good to 100k miles or til 2023. I wish there were independently published reliability data on hd trucks like CR does on cars and ld trucks, but alas there isn't much. From what I can find on JD Power, GM seems on top for reliability in the hd segment. Very general but check the 2016 US vehicle dependability study here:
http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/2016-us-vehicle-dependability-study-vds

As for anyone who is concerned about the Chevy/GMC 2500- I'd like to suggest you go hang out at the Ford and Dodge sites and read the forums over there for awhile. You'll see they both have their own issues, some specific to their brand, some that have similar issues that the GM trucks have. (DEF, DPF on the Diesels, as an example) Purchasing a vehicle is a gamble, no matter what brand it is. Nothing is guaranteed to be perfect or last or provide the least amount of problems now a days. It's not like the old days where you had a 80s or 90s Toyota or Honda product that just kept going and going and going. Toyota and Honda have issues now a days just like everyone else. Why? Tons of sensors and crap to make the EPA happy and to stay competitive aside from reliability because reliability overall save for one or two brands has pretty much caught up with all the manufacturers. At least as best they can. Some vehicles stand out moreso than others, but no matter what brand you go with, there will always be someone who has a problem with it and thinks it's the worst POS in the world. It's a gamble. There are no guarantees in life. Do your research, flip a coin if you get stuck, and suck it up and come here for help when things don't go the way we want them to.

Davey- I think you'll be very pleased with your 6.0. If not, give it another few years and Yohota will have a 3/4 ton out by then. Just a matter of time.

My preference would be for my new 2500 to give me >150k trouble free miles and that toyota not bring a 3/4 ton. Don't want buyers remorse I haven't towed the new TT with it yet, but have been getting out for a weekend ride to the beach in it. It's not a DD. I really like this beast. Crew cab long bed has very nice road manners. I can tell that it will handle the trailer (8,000 lbs) very comfortably. Where the Tundra has snappy acceleration, quick sporty handling, and great towing power, it handled poorly towing the tt. This 2500hd 6.0 is smoother all around. It's like comparing a battleship to a destroyer. I'm curious to see how it compares pulling my trailer up a long 6% grade.

I recently went out west and my fully loaded 6.0L pulled my 8k TT with ease. Up several steeper grades it pulled wonderful. I swear the truck begged for more.

Let the motor rev and do its thing.

BTW, I never saw my trans temp exceed 170, despite it being near 100 outside.

I have not had any issues with my 2015 2500 6.0L since day one. I might make a dig at some of the fluff features on it that I wish I didn't have to pay for, or that I wish I could have gotten an LT or LTZ interior with rubber floor covering instead of carpet, which is just about stupid to have in a pickup for rural farm/ranch use. But it has been a rock solid pickup. done everything I asked of it and never complained and I always felt there was even more capability to spare. Wife even likes it better than the previous 1500, and not just for the creature comforts. She feels more confident in this pickup. So, it is one that will be a keeper.

Needatruck there were some excellent answers to your concerns. Couldnt stated better myself. There will always be some issues with any brand. You pull the trigger on that Duramax Ill be able able to see that grin from Little Rock. :chevy:

Until he looks at the price or loan payment amount. And compares fuel costs and related cost per mile to operate. Nothing against a diesel, as I go thru over 20,000 gallons of diesel a year for my other stuff. I use it where it is needed and avoid it where I don't. I don't get all giddy and wet my pants over diesel as some do.

Needatruck there were some excellent answers to your concerns. Couldnt stated better myself. There will always be some issues with any brand. You pull the trigger on that Duramax Ill be able able to see that grin from Little Rock. :chevy:

I think if the incentives work out righ I'm going for a Denali Duramax between now and end of year. ?

FYI, mine is in the shop now after 8K with the steering problem. Waiting to see what they say. It went all at once. Other then that just small problems that have all been fixed. Still love the truck and would get it again.

Archived