Lifter Rattle at Start Up

lryfer

Question

My 2006 Silverado with a 5.7 engine started to have lifter rattle when starting. It started about 3-4 weeks ago. Engine starts fine, lifters rattle for 3-5 seconds then stop.

Truck runs fine. Just concerned I may have something going on with engine. Only got 63K on truck.

Do I need to worry about engine failure with this recent noise starting.

3 answers to this question

5.7???

The GMT800's were notorious for the lifter tick in the 5.3 engines. I had mine in on it never had an issue in 90K miles before selling. Do your nomral maintenance (oil changes) and you should be fine

If it is your lifters don't ignore it cause ya they will free up and ya it will run fine but each time you hear the lifter tick you have to understand that the lifter is stuck and the cam go around and round hitting it and it not moving is the tick and until it frees up the cam will keep turning sure as the sun will rise in the morning and if the lifter isn't moving then you basically got an unstoppable force meeting an immovable object eventually the lifter will be damaged so badly that the truck will still run fine but at idle and low rpm you won't have but about 3-6 pounds of oil pressure itlll pick back up when you accelerate but red lights drive thrus school zones all become very annoying with the low oil pressure alarm sounding trust me you want to look into what is causeing the stuck lifters and hope that ole boy is right and it's just an exhaust leak I doubt it is cause I've got two broken exhaust manifold bolts and mine don't leak at all not even a little but but I ignored the first start up lifter tick that went away soon as I Gabe it a little gas but it only took 4 times to damage mine now I'm driving around with my oil pressure sending unit unplugged so I don't have to listen to the alarm till I can find time to fix

Archived