Every Full Sized GM Truck & SUV Model Recalled- Driver Killed

Gorehamj

From the description it sounds like the seatbelt fails to lock or hold you back during a collision.

All they're doing is reprogramming a module. So I'm sure the same module controls the airbags and the seatbelt so it tightens the belt when the airbag deploys.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great #@!! - In March Takata notified GM that they had issued a recall on the airbag inflators in my 2011 2500HD and 6 months later the folks at GM customer assistance center cannot tell me when I will be able to get my truck fixed. Defective Takata inflators sill send metal shrapnel flying through the cab even if you are in a fender bender but GM is taking the common approach of hoping this will all die down before they have to spend the money to have the defective inflator fixed. I am avoiding driving my truck until the defective inflators are replaced.

My next truck is going to be a Toyota.

Just so you know, Toyota kept releasing trucks with a defective steering part and caused deaths and injuries. And I'm talking about they didn't fix it for over a decade. I believe this was from the 80s going into the 90s. You go ahead and buy what you want, just realize that all car companies have had to deal with recalls and defective parts since it's so much out sourcing these days, now more than ever.

Ya but I'm sure airbags save way more people than they kill when working properly. Just saying......

I'd rather have working airbags, but maybe I'm weird. It will only take 20 minutes to do so not really a huge problem to have done.

I didn't say anything about that did I? I do think they need to be there. You know what saves more lives than anything else in a car? Smart and polite driving, that's what. Do you use that along with your airbags?

I just don't think they need to be government mandated. Let stupid people do stupid things. So much for freedom.

Thanks for the report, I was just getting ready to make an appointment for an oil change so this will be included. I even looked up my VIN# HERE and this is the report I get.

The following recalls have been found for your 2015 GMC Sierra LD Ext

• VIN: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
  • Results last updated: Sep 09, 2016

Recalls and/or programs for your vehicle in which repairs have not been completed are listed below.

Safety & Non-Compliance Recalls
  • GM Recall #:
  • NHTSA #
  • Date Issued:
  • Sep 08, 2016

Recall Title:

Frontal Airbag And Pretensioner Non Deploy

Recall Description:

General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2014-2017 model year Chevrolet Silverado LD, GMC Sierra LD, Buick Encore, Chevrolet Trax, Chevrolet Caprice Police, and Chevrolet Corvette vehicles, 2014-2016 model year Buick Lacrosse, Chevrolet Spark EV, and Chevrolet SS vehicles and 2015-2017 model year Chevrolet Silverado HD, GMC Sierra HD, GMC Yukon, GMC Yukon XL, Cadillac Escalade Cadillac Escalade ESV, Chevrolet Suburban, and Chevrolet Tahoe vehicles. The sensing and diagnostic module (SDM) in these vehicles, which controls airbag and pretensioner deployment, contains a software defect which may prevent the deployment of frontal airbags and pretensioners in certain rare circumstances. If the frontal airbags and seatbelt pretensioners do not deploy when required, there is an increased risk of injury to occupants in a crash.

Safety Risk Description:

If the frontal airbags and seatbelt pretensioners do not deploy when required, there is an increased risk of injury to occupants in a crash.

Repair Description:

Reprogram the SDM with new software that eliminates this defect. In vehicles with any previous deployment events recorded in the SDM, the dealers will replace the existing SDM with a new SDM containing the latest software.

Recall Status: INCOMPLETE

I didn't say anything about that did I? I do think they need to be there. You know what saves more lives than anything else in a car? Smart and polite driving, that's what. Do you use that along with your airbags?

I just don't think they need to be government mandated. Let stupid people do stupid things. So much for freedom.

I do drive with sense but guess what, you can't control other people. So it doesn't matter how perfect of a driver you are, you can still get into an accident from someone else making a mistake.

I can update my phone and computer O/S and all application software, as well as pay for it - wirelessly. I or On-Star can start and stop my truck wirelessly. On-Star can monitor all manor of service parameters and report them to me wirelessly.

In 2016 why should anyone with On-Star service - have to take their truck to the Dealership to have a software module reprogramed?

20 minutes to do the actual work - does not include the hour or more you have to wait for a Service Tech to get to your truck in the first place. Nor the time you spending going to the Dealership and returning to work/home after. All-in-all most of us will spend at least a couple hours maybe more.

GM should have it's Dealers keep their Service Departments open, with Service Tech's on hand - - till 10:00 PM Monday though Friday - to preform this Recall. Plus they should have lots of Local Area Advertising to inform Customers of both the Recall and the extended Service Hours provided to get it done.

I know that not all trucks have On-Star, some people drop the service and I'm sure that a couple trucks have been sold without it. Even so - a large percentage of Customers should be able to push the On-Star button - and have this software updated wirelessly. The fact that they can't should indicate that GM's needs to over-haul their Information Technology Management..

FWIW,

Carl B.

I can update my phone and computer O/S and all application software, as well as pay for it - wirelessly. I or On-Star can start and stop my truck wirelessly. On-Star can monitor all manor of service parameters and report them to me wirelessly.

In 2016 why should anyone with On-Star service - have to take their truck to the Dealership to have a software module reprogramed?

20 minutes to do the actual work - does not include the hour or more you have to wait for a Service Tech to get to your truck in the first place. Nor the time you spending going to the Dealership and returning to work/home after. All-in-all most of us will spend at least a couple hours maybe more.

GM should have it's Dealers keep their Service Departments open, with Service Tech's on hand - - till 10:00 PM Monday though Friday - to preform this Recall. Plus they should have lots of Local Area Advertising to inform Customers of both the Recall and the extended Service Hours provided to get it done.

I know that not all trucks have On-Star, some people drop the service and I'm sure that a couple trucks have been sold without it. Even so - a large percentage of Customers should be able to push the On-Star button - and have this software updated wirelessly. The fact that they can't should indicate that GM's needs to over-haul their Information Technology Management..

FWIW,

Carl B.

Do you really want it that easy to get to the computer of your truck? A smartphone or computer doesn't cost nearly as much as even a 20 year old truck that doesn't have near the electronics as these trucks have. I guess you wouldn't mind a hacker getting into it and shutting things off and what not. Even the steering on the 1500s are electronic rack and pinion now.

It's easy as a customer to say that a dealership (which is just a business) to have workers available for 16 hours a day for 5 or even 6 days a week. What if you were one of the techs? The money might be good, but then they probably have a family and won't take long to get burnt out. And what if someone is burnt out trying to work on your truck, or work on a mechanical safety part like brakes. I know it's a PITA to maybe take time out of work or go right after work. But, you're not the only one having to do it so suck it up buttercup and deal with it. I mean we all have to wait in line at the store to get checked out and everybody has to do it so deal with it.

Do you really want it that easy to get to the computer of your truck? A smartphone or computer doesn't cost nearly as much as even a 20 year old truck that doesn't have near the electronics as these trucks have. I guess you wouldn't mind a hacker getting into it and shutting things off and what not. Even the steering on the 1500s are electronic rack and pinion now.

It's easy as a customer to say that a dealership (which is just a business) to have workers available for 16 hours a day for 5 or even 6 days a week. What if you were one of the techs? The money might be good, but then they probably have a family and won't take long to get burnt out. And what if someone is burnt out trying to work on your truck, or work on a mechanical safety part like brakes. I know it's a PITA to maybe take time out of work or go right after work. But, you're not the only one having to do it so suck it up buttercup and deal with it. I mean we all have to wait in line at the store to get checked out and everybody has to do it so deal with it.

And this is the way the USA is headed as far as customer service goes!

If this only takes 20 minutes to do, have 2 or 3 techs on a rotational schedule, and dedicate 2 bays to get this done ASAP.

I think the dealers/Service Dept. needs to suck it up and deal with it!

The customer purchased the vehicle not knowing about this, just as the dealer did not know.

However, it is the dealers responsibility to take care of the problem.

The dealers shouldn't have a problem getting reimbursed from the manufacture, since this is where the root cause is...not the customer who wanted a safe vehicle for the family.

What is the customer supposed to do, take time off from work to get this done?

Loose time with the family on the weekend to get this done?

Yes the techs also have families and I don't doubt they would eventually get burnt out...hence have 3 dedicated techs on a rotational schedule, IF the service of customers is of any concern!

If it is not a concern, then do nothing and continue as is and not use the crisis to challenge your team to do better...just do the same thing and hope for the best.

This is a little different than waiting in line at the store, bank, traffic etc. you do those things out of choice...these airbags...not by choice.

And yes, it's not the choice of the dealership either...or maybe even the manufacturer, BUT the responsibility to get this resolved is the dealerships and the manufacturer, not the customer.

This crisis will be remembered for a long time, and the way GM handles it will be remembered even longer, rather it be negative or positive.

You're right about not wanting the dealership to be able to get to my computer as easy as the use of a smart phone.

As is people can hack your vehicle now.

Thank-you. You have provided the exact attitude prevalent at GM when they had 60%+ market share - and which lead them ever downward to bankruptcy a few decades later. Service? Only our our terms. Products years behind the technology. Build poor quality products and let the Customers "suck it up".

You seem willing to accept shoddy business practices and an utter lack of continual product improvement or innovation. I am not. You seem to think that it is acceptable to run a Service Dept. with insufficient staff (to save a few bucks) - where individuals would have to work 16 hours a day - to provide Good Customer Service. I expect the Service Dept. to have sufficient staff - that a couple of them could be moved to a second shift when large recalls are necessary. These Dealerships are not Mom & Pop operations.

The bottom line is - it's easy to make all manor of excuses for PPS (Piss Poor Service) and grumble about how unreasonable the people buying your products or services are. Myself - I see a problem and I look for a better solution.

As for Computer security - GM has very low quality there as well today. Actually no excuse for it in a multi-billion dollar industry. Especially when they paid billions for EDS and Hughes - both jamb packed with technical expertise at the time.

Sorry we just see things differently..

FWIW,

Carl B.

And this is the way the USA is headed as far as customer service goes!

If this only takes 20 minutes to do, have 2 or 3 techs on a rotational schedule, and dedicate 2 bays to get this done ASAP.

I think the dealers/Service Dept. needs to suck it up and deal with it!

The customer purchased the vehicle not knowing about this, just as the dealer did not know.

However, it is the dealers responsibility to take care of the problem.

The dealers shouldn't have a problem getting reimbursed from the manufacture, since this is where the root cause is...not the customer who wanted a safe vehicle for the family.

What is the customer supposed to do, take time off from work to get this done?

Loose time with the family on the weekend to get this done?

Yes the techs also have families and I don't doubt they would eventually get burnt out...hence have 3 dedicated techs on a rotational schedule, IF the service of customers is of any concern!

If it is not a concern, then do nothing and continue as is and not use the crisis to challenge your team to do better...just do the same thing and hope for the best.

This is a little different than waiting in line at the store, bank, traffic etc. you do those things out of choice...these airbags...not by choice.

And yes, it's not the choice of the dealership either...or maybe even the manufacturer, BUT the responsibility to get this resolved is the dealerships and the manufacturer, not the customer.

This crisis will be remembered for a long time, and the way GM handles it will be remembered even longer, rather it be negative or positive.

You're right about not wanting the dealership to be able to get to my computer as easy as the use of a smart phone.

As is people can hack your vehicle now.

Thank-you. You have provided the exact attitude prevalent at GM when they had 60%+ market share - and which lead them ever downward to bankruptcy a few decades later. Service? Only our our terms. Products years behind the technology. Build poor quality products and let the Customers "suck it up".

You seem willing to accept shoddy business practices and an utter lack of continual product improvement or innovation. I am not. You seem to think that it is acceptable to run a Service Dept. with insufficient staff (to save a few bucks) - where individuals would have to work 16 hours a day - to provide Good Customer Service. I expect the Service Dept. to have sufficient staff - that a couple of them could be moved to a second shift when large recalls are necessary. These Dealerships are not Mom & Pop operations.

The bottom line is - it's easy to make all manor of excuses for PPS (Piss Poor Service) and grumble about how unreasonable the people buying your products or services are. Myself - I see a problem and I look for a better solution.

As for Computer security - GM has very low quality there as well today. Actually no excuse for it in a multi-billion dollar industry. Especially when they paid billions for EDS and Hughes - both jamb packed with technical expertise at the time.

Sorry we just see things differently..

FWIW,

Carl B.

If they can figure out a faster way then fine. I'm just saying that you can't be selfish and think you're top priority. There are other customers having other things done and throughout the day some things may take longer than expected. All you can do is make an appointment and hope it doesn't take a long time. When I had the seatbelt recall done that's all I had done. He said it normally takes about 40 minutes I think he said, and I was out of there after about an hour of being there from the top I got out of the truck to the time I left. Normally for any place with appointments it's actually better to go as early int he day as you can because by the afternoon they start to get backed up which is what causes you to wait, like at the doctor's office. I'm not saying people shouldn't work hard, but just don't think about yourself. Most dealerships do the best that they can with what they have. Sure some get over on you and/or don't care about you, but some do care. That's why the last free oil change and tire rotation that I had done under the 2 year maintenance warranty and then the seatbelt recall I had done at a dealer 20 minutes from me. The dealer I bought my truck from that is in the town I live and I did work at for a short time seemed to not care as much and you had to wait a long time. The one 20 minutes away I hardly had to wait and they seemed to care more. Even the oil change and tire rotation only took maybe an hour and a half. But, I think that's when they also did the transfer case recall so that took an additional 40 minutes. So an hour and a half for an oil change, tire rotation and the transfer case recall wasn't too bad. Hell they even reset the tire TPMS when the one in my town didn't. I'm just say that I know every customer needs to be treated like they're important because they are. But, the customer also needs to realize that they're not the only customer so it's up to the company to deal with everybody equally. Any job that they do in service they know how long it should take so they make appointments accordingly so they don't put too much on the techs in a day. If you're saying that treating the customer is so important, yet you're not saying the same for the workers. Shouldn't it be the same for both? I would want to take care of both the workers AND the customers.

These dealerships may not be mom and pop stores, but they're still privately owned and aren't a fortune 500 company. Dealerships don't work for the manufacturers, they basically just sell product for a manufacturer.

But I guess I don't know shit according to some people on here.

Archived