Diesel owners question about the DPF

I am reading the Duramax supplement to my owner's manual. Figured it was the most important to read first since I know little to nothing about diesels.

The manual states "If the vehicle is used for numerous short trips or extended slow-speed operations, the engine computer may not be able to adequately heat up the exhaust system to clean the DPF effectively. The engine computer has been designed to continuously monitor the condition of the DPF. When the engine computer detects that the DPF is nearly full of particulates and that the vehicle is not operated in a manner that would allow effective automatic DPF cleaning, the DIC will display a message." The message (Paraphrased) that appears states that you need to drive faster than 30 MPH for at least 30 minutes. If you continue to drive with the DPF filter become plugged engine power will be reduced and the service engine soon sign will appear.

I am wonder if anyone has experienced this. Since this is obviously a tow vehicle I wonder what to do if we are stuck in traffic or on a slow mountain road pulling a trailer and can't go faster than 30 mph. Would the force required to pull a large trailer heat up the engine sufficiently that this isn't going to happen? Traffic in major cities like LA, SF, Seattle, Chicago, Washington DC, etc can be a nightmare.

Any suggestions other than pull off and wait until traffic is flowing???

When I notice mine in regen I put it in tow haul mode which increases the RPMs at low speeds which also increases the exhaust temp. I also make it a point to not shut the truck down while it's conducting the cycle. I also tend to step on the gas a little harder during regen to increase the exhaust pressure and clean out the filter. Idk if it'll make that much of a difference but in theory it sounds good

That is what I was thinking, that the tow/haul mode would increase the temp so it most likely not going to happen while towing. I have seen pictures of stuck traffic during evacuations prior to hurricanes down in your section of the country, so you know what I am talking about. Years ago in my first tow vehicle (gas) I was stuck in traffic for four hours, from north of LAX to south of Long Beach. It was a nightmare. Have had other LA traffic adventures, but never as bad as that one.

I am learned so much about diesel engines that I never knew before. I know gas engines pretty well, so this is definitely new territory for me. My husband knows general information, but I am going to make him read this manual also. If ever drives my truck he needs to know details about how this engine works.

I drive mine just like all my other vehicles and don't even think about it. I have many trips of less than 5 miles, trips of a couple hundred pulling the TT and everything in between. No issues to date and I don't do anything special when it is in a regen. It will finish on its own when you do get a long enough run. Very rarely have people had issues with a cycle not being able to complete when driving normally.

I found it best to drive it like any other vehicle you've ever had and don't stress. Enjoy your new truck! I know I have enjoyed mine.

my truck is one of the perhaps 5-10% that already has a partially plugged up DPF as a result of lots of idling or low speed driving and not having proper regens done where you should be driving above 30 MPH for 30 miles/30 min. I am the 2nd owner of the truck. The first owner used it in the construction industry, mainly out in the oil fields of Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska, the Dakota's, and Oklahoma. Because the regen can't be done at idle or low speeds, the particulates pretty much kept building onto each other and clogged things up fairly well to the point that normal regens and even service regens won't undo the damage that has been done. My truck is doing a regen every 90-130 miles instead of every 400-600 that I saw in my 08 Sierra. My only option at this point is to have the DPF replaced or removed and tuned out of the system, however I can't have it removed due to the area I live in requiring emissions testing which requires the emissions system to be installed and intact and operational. If I leave things as is, it is just a matter of time before I start getting the error messages. Once the filter is screwed up like mine is, it will continue to get worse. I do let mine do it's regens on the highway and I have ocassionally run it in 4th gear at 65-75MPH (2900-3100 RPM) to really get things hot, and usually after doing that, I see an increase of about 20 miles before the next regen, but at what cost? I'm getting a crappy 12-14 sometimes 15 MPG on the highway as-is with the way things are plugged up. On my 08, I could get 19-21 MPG on the highway at speeds of 70 or under. (not towing of course)

Now.

Thank you for the replies. Colossus, I figured that it damaged the DPF if you continued to drive. Good to know that I can expect it to regen about every 400-600 miles. I would estimate that it is going to cycle about once every tank of gas or two tanks if towing. I cannot wait to tow with this beast. My 15 pulled our trailer with ease, with so this truck is going to be a cake walk. But once we get our new trailer or 5th it might notice that there is something back there.

Now another question for all :

What is the Power Take Off light the indicator for? How is it different from the Wait to Start indicator.

Thank you for the replies. Colossus, I figured that it damaged the DPF if you continued to drive. Good to know that I can expect it to regen about every 400-600 miles. I would estimate that it is going to cycle about once every tank of gas or two tanks if towing. I cannot wait to tow with this beast. My 15 pulled our trailer with ease, with so this truck is going to be a cake walk. But once we get our new trailer or 5th it might notice that there is something back there.

Now another question for all :

What is the Power Take Off light the indicator for? How is it different from the Wait to Start indicator.

The PTO light is an option if some trucks have that installed. I've never had that illuminated in mine, so I can't offer much hep on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get an Edge Insight CTS2, it will let you know when the truck is going into regen and what not.

Also, just drive it. Don't over think the regens and DPF.

I have had my Duramax for almost a year and have put about 23,000 miles on between daily driving and towing my travel trailer.

If it helps, I've had two lml's (2011 & 2015). Commuted 10 minutes to work with both and used both to plow our lots. Hours of stop and go with idling and never had a DPF message come up and not one issue with the DPF either. I'd just drive it like you would any other vehicle, that's what I did. I would even shut it off for the evening if it was in the middle of a regen...It would just start the regen back up the next morning..again no issues.

If it helps, I've had two lml's (2011 & 2015). Commuted 10 minutes to work with both and used both to plow our lots. Hours of stop and go with idling and never had a DPF message come up and not one issue with the DPF either. I'd just drive it like you would any other vehicle, that's what I did. I would even shut it off for the evening if it was in the middle of a regen...It would just start the regen back up the next morning..again no issues.

The PTO light is an option if some trucks have that installed. I've never had that illuminated in mine, so I can't offer much hep on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hubby just got up for his nap. I was going over the information that I had learned from reading the manual this afternoon. He informed me that PTO is for the trans when there is a winch or snowplow is attached. He was impressed with what I have learned so far. :driving: He knows how green I am about diesels. I am adamant to learn about this truck. I think that you should know about your own vehicle that you drive.

Archived