Front Seat Lateral Movement and/or Click Type Noise While Driving

MudPump

I know this isn't the first thread on this issue and apologize for any duplication. I have seen information on the Tahoe/Yukon forum as well.

The issue is best summarized by the repair tip link - "Driver and/or passenger seat lower cushion exhibits excessive lateral seat movement combined with a clunk type feeling, or generates a click type noise. This condition occurs when the seat is occupied and the vehicle is being driven on roads with multiple curves or during low speed maneuvers. This condition may be caused by movement in the seat cushion and/or movement between the seat pan front pivot points and the seat frame pivot bar."

The link to the repair tip informs the tech on how to perform the repair, and to me it looks pretty complete, although too much or me to bother with a truck under warranty. http://gm.oemdtc.com/1647/front-seat-lateral-movement-andor-click-type-noise-while-driving-2014-chevrolet-silverado-gmc-sierra

A different link provides a similar repair procedure. http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=2441

What I am looking for is the specific TSB # or repair number I can provide to the service department when I book the truck for the work. Often they will not take your word for the print out, and unless they has a specific TSB, don't know what parts to have in stock to perform the work. I just want to get the service department to book it in for "TSB XXXXX", as I know this problem exists on my truck.

Does anyone - including the GM Moderator have information I can provide the dealership service department so that I can book the truck to get the work performed? Is there anyway to get a link that points to the specific GM approved TSB that the service department would use?

Thanks all.

My truck has been at the dealer for several days now. The seat shifting/movement is one of the things they are fixing/fixed. Apparently it was both driver and passenger seat so they fixed both. When I talked to them on the phone they said they replaced the seat brackets. So, I don't know if it is a different repair or there was something else going on that led to that or if the adviser just didn't have all the specifics yet. It is there for another day or two (I gave them a list of issues). When I brought it in though they were not surprised at all that I was saying I was having the seat shift issue. They knew exactly what I was talking about.

My truck has been at the dealer for several days now. The seat shifting/movement is one of the things they are fixing/fixed. Apparently it was both driver and passenger seat so they fixed both. When I talked to them on the phone they said they replaced the seat brackets. So, I don't know if it is a different repair or there was something else going on that led to that or if the adviser just didn't have all the specifics yet. It is there for another day or two (I gave them a list of issues). When I brought it in though they were not surprised at all that I was saying I was having the seat shift issue. They knew exactly what I was talking about.

My dealer (ron tonkin chevy) says it's a common reported issue but says it probably won't do it, but I told them I can guarantee it will make the noise when I bring it on. Bringing it in this afternoon. All I know is they better fix this, it's a brand new truck , i didn't pay almost 40k for a pos truck. I could've saved money if I wanted a problematic truck and got an old used truck.

Edited by cs2016lt

Dug up the invoice, it states "PI1138A". It's fine after the repair.

Hi Mark - can you tell me how much labour there was here - how many hours? Any chance of a scan/upload on that invoice minus all the personal info?

Appreciate your contribution on this topic above - thanks very much.

My dealer (ron tonkin chevy) says it's a common reported issue but says it probably won't do it, but I told them I can guarantee it will make the noise when I bring it on. Bringing it in this afternoon. All I know is they better fix this, it's a brand new truck , i didn't pay almost 40k for a pos truck. I could've saved money if I wanted a problematic truck and got an old used truck.

I just picked it up today (right before work). So, I haven't had a chance to see if the seat shifting is really fixed. The other issues I listed of course "COULD NOT DUPLICATE PROBLEM AT THIS TIME". These included driver side window wind noise, shift issues, really really noisy rattling by the rear seat when in the stored/stowed position and a couple other issues. Such as, the vibration issue I did not have previously and that started just a few thousand miles ago. They stated "AFTER BALANCING AND ROTATING THE TIRE VEHICLE DOES NOT VIBRATE, PERFORM BALANCE AND ROTATE". Driver rear brake squeal at 8K (???). So, we will check these on the way home tomorrow.

The seat shifting from what I was told by the service adviser. "They replaced the mounting brackets for both the front driver and passenger seats (I only complained about the driver)." So, they determined it was both seats. The documentation only states "PERFORM REPAIRS ON LINE #9" (not entirely sure what that is). However, on a side note they "REPLACE(d) BOTH DRIVERS FRONT SEAT LANE DEPARTURE ACTUATORS AND AT THE SAME TIME ADDED 2 SEAT FRAME RETAINERS 1 ON EACH FRONT SEAT...".

So, not sure what line# 9 is. Anyone know? Maybe it is in one of the TSB's or something I don't have a copy of but I am sure have floated around the forum previously.

I just picked it up today (right before work). So, I haven't had a chance to see if the seat shifting is really fixed. The other issues I listed of course "COULD NOT DUPLICATE PROBLEM AT THIS TIME". These included driver side window wind noise, shift issues, really really noisy rattling by the rear seat when in the stored/stowed position and a couple other issues. Such as, the vibration issue I did not have previously and that started just a few thousand miles ago. They stated "AFTER BALANCING AND ROTATING THE TIRE VEHICLE DOES NOT VIBRATE, PERFORM BALANCE AND ROTATE". Driver rear brake squeal at 8K (???). So, we will check these on the way home tomorrow.

The seat shifting from what I was told by the service adviser. "They replaced the mounting brackets for both the front driver and passenger seats (I only complained about the driver)." So, they determined it was both seats. The documentation only states "PERFORM REPAIRS ON LINE #9" (not entirely sure what that is). However, on a side note they "REPLACE(d) BOTH DRIVERS FRONT SEAT LANE DEPARTURE ACTUATORS AND AT THE SAME TIME ADDED 2 SEAT FRAME RETAINERS 1 ON EACH FRONT SEAT...".

So, not sure what line# 9 is. Anyone know? Maybe it is in one of the TSB's or something I don't have a copy of but I am sure have floated around the forum previously.

I took it in the other day for a quick eval, they said there's supposed to be a TSB but it only applies for the 15's. However, I was able to make it happen at will to them. They almost appeared to not want to do any work despite it being a new vehicle with 3/36k on it. Shaddy practice... IMO.

Anyways, i'm dropping the vehicle off next week for them to pull the chair out and try to repair it or order parts.

It does not show much, but here you go.attachicon.gifScan0001.pdf

Thanks for posting Mark - cheers - sincerely appreciated. Truck is booked for Monday, we will see if they can get it, and if they try to bill me on it. Truck is still under warranty, so keeping fingers crossed. They are doing toe seatbelt, and airbag recalls at the same time.

Edited by MudPump

M

My dealer says my 16 doesn't have this mocement but it does. They say it's the cushion flexing onto the side panel where the power controls are

My 16 moves and clicks too. Haven't had it looked at yet.