Toyota Mexico Just Upped the Ante In the Midsize Pickup Sales Game

Gorehamj

post-139450-0-80292600-1473976328_thumb.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
9-15-2016

Toyota just announced that it will up its production of the Tacoma by 5,000 units per month by late 2017. Once this added production comes on line, Toyota will be able to about match the current output of all its Tacoma competitors combined.

If you have followed our sales reporting on the midsize truck market you know that we always are careful to include the fact that whatever the sales numbers, GM and Toyota are selling all the midisze trucks they can produce. The buying public is convinced. These are great products, in high demand. Nissan's aging Frontier is having a heck of a summer of sales, and it may be in part that buyers are having trouble getting the exact Tacoma, Colorado, and Canyon they want.

Before the Canyon and Colorado even arrived, Toyota expanded its production capability ahead of the new Tacoma for 2016. That move, two years ago, put Toyota in a better position to build roughly 13,000 Tacomas in total per month. By adding shifts, and moving other production around, Toyota can stretch that to about 17,000 per month, but has been averaging roughly 15,000 per month. The line is shared with the Tundra, so more Tacomas mean less Tundras in any given month.

If you are of the opinion that trucks sold in the United States should be built in the United States, you may be interested to know that the added 5,000 trucks Toyota plans to add will come from its Baja California, Mexico plant (TMMBC). Toyota's Mexican and Texan truck operations are physically close to one another, just like many of GM's component and production facilities in Michigan and Ontario are. The company doesn't usually provide details on how many Tacomas come from each location, since they are somewhat involved with one another, but did say today that "TMMBC to produce approximately 160,000 units in late 2017 / early 2018."

I used to like those coming into the quick lube.. early 90s.

I never memorized the motors..but 22re was one of them.

Unlike a K-car rapping its rods, or a honda with a 1 CFM idle, that 22re makes the inline and longitudinal worth something.

Not sure where they are today in standards, nothing outstanding.

Another thing to think of, the old half tons are now outdone by tacoma sizing and duramax canyons etc.

I'd br running to a dealer too, if I was not a mechanical over workaholic.

It might just be all the mid 90s frontiers are wearing out finally. I knew a guy that was as neglectful as you can imagine(I had to point out his shock had broken, and half of it had FALLEN OFF for him to realize why it was riding rough) and the truck just never let him down last I saw him. I think he changed the nothing special spark plugs at 148k Miles or something ridiculous, let a standard air filter go for like 60k Miles. I looked under the hood one day and was amazed the thing was running, and begged him to spend a few dollars at the parts store. Convinced him the truck was doing him a huge favor for still living, throw it a bone already!

I had a red 1984 Toyota X-tra Cab 4WD with 4 speed. It was sure pretty with big gold wheels, BF Goodrich A/T tires, gold pin stripes and matching camper shell. The drawbacks were the weak engine and no cruise control. Had it almost floored going through Kansas against a stiff southerly wind.

I know that on those 80s and 90s Toyotas, the powertrain was a tank, albeit underpowered yet it had the reliability that made Yohota famous. What killed those trucks (and cars) was them rusting out easier and faster vs the other vehicles.

Archived